THE GREAT AND CURIOUS RAPTURE OF THE PEARL-BERRY...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a shot of one of the Pearlberrys in my display.

F1117E7D-B076-4C44-9590-CE1847ED1868.jpeg
Sure looks like it did under metal halide lamps! My large Pearlberry colony under Radion looks very different from the way it used to look under MH lamps. I need to take a frag and move it down and see what happens.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like it did under metal halide lamps! My large Pearlberry colony under Radion looks very different from the way it used to look under MH lamps. I need to take a frag and move it down and see what happens.

I found that the combo of a whiter look and placing it between 175-200 PAR did the trick. If you’re not already doing so, give it a shot.

From my experience, the OG corals look best under lighting that is closer to 10K, similar to the XM10K MHs and Actinic Blue VHO we would run back in the days. For instance, under a bluer spectrum the same Pearlberry I posted was a line green.

@rtparty may be on to something here. Perhaps the shift from whiter to bluer spectrum lighting caused the OGs to fall out of favor due to the new variances in appearance. It makes complete sense as to why such coveted corals faded away.

Because in my opinion, and under the correct spectrum of lighting, the OG corals are hard to beat. The newer generation simply hasn’t seen them in all their glory.

Let’s bring the OGs back! It’s start with us, here and now.

-Sonny

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The same can be said about the once extremely coveted Red Dragon that dominated the desires of sps fanatics in 2012 like never before. Within a couple years of that initial craze, we all had a softball or two, or three of this thing. Fast forward to today, and while you’d expect the Red Dragon to be as common as clownfish, I don’t think there’s much of it left out there either. And I can come up with quite a few more examples that followed this course as well to some extent, and I really just ponder why that is.
I still keep some of the classics in my grow out system, and the red dragon is one of my favorites. Updated pic from my growout system. Great thread topic, Adam!

A4082DDB-CE9A-4433-9760-EB10D0BA2BD6.jpeg

Last edited:

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that the combo of a whiter look and placing it between 175-200 PAR did the trick. If you’re not already doing so, give it a shot.

From my experience, the OG corals look best under lighting that is closer to 10K, similar to the XM10K MHs and Actinic Blue VHO we would run back in the days. For instance, under a bluer spectrum the same Pearlberry I posted was a line green.

@rtparty may be on to something here. Perhaps the shift from whiter to bluer spectrum lighting caused the OGs to fall out of favor due to the new variances in appearance. It makes complete sense as to why such coveted corals faded away.

Because in my opinion, and under the correct spectrum of lighting, the OG corals are hard to beat. The newer generation simply hasn’t seen them in all their glory.

Let’s bring the OGs back! It’s start with us, here and now.

-Sonny
Thank you Sonny for the info. I like a whiter look than the currently popular deep blue look. I run a combination of Kessil and Radion at somewhere between 10K and 14K. I will place a frag of Pearlberry near the bottom of my 180 and see what happens.

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still keep some of the classics in my grow out system, and the red dragon is one of my favorites. Updated pic from my growout system. Great thread topic, Adam!

that acro structure looks amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:

wolfen281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Ha. yes! wow thats nice man I suppose thats about what we'd all have if we still had ours too. Nice work my friend. lol I amazing coral and even more amazing or baffling really to me that it became so......well.....less appealing for lack of a better term, as it became so common in that time window. I guess I kind of forgot how cool that one looked all grown up like that. maybe thats part of it. either way thanks for sharing!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Red Dragon's biggest downfall was how quick it grew and dominated everything else around it.

As many of us in here know, growth actually becomes a major pest as corals block light and flow for everyone else.

As Jake Adams said, "Everything we put in our tanks becomes a pest if given enough time." Fast growing SPS are certainly a pest IMO

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Speaking of Old School classics not being hot- I can’t even sell nice frags of Oregon Tort like these in my local club unless I literally give them away. :loudly-crying-face:

13515AA9-3FD5-4A12-A305-2885BD8F5DF9.jpeg

I feel your pain! I have colonies of 5-6 SPS and no one bites at $20 for them. Yet, they will walk in to a LFS and pay $50 for a frag of the same thing.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of Old School classics not being hot- I can’t even sell nice frags of Oregon Tort like these in my local club unless I literally give them away. :loudly-crying-face:

Oregon tort is is on my list of wants. That’s a definite classic

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sad...
Amazing frags of an amazing coral, that should be easy to move. RAP moons ago, worked with a LFS, who actually took in corals that were the EXACT same as the big boys, and sold w/o name, and didn’t move, even at 75% less than the big boys. Same exact coral, same wholesaler, same import. Too much trickery in the game, Adam is the "real deal", as others.

PinHeadBunny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that everyone is having a hard time finding Pearlberry and a few others. TSA just posted a thread that they have a lot of the classics in stock.

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking about this last week when I was looking for an Oregon Tort. I was also SO excited when I got the Greg C Ultimate Efflo in my last battlebox. Unfortunately I lost it :(

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was just thinking about this last week when I was looking for an Oregon Tort. I was also SO excited when I got the Greg C Ultimate Efflo in my last battlebox. Unfortunately I lost it :(
Bummer! will absolutely replace this guy for you next time. Please don't let me forget. Everything else doing ok then?

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer! will absolutely replace this guy for you next time. Please don't let me forget. Everything else doing ok then?
Unfortunately the only Battlecoral left in my system right now is the Aquatic-Man Table but it's about the size of my fist and tabling out. It's the biggest SPS in the aquarium.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unfortunately the only Battlecoral left in my system right now is the Aquatic-Man Table but it's about the size of my fist and tabling out. It's the biggest SPS in the aquarium.
Awe man I am really sorry to hear this. I'll definitely work with you on some replacements in the future. Glad to hear the aquatic is still going strong at least:)

lost1317

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA German Blue! I bought a small frag from you years ago and unfortunately lost it. Haven't seen one since. Top 5 all time acro for me!
I would love to find a frag of this. Also one of my top acros ever

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back