The ever so hated micro bubble (phase?)

notthatkindareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to reefing so there will obviously be multiple questions ... sorry. I am currently running an IM 15 cube with a Bubble Magus mini q. Also for filter media, I stuck a bag of ceramics, filter sponge and carbon media (underneath the overflow chambers. And the micro bubbles just wont give in. My tank is still in the introductory phase (7-8 days old) and I am getting hordes of microbubbles in the tank. They seem to be ejecting from the return nozzle, not from something in the actual tank. Now my question is how do I know if its the skimmer, filter media, or just a phase that the new tank has to go through? How do high/low should my overflow water level be? It's currently just below the other two chambers causing small bubbles above the media.

Another Random Question: How important is a controller for my lighting setup? (Nicrew 30w) They are super expensive for what seems like something that I may not yet need (no corals). YET!

P.S. I would like to add that I have no clue how to tell if I am getting the proper skim from my Mini Q or any skimmer for that fact. Frustrating, but it almost makes me love the hobby even more ticking with the gear. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an AIO right? I have an IM 10g AIO that will blow micro-bubbles out of the return anytime I let the return pump chamber level get more than 3/4" below the level of the previous chamber. I eventually put a prism ATO on it just to stop the bubbles.

I also had a problem early on with bubbles regardless of the water level that I was able to remedy by adjusting the orientation of the pump inlet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

notthatkindareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an AIO right? I have an IM 10g AIO that will blow micro-bubbles out of the return anytime I let the return pump chamber level get more than 3/4" below the level of the previous chamber. I eventually put a prism ATO on it just to stop the bubbles.

I also had a problem early on with bubbles regardless of the water level that I was able to remedy by adjusting the orientation of the pump inlet.
Yes it is an AIO. And for some reason every time I add more saltwater to the return section, it lowers back below the overflow boxes. Maybe its the upgraded return pump I am using which is 198 gph?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

notthatkindareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you face the inlet towards the wall of the aquarium?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you face the inlet towards the wall of the aquarium?

Thanks!
I pointed the inlet toward the outside wall of the aquarium to get it as far away as possible from the overflow of the previous chamber. However this little 10g setup only has a little MightyJet pump, and it is turned all the way down. You may be dealing with a lot more flow.

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is an AIO. And for some reason every time I add more saltwater to the return section, it lowers back below the overflow boxes. Maybe its the upgraded return pump I am using which is 198 gph?
If the pump intake is restricted the impeller may create a vacuum that pulls the dissolved oxygen out of the water and creates bubbles in the outflow.

Similarly, if the pump chamber is too shallow a vortex can pull air into the intake and the pump will spit out micro bubbles. This also happens when a wave pump inside the DT is too close to the surface.

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back