The Great Slug Study (All data wanted)

The Wyld Zone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again R2R. I awaken from my cryogenically induced slumber (some call it living under a rock), to HOPEFULLY incite a large scale data pooling on marine slugs.
My background: 17 years of independent study on inverts as an amature marine biologist, long time reef keeper, and marine goods retailer. Which essentially means I'm just a moron with a keyboard and an obsession.
Recently on an excursion to a remote invert heavy inlet I came across a series of grey and black blobs covering rocks laden with turf algae. To my suprise these blobs moved, they ate too. With a grey blob of my own and point of sale microscope and the lordly powers of Google I realized they were Onchidella Floridana, a pulmonate sea slug! Well I just had to know more... and that's where it began. Because there really wasn't a lot more. I thought "I wonder what other slugs we do know about", still not a lot. Hell, even the data on Elysia Crispata (lettuce sea slug) is lacking.

So I'm reaching out to you at Reef2Reef to see if we can't fill in some blanks.

On my end I will be posting my observational study data to seperate threads for each species and then linking them back here in the main post.
What I hope for, is for users to post observational data, studies and other threads here. I will go through the data and either add it to a current study or link it up here.

Slug love!

OP
OP
The Wyld Zone

The Wyld Zone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again R2R. I awaken from my cryogenically induced slumber (some call it living under a rock), to HOPEFULLY incite a large scale data pooling on marine slugs.
My background: 17 years of independent study on inverts as an amature marine biologist, long time reef keeper, and marine goods retailer. Which essentially means I'm just a moron with a keyboard and an obsession.
Recently on an excursion to a remote invert heavy inlet I came across a series of grey and black blobs covering rocks laden with turf algae. To my suprise these blobs moved, they ate too. With a grey blob of my own and point of sale microscope and the lordly powers of Google I realized they were Onchidella Floridana, a pulmonate sea slug! Well I just had to know more... and that's where it began. Because there really wasn't a lot more. I thought "I wonder what other slugs we do know about", still not a lot. Hell, even the data on Elysia Crispata (lettuce sea slug) is lacking.

On my end I will be posting my observational study data to seperate threads for each species and then linking them back here in the main post.
What I hope for, is for users to post observational data, studies and other threads here. I will go through the data and either add it to a current study or link it up here.

Slug love!

OP
OP
The Wyld Zone

The Wyld Zone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Slug love!

OP
OP
The Wyld Zone

The Wyld Zone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Slug love!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back