**The GHL Mitras LX7 LED**

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine 10-11" off the water and checked my Apex temp log, no noticeable impact when the lights are on.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine 10-11" off the water and checked my Apex temp log, no noticeable impact when the lights are on.

Same here, no noticeable impact @ 12" above rimless aquarium.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone having their water temps rising from these lights?
Yes, slight rise every day by ~.5 deg while lights are at peak.
upload_2017-10-12_22-50-50.png

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dragon99 that's about what I've seen. At peak, it wants to raise my tank over 80. If I keep the house about 1 or 2 degrees colder than I would like, it seems ok.
@MrMichael, are you programming w/GHL's controller b/c I dont know of way to control the lights outside of their own program and I have an APEX controller, not a GHL.

Maybe I should setup a few clouds to come by during peak hours :)

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you adjusted the fan within the lights to run up to 100%? default is locked at 60%, that may help cut down on the heat issue if the fixtures themselves are cooler.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrMichael, are you programming w/GHL's controller b/c I dont know of way to control the lights outside of their own program

I also control the light entirely thru GHL Control Center and while I own a Profilux, I don't use nor know how to drive the lights via the Profilux.

In the "energy options", I changed the output mode to High Output, but I believe it defaults to High Efficiency. I also adjusted the max fan to 100%, I believe it defaulted to 80%.

According to Light Composer, I'm getting ~75% of total output, so potentially I could run in High Efficiency? In Max. output power, it's also running with the default limit 80%. It does strike me as strange that the max output, energy mode, and fan speed are limited well below their max.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also control the light entirely thru GHL Control Center and while I own a Profilux, I don't use nor know how to drive the lights via the Profilux.

In the "energy options", I changed the output mode to High Output, but I believe it defaults to High Efficiency. I also adjusted the max fan to 100%, I believe it defaulted to 80%.

According to Light Composer, I'm getting ~75% of total output, so potentially I could run in High Efficiency? In Max. output power, it's also running with the default limit 80%. It does strike me as strange that the max output, energy mode, and fan speed are limited well below their max.
The light composer % is based on all channels at 100. The power setting still affects the overall ouput. So you at really running 80% of 76% of the max, so your light is running at 60% of the lights max.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light composer % is based on all channels at 100. The power setting still affects the overall ouput. So you at really running 80% of 76% of the max, so your light is running at 60% of the lights max.

That is what I expected. The part I don't know if is light composer understands over-driving particular LEDs while under-driving others. Might as well transition to 100% power before adjusting individuals. Thanks for the reply.

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you adjusted the fan within the lights to run up to 100%? default is locked at 60%, that may help cut down on the heat issue if the fixtures themselves are cooler.
I just did today. Why on earth would they not let it go to a 100% by default?
I also upped the max output to 95% which wont help my heat issue but will probably help the corals.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrMichael there is an addin card for the profilux to control Mitras from the head unit, but you can "force" them off via powerbar if needed.

@dangros i agree, but I think they do that to prevent people from nuking their tank. At 100% on all channels and 100% power these things are like 195w in output a piece, which is wild. It may also be required since they are made in Germany and who knows what regulations may exist, sorta like prop 65 in California where everything gives you cancer.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if I should back it back down then? No need to run using excessive power

A general rule, no more than 10% change in a week. Acclimation mode works nicely. Crank it to 100% from 80% and use acclimation mode to ramp from 80 to 100 over say 3 weeks. That's what I'm doing

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from kessils and given the totally different lighting style I started at 50% and ramping up under acclimation mode over a month and a half. Nice and slow, and done without extra input! :)

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would one be alright for a 36' tank? or two required.. looking between these & radions...

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Be102 a 36" tank seems large for just one. If you have only LPS, I'll bet it would do but I doubt it would be fine for SPS if they were at the edges. Having said that, 2 would be intense on that tank.
I have 2 on my 48" (90g) tank and it's running at close to peak power when maxed out at noon.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back