Elysia Crispata Observational Study TWZ

The Wyld Zone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observational data

Locomotion: Like many snails and slugs the Elysia Crispata moves with a singular foot. Like most Elysia, they lack the ability to cling to a surface, instead they prefer to glide in low flow zones and will secrete a thin, and nearly invisible, thread of slime that it will use when dislodged, to reattach its self to a semi rigid surface. Like many other marine slugs, the Crispata will cling to the surface of the water column when in extremely low flow. Why this behavior occurs is a complete mystery to me, I personally see no benefit on most species, however it by all accounts, appears to be an intentional action. Another interesting observation: I recently observed multiple Crispata moving from a higher area in the water column to the bottom using their invisible mucal secretions, the grace in which this was done leads me to believe it's a natural method of movement.

Diet: The Elysia Crispata is a suctorial feeder, that means it literally sucks out the contents of its chosen meal from the inside out. But these strange little creatures kick it up a notch (no not the bearded swede). The Crispata will suck out the algae cells whole and then by means not quite understood, they separate the chloroplasts and send them to their Parapodia where they are used to allow the slug to photosynthesize. As such, they should be considered photosyenthitic when keeping them, however photosynthesis is not enough to sustain them.
From research I have seen, the Crispata will choose specific calcified macroalgae in their pre calcified state, and feed on them until the algae reaches the season it becomes completely calcified, at this point the Crispata will rely primarily on the stored Chloroplasts.

Here are a list of algae I have observed these slugs eating:
Caulerpa Sertularoides
Caulerpa Ashmeadii
Caulerpa Racemosa
Caulerpa microphysa
Caulerpa Verticalata
Gracilaria Parvispora (requires further data)
Bryopsis
(more algae tests to come)

They will NOT feed on most strains of turf and hair algae. Nor do I recommend they be used as cleaners without protecting pumps and intakes.

Breeding: They will spawn in the right conditions. The conditions I have observed are :
Temp: 84-87F
Salinity: 1.027-1.033
Light Cycle: 12 on 12 off... some will understand why that's peculiar ;)

Other ranges did not have any affect on spawning however long term data is pending. Egg viability data to be provided by Nov.

Lifespan: Data pending. By the time they make it to retail they generally have a lifespan of 1-5 months. Upon (natural) death they will disintegrate in to a foul smelling slime, however when they are killed they rapidly disintegrate in to a VERY foul smelling and toxic slime. Inverts attempting to eat the corpse of a slug killed by a salinity shift either died or ran off rapidly. The smell when removed is reminiscent of paint thinner mixed with a briny dead snail smell. Very unpleasant.

Tolerated water parameters.
Salinity: 1.023-1.045
Nitrate: 80ppm
Phosphate : 5.0ppm

Viability in a mixed reef: Fairly limited, they tend to get blown around by powerheads until they are sucked in to the overflow or an angry powerhead. Curious fish will peck at them repeatedly, they are easily lost.

Viability in a species only/macro/nano: Excellent, overflows are easily screened and pumps can be covered and set to lower flow rates. They require food more than light however they will benefit from red spectrum heavy lighting such as a grow light or even direct sunlight. Food intake can be controlled and monitored, they are a fairly forgiving animal when given food and low flow.

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observational data

Locomotion: Like many snails and slugs the Elysia Crispata moves with a singular foot. Like most Elysia, they lack the ability to cling to a surface, instead they prefer to glide in low flow zones and will secrete a thin, and nearly invisible, thread of slime that it will use when dislodged, to reattach its self to a semi rigid surface. Like many other marine slugs, the Crispata will cling to the surface of the water column when in extremely low flow. Why this behavior occurs is a complete mystery to me, I personally see no benefit on most species, however it by all accounts, appears to be an intentional action. Another interesting observation: I recently observed multiple Crispata moving from a higher area in the water column to the bottom using their invisible mucal secretions, the grace in which this was done leads me to believe it's a natural method of movement.

Diet: The Elysia Crispata is a suctorial feeder, that means it literally sucks out the contents of its chosen meal from the inside out. But these strange little creatures kick it up a notch (no not the bearded swede). The Crispata will suck out the algae cells whole and then by means not quite understood, they separate the chloroplasts and send them to their Parapodia where they are used to allow the slug to photosynthesize. As such, they should be considered photosyenthitic when keeping them, however photosynthesis is not enough to sustain them.
From research I have seen, the Crispata will choose specific calcified macroalgae in their pre calcified state, and feed on them until the algae reaches the season it becomes completely calcified, at this point the Crispata will rely primarily on the stored Chloroplasts.

Here are a list of algae I have observed these slugs eating:
Caulerpa Sertularoides
Caulerpa Ashmeadii
Caulerpa Racemosa
Caulerpa microphysa
Caulerpa Verticalata
Gracilaria Parvispora (requires further data)
Bryopsis
(more algae tests to come)

They will NOT feed on most strains of turf and hair algae. Nor do I recommend they be used as cleaners without protecting pumps and intakes.

