Too many dorm tanks

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, this is a rescue mission. I was upgrading my tank from a 13 to a 30 gallon, and while I have 1 semester of school before I start the transfer, I have the tank set up.
30GL.jpg
The tank was a 9 month old system FULL of pods and liverock, so I skip-cycled and went to my LFS for a damsel and came out with a malnourished dragonet. It was so sad to see the little guy pecking at rocks but never getting any food. Yes, I know the chances of recovery are slim, but I saw that he was actively hunting and trying to feed and would be the only fish in the system so there is no competition, so I negotiated the price down and am giving the guy a shot. So far this is my 3rd day with him. On day 1 I just let him acclimate and get used to the tank (which he has still not left the right side of the tank),
dragonet under rock.jpg

day 2 I put him in a breeder and "force fed" frozen brine to try and set up a mandarin diner.

dragonet box.jpg

Today is day 3 and he spent almost all day inside the jar feeding on the Selcon-soaked brine. This gives me a lot of hope because he wants to eat and is making it easy on me.

dragonet in jar.jpg

Already I can see some life in him rather than hopelessly sitting around the bottom, he crawls all over the rockscape. I plan to add a fuge to increase the pods, but let me know any other suggestions I can take to ensure a healthy recovery. Are there better foods I should get him on? When do I replace the food in the diner? And what can I do to help him explore the rest of the pod-filled tank? Heres some pictures and I hope to be posting some fatter ones soon!!!

dragonet.jpg
dragonet on rock.jpg

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a diner do enough for its feeding habits? I understand they are constant feeders and are always looking for food due to their digestive tract. So if I have a diner with frozen brine and pellets always available, and it's eating in it regularly, is that enough (on top of pods) to give it some weight?

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin is still alive, and after moving this tank to school (I’m running out of room) I transferred the nano over and the 30g long reef is in full swing! This was an upgrade so unfortunately it’s all the same stuff I already had, but now I have room for 1 more fish and a bunch more corals!

Livestock includes:
2 clowns
Orchid dottybsck
Orange spotted goby
Mandarin Dragonet
Tiger pistol shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
Strawberry conch
Tuxedo urchin
CUC

IMG_6845.jpeg

IMG_6858.jpeg

IMG_6854.jpeg

IMG_6853.jpeg

I am looking for 1 centerpiece or MAYBE 2 more smaller fish like a pair of cardinals. Let me know your suggestions!

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a much better picture from today after everything has settled. My emerald crab nipped at my pipe organ so I moved him away, went to class, came back, and he was dead on his back. Maybe it died of heart break? Anyway… I have been debating between a Midas blenny and carpenters or McCoskers wrasse for my final “centerpiece” fish if anyone has opinions.

IMG_6871.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back