THE GREAT AND CURIOUS RAPTURE OF THE PEARL-BERRY...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The thing is, back in the "good old days”, I suppose not a whole lot unlike today really, there were always corals that would become extremely popular and consequently extremely common. A lot of the old Tyree and ORA stuff for sure, Pink lemonade, the Rainbow Monti, Garf Bonsai, Shades of Fall, Red Planet, Palmers Blue Milli even, just to name a few. These pieces along with many others grew fast, were hyper propagated and passed around. A lot! Especially with the growing popularity of reef forums and classifieds, sharing of valuable knowledge. Sps became easier and easier to keep alive and actually propagate. People growing out colonies, swapping and selling and such meant that so many of these older gems were just everywhere. Of course back then I think the barrel that we had to pick out it was a lot smaller so there weren't as many pieces to choose from on the grander scale. But after a certain point getting your hands on any one of these was for the most part a breeze. They were very available and very affordable.

Lots of us had these pieces, and lots of us propagated them. And I think in many cases, within a year or two of their initial “releases” they became ubiquitous, demand plummeted just as fast as their prices did. Great! That's really what it’s all about if you ask me. In fact, I relish watching this cycle play out again and again, as extreme scarcity eventually becomes exhausted ubiquity,

Now if you're still with me, I think it's safe to say that we'd expect most of these corals to be even more prevalent these days having been circulating for so long, and passed around and sold for so many years. I mean literally, we should all have a piece of Pink Lemonade thriving in our tank somewhere. Or at least know someone who does. Or at the very least have no trouble whatsoever finding a frag if we wanted one. Right? But the remarkably odd thing, is that almost the exact opposite is true. No one's got the old PL anymore! And the same goes for a multitude of these older classics.

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 3.45.03 PM.png

I find that very odd and believe that something strange, or rather unexplained has happened with most of these "would be" classics. And that is to say that after certain amount of time or certain amount of “something”, many of these corals that were so ubiquitous, somehow kind of just fell off the map to the extent that nobody’s got them anymore. And being in the position that I am as a vendor, I am pretty in tune to how often people look for some of these older pieces, and how often they are nowhere to be found.

This is interesting to me and I ask myself, why is a once otherwise extremely popular and common coral that thrived in captivity in numerous tanks and conditions, not so suddenly, nearly impossible to find? I mean seriously, why did we all loose them? Is it possible in any way, that some sps essentially "expire" for lack of a better word after a certain amount of time in captivity. Regardless of the condition they are kept in? Based on what I have personally seen and experienced over roughly 20 years of reefing, as odd as it sounds I want to say that there is some minute amount of truth to this.

In my case, a lot of these instances in particular, certain corals were all lost among people I knew and traded with around the same time window, which is even more interesting to me and further demonstrates this "Sps expiration" theory. That is not to say these pieces are all 100% extinct in captivity. I'm sure many of these corals are still out there somewhere, but the vast majority of thriving captive pieces are all but gone. The best example I can think of this happening is with the ORA Pearlberry sometime around 2012-2013. This was a coral that was really popular and traded and sold like crazy. It grew like weed for so many of us and in my neck of the woods at least it was deemed a “freebie” in a surprisingly short amount of time. Then, truly as “all of a sudden” as it can get, we all just kind of lost it, for reasons no one really ever zeroed in on. And not long after that I started getting asked about it. More and more people were looking for it and not having any luck. It was literally like the masses had all lost this thing, all at the same time. I mean that's weird right? The same can be said about the once extremely coveted Red Dragon that dominated the desires of sps fanatics in 2012 like never before. Within a couple years of that initial craze, we all had a softball or two, or three of this thing. Fast forward to today, and while you’d expect the Red Dragon to be as common as clownfish, I don’t think there’s much of it left out there either. And I can come up with quite a few more examples that followed this course as well to some extent, and I really just ponder why that is.

How does an otherwise super adapted, captive coral suddenly just stop doing well for multiple people in multiple environments under multiple circumstances, and simply fade out of captive existence? Is this really happening or is it just me?

How about it, you having trouble finding a coral you are nostalgic about that was popular as ever but now seems long lost? Or more specifically, did you happen to loose your Pearlberry around 2013 as well? Like the rest of us...

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 5.56.50 PM.png

Last edited:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with an answer other than people started making space in their closet for the new clothes, figuratively. I am thankful for the Mother of Pearl you picked (well everything else too) for me as it is an oldie that I forgot about. I can’t wait for it to grow out!

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree. I’d love to get a pearlberry, red dragon, purple monster, or a bunch of the oldies. You just can’t find them anymore. I honestly don’t think this is due to coral expiration but actually hobby turnover.

They were such quick growers, but I also know very few hobbyists from back then. As you mention, some even became “freebies”. So I could imagine there was a high likelihood that several got trashed as people fell out of the hobby either as a unsuccessful newbie or just an OG who got out, couldn’t find a taker in a timely manner so just pitched it.