Breeding: They will spawn in the right conditions. The conditions I have observed are :
Temp: 84-87F
Salinity: 1.027-1.033
Light Cycle: 12 on 12 off... some will understand why that's peculiar ;)

Other ranges did not have any affect on spawning however long term data is pending. Egg viability data to be provided by Nov.

Lifespan: Data pending. By the time they make it to retail they generally have a lifespan of 1-5 months. Upon (natural) death they will disintegrate in to a foul smelling slime, however when they are killed they rapidly disintegrate in to a VERY foul smelling and toxic slime. Inverts attempting to eat the corpse of a slug killed by a salinity shift either died or ran off rapidly. The smell when removed is reminiscent of paint thinner mixed with a briny dead snail smell. Very unpleasant.

Tolerated water parameters.
Salinity: 1.023-1.045
Nitrate: 80ppm
Phosphate : 5.0ppm

Viability in a mixed reef: Fairly limited, they tend to get blown around by powerheads until they are sucked in to the overflow or an angry powerhead. Curious fish will peck at them repeatedly, they are easily lost.

Viability in a species only/macro/nano: Excellent, overflows are easily screened and pumps can be covered and set to lower flow rates. They require food more than light however they will benefit from red spectrum heavy lighting such as a grow light or even direct sunlight. Food intake can be controlled and monitored, they are a fairly forgiving animal when given food and low flow.
Any updates ? We have recently attempted lettuce sea slugs and having issues keeping them fed and alive.

OP
OP
The Wyld Zone

The Wyld Zone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates ? We have recently attempted lettuce sea slugs and having issues keeping them fed and alive.
Yes I have a very important update. As for keeping them feel free to send me a PM with the tank specs and inhabitants and I can probably help you figure it out. If you find them disappearing its likely an inhabitant predating them.

OP
OP
The Wyld Zone

The Wyld Zone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMPORTANT OBSERVATION:

I was curious as to the toxicity or potential infection from deceased Elysia Crispata. So when I discovered one that had died of natural causes I contained it in a breeder box in my pest tank with a colony of palys and introduced the rest of the slugs I owned with the corpse. Before I give the results, please understand these slugs were killed for a further understanding of their species and how to keep them, it was not my intention to cause unnecessary loss of life or suffering and this was not done out of cruelty or a lack of care. I love these animals deeply but understanding how they die is one part of the puzzle unfortunately.

So with that out of the way here are the results:
Parameters:
Temp: 87
Salinity: 1.030
Tank Size: 10 gallons
Filtration: Mechanical only in the form of filter floss
No carbon was run

12 Hours after exposure there was an avoidance of the corpse in the confined space by Elysia Crispata.
24 Hours later and the palythoa began to show signs of stress. 2 Elysia Crispata died and the rest became elongated at all times even when agitated. No change in Oxynoe Olivacea. No change in Elysia Pratensis. Mild agitation and avoidance by Elysia Subornata. No change in Chelidonura Varians.
48 Hours After Exposure all Elysia Crispata were deceased, all Chelidonura Varians were deceased, 2 out of 20 Elysia Subornata were deceased (note: I suspect the Subornata died of other causes rather than exposure however I will record the deaths for posterity). Elysia Pratensis were unaffected, Onchidella were unaffected (note: I do not consider this species as included in this study, due to their intertidal nature and tendancy to travel and rest past the water line for prolonged periods of time, this will skew any exposure data). One predatory red micro brittle star was found deceased after consuming an Elysia corpse. Multiple polychaete worms were found deceased after consuming the corpse but this did not deter further attempts at consumption by other polychaete worms until the corpse had reduced to a yellow and green sludge. No affect on any other inverts including a juvenile Petrochirus diogenes and other juvenile intertidal Atlantic native hermits, flatworms, unidentified detritivores and multiple species of copepepod/amphipod.

Conclusion:
I believe the corpses emit potentially toxic substances and can be a mild hazard to small predatory fish and inverts. However the largest threat post death seems to be exposure to the corpse by other marine slugs. This may be in part due to infection along with the chemicals released.

I recommend corpses be removed immediately to avoid contamination even if running carbon.

OP
OP
The Wyld Zone

The Wyld Zone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my hands on a beautiful pink banded specimen.

Attachments

• 20210915_222319.jpg
    20210915_222319.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210915_222257.jpg
    20210915_222257.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210915_222229.jpg
    20210915_222229.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 50

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
with "sucking out the chloroplast", does this mean they could eradicate or essentially "starve" the algae they are consuming?

i bought 2 lettuce nudibranch's to deal with an on-going bryopsis issue in my 40B. although i have seen little change, there has been a decrease in algae. i am unsure how this manner of feeding can classify this invert to some as a potential fix to certain algae issