The great sand bed debate

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started a predator tank so we can not have any fish that clean the sand beds. After the initial cycle was complete I have been vacuuming the sand bed every time I do a water change as a preventative measure. We have a CUC but they don't do the best job at stirring it up.

What do you do with your sand beds and why?

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The gerneral consensus is either vacuum your sandbed regularly, or not at all. My 400g sps system I don’t touch it. The system is on autopilot. My sons 13.5 fluval evo I do a weekly 50% WC and vacuum the sand.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef, but I just leave the sand bed as is. I have a lot of nassarius snails, black cucumbers and conches that do a half decent job of turning it over and keeping it sparkling white.

OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gerneral consensus is either vacuum your sandbed regularly, or not at all. My 400g sps system I don’t touch it. The system is on autopilot. My sons 13.5 fluval evo I do a weekly 50% WC and vacuum the sand.
In a 400 gallon I would hope it was on auto pilot! Lol. I feel like if it wasn't it would be a chore that got old fast

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started a predator tank so we can not have any fish that clean the sand beds. After the initial cycle was complete I have been vacuuming the sand bed every time I do a water change as a preventative measure. We have a CUC but they don't do the best job at stirring it up.

What do you do with your sand beds and why?
I have never cleaned a sand bed while a tank is up and running and have never had any inverts deigned for that either. Have approx 1 inch and just leave it as is. Although I seem to move tanks around every 3 years or so and it gets a really good cleaning then.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back