I tell ya what. If you can find some of those oldies and get them grown out, you’d have me as a buyer to get a few.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to some killer Battlecorals acros, I am lucky to have some nice old school pieces too :)
Tyree PL
ORA Tri-color
ORA Pearlberry
ORA Hawkins
Red Dragon
Greg Hiller's Aquamarine Jewel
You should totally send Adam a frag or two of these for grow outs ;) (for the hobby of course )

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of vendors who carry Red Dragon. I love that coral but haven't had a lot of luck keeping it. I've been in the hobby long enough to remember when the scientists said that SPS corals could not be kept in captivity. The amateur aquarists said, "Hold my beer".

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have large colonies of Tyree's Pink Lemonade, ORA Pearlberry, Garf's Bonsai, etc. From time to time I have dent and scratch sales at dirt cheap prices after breaking some pieces accidentally. However, no one in the local reef clubs seem to want them. People are either looking for currently popular Tenuis or LPS's that are hot at the moment.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Adam.. I have also noticed this. I wonder if some type of bug, bacteria, fungas, or virus has become widespread in our tanks and has cause issues with some of these old corals... I lost my 10+ year old large colonies of Red Planet, GARFs Bonsi, Triccolor, Hawkins and others due to a suspected soil bacteria that slowly consumed them. That happened around 5 or 6 years ago.. I was able to keep a small frag of each.. but they have never thrived as they did before...

Last edited:

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been able to collect some of the old classics also over the years. ora pearlberry, ora red planet, ora hawkins, ora chips, ora skyline, pink lemonade, red dragon, palmers milli, shades of fall, probably a few more but dont remember right off the top of my head. chips can be a touchy one. My frag tank colony is doing good but in the display It is starting to stn for some reason. guess this might be part of the demise of that particular coral for most peoples tanks.
Jeff

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss all of them, they were classics that grew fast and were colorful. I would love to have a frag of each if only if I could keep anything other then a leather alive in my current tank but that's a totally different story.

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a relatively new person here who has lurked for over a decade, with a Hawkins and Oregon Tort and Bali Slimer, Pink Tip, Red Robin, and a handful of others sps...

Honestly I really enjoy them more than the newer releases in some cases. I reached out to Adam and haven't placed an order yet, but the most helpful thing I've found when looking for frags is I basically take 10-20 steps back from the tank and say to myself,

"What is the most appeasing to look at from here?"

Then I move forward or ask about that specific coral. 9 times out of 10 it's usually been a coral that has been in the hobby quite a while.

That said, I usually have my lights on the whiter side of the spectrum. You can see my post about, "No name" SPS. It's interesting to see people buying names to buy names. As a buyer, I find myself asking, what do I want to look at, and want am I willing to risk?

I would venture a belief that we have created genetic dimorphisms within the hobby that are too fragile, easily lost, and perhaps a little perverted in their florescence.

To be honest, I find that picking slow growing corals in general can do way more harm than good to the inexperienced reefer. Sometimes corals die. Understanding that you shouldn't bend over backwards for a single frag's unhappiness is ultimately key to success, so someone new who has a slow grower will likely extort their own trust over it, asking themselves why it's not growing, why it died, why it's dying back....

The question shouldn't be able the coral, the question should be about the water and the light.

Going back to classics... I really enjoy them and honestly I wish as a vendor that you asked it as a option at checkout. Obviously you have a box for accomodations, but there's a glut of corals with very minute differendces that really, genuinely should be viewed as potentially genetic dimorphisms of other, preexisting coral names.

Obviously there is a ton of marketing and free advertising in having your name on a coral, and you probably deserve it, but Adam dropping names or anyone else won't stop the name game, or change it.

The best way to support classic corals is to push beginners towards them first. When asking, "Red Robin" or " Tide Pod Confetti", we should really attach a "Birthday" to certain frags so that people who absolutely want the "latest and greatest" can play that but the people who want really tried and true corals can do that too. I think part of the problem is just lack of availability at the vendor level. They make money selling crazy stuff, not necessarily reliable stuff.

Just my opinion. So many of these corals today don't look very nice under white light, and it can be a struggle to view fish under blue lights, I find the best corals are the ones that seem the most realistic and supportive of a lighting that allows me to get the most enjoyment out of the tank.

For me, that means seeing growth, seeing happy corals, sharing frags, seeing color under more white spectrums, and having a low cost relative to some of these other ones out there.

This is all my opinion. If I found a maricultured frag I enjoyed, and sold, I suppose I'd name it after something important to me like my dog.
You gotta buy what makes you happy, not what you think will make you happy. Until you have a full blown, fully grown out reef tank, it seems naive to suggest that the corals will make it long enough to reach full colony size, especially the slower growers.

Just what I've gathered from lots of reading and lurking here. I appreciate everything you guys do for aquaculture, but I do think it's important that people look first at the bigger picture before they look at a name.... The tank itself, and their happiness with it.

It's disappointing to not see these classic corals available in B+M to those new to the hobby as they are the ideal customer for them.

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say from a US standpoint and things are different here in the U.K.

