The Great Coral Giveaway — Week 4 of 6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
We are pleased to announce the coral for week #4 of The Great Coral Giveaway!

We are giving away a coral a week for 6 weeks. To enter, all you have to do is like or leave a comment under the coral up for contention each week on our Facebook page.

Winners will be randomly selected each Friday during the entry period. Care instructions will be provided in the caption of each coral photo.

This week's coral: a Pink Polyp Encrusting Montipora with a faint baby blue base. Good luck, everyone!

THE GREAT CORAL GIVEAWAY — 2012

Coral #4: Pink Polyp Encrusting Montipora

Description: "For all you SPS lovers out there, check out this beautiful Pink Polyp Encrusting Montipora! It's hard to tell from the photo because of the blue halides, but the base color is actually a faint baby blue!!!"

HOW TO ENTER: Simply like this photo or leave a comment before 12 pm PST on Friday, 7/27.

HOW TO WIN: Winner will be chosen at random. Winner will receive the Pink Polyp Encrusting Montipora plus a bottle of Aqua Vision Aquatics Coral Dip Solution (Aqua Vision Aquatics Coral Dip Solution - 1 oz).

Scientific Name: montipora sp.
Care Level: Medium
Temperament: Peaceful
Lighting: High intensity
Waterflow: Moderate
Placement: Middle to top
Water Parameters: Temperature: 72-78° F; pH 8.1-8.3; Specific Gravity 1.023-1.025; dKH 8-12; Calcium 400-450ppm; Nitrate > 5ppm
Supplements: Calcium, magnesium, strontium and trace elements
Family: Acroporidae

Montipora sp. corals are one of the hardier SPS corals. They are typically more tolerant of varying lighting and flow conditions than other SPS corals, such as acropora sp. The encrusting montipora can be found in a variety of colors. The more common specimens are typically solid brown, green or orange. The more exotic multi-color specimens may have wild combinations of blue, pink, orange or purple. With the right water and lighting conditions, the encrusting motipora can grow quite rapidly. Regular feedings with coral foods and trace elements may boost color and growth. It is a popular coral among reef aquarium hobbyists because it can be propagated fairly easily to create new frags to sell or trade.

SPONSORS: MarineDepot.com, JBJ Aquarium Products and Aqua Vision Aquatics

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Beautiful piece!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back