In part this could because some of the vendors where actually selling chops of mariculture colonies. What was advertised as Frags on the assumption they were captive grown, they were in reality captive based out Frags. Hence the variability of how well they did. The amount of coral houses with large mothers serving the market is to most part, non existent.

The exporters will send what’s selling and it’s a vicious cycle and why many shops are currently filled with Tenuis. Compound this with the fact that the £250 ships want from premium Mari colonies, which most people won’t pay for results in these corals being cut into £35-50 Frags that will sell.

The really successful stuff, like Stylo Milka, or the various birds nest can barely be given away.

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as rare corals you guys might laugh but I was talking to a fellow reefer and he brought up that purple striped mushrooms seemingly disappeared.

I didn't believe it but yeah. Purple striped discosoma are now somewhat hard to come by for whatever reason.

Theducatiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have large colonies of Tyree's Pink Lemonade, ORA Pearlberry, Garf's Bonsai, etc. From time to time I have dent and scratch sales at dirt cheap prices after breaking some pieces accidentally. However, no one in the local reef clubs seem to want them. People are either looking for currently popular Tenuis or LPS's that are hot at the moment.
You let me know when you have a scratch and dent sale of the OG stuff.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should totally send Adam a frag or two of these for grow outs ;) (for the hobby of course )

I actually re-booted in January and kicked the re-boot off with a large battlebox. I obtained these old schoolers from and old school hobbyist, like Adam, chunky frags. I am sure Adam had all of these in a secure vault tank, lol, if not, I would most certainly help the cause ;) I won't bother fragging any of these, in the Orlando area, it's all about the hype, so these, and no-namers, despite their colors and beauty, are not so desirable. Really, I am in search of the ORA German Blue Polyp, have been since 2007, lol :) Next is ORA Dustins Deepwater....hmmm showing my age

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of the classics seem to have come full circle in my opinion. A few years ago I was looking for a red planet, pearl berry, pink lemonade. Almost nobody had them and if they did it showed “out of stock” for months and never switched to “in-stock”. I am now seeing these corals and have finally got my hands on them. Pearl berry generally being the most expensive and most likely “might not be the real deal”. I got one from an old timer, therefore I believe it’s a real pearl berry. I’m happy to see these beautiful corals back on the market for a fraction of the fancy tenuis prices.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing but old school SPS in my latest setup. While I haven’t had too hard of a time securing them, as they are still abundantly available locally, some are still out of my grasp. Perhaps I haven’t looked hard enough but I can’t recall the last time I saw a Tyree Purple Monster. Then again, I stopped chasing and collecting corals years ago. Really, the only must have was my Pro Corals Rainbow and Superman. Still trying to track down a PC Superman.

I like the OGs. They grow well, look great and are proven winners.

Now, I simply choose corals on there color, growth patterns, growth rate And most importantly how they will fit into the overall aesthetics of the reef display. Some people collect corals, other grow out reef displays. :p

But hey, if you need OG’s I got you. Looking at a nice Pearlberry colony in my display as I type this. @Perry if you ever come up to Michigan you or Adam are welcome to frags of all my OGs. My reef is littered with the ORA German Blue, lol.

-Sonny

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing but old school SPS in my latest setup. While I haven’t had too hard of a time securing them, as they are still abundantly available locally, some are still out of my grasp. Perhaps I haven’t looked hard enough but I can’t recall the last time I saw a Tyree Purple Monster. Then again, I stopped chasing and collecting corals years ago. Really, the only must have was my Pro Corals Rainbow and Superman. Still trying to track down a PC Superman.

I like the OGs. They grow well, look great and are proven winners.

Now, I simply choose corals on there color, growth patterns, growth rate And most importantly how they will fit into the overall aesthetics of the reef display. Some people collect corals, other grow out reef displays. :p

But hey, if you need OG’s I got you. Looking at a nice Pearlberry colony in my display as I type this. @Perry if you ever come up to Michigan you or Adam are welcome to frags of all my OGs. My reef is littered with the ORA German Blue, lol.

-Sonny

Dang Sonny, you kidding me! I have seriously been chasing that one for so long, I gave up. It seems Dustins Deepwater is even more elusive, I had it too, which pains me, sat right next to an ORA Phil's Granulosa, lol... My PB is legit, but I tell ya, that ole Greg Hiller's Aquamarine Jewel has my full attention!

IMG_20220515_151354_193.jpg

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
excellent discussion guys! I had a feeling this one would bring a few old schoolers out of the woodwork! lol.

oddly enough I've heard this coral mentioned more than anything else in response to this write up. when I listed the few specific corals in the first paragraph in my original drat it did include the ORA German blue specifically. But I truncated it to the general "ORA corals". That one has always been close to my heart. And I really want rot mention the Dustins deepwater.,but even in its heyday nobody could find that one! right up there with the extremely elusive "grafted simplex".

Which does bring up another point. There were a number of oldies that were still never easy to find. Slow growers or just finicky maybe. And these pieces have moved past the simple label of , "classics" and are all but reefing legends at the point.

anyway. here my German blue circa 2008 ish maybe

german blue polyp.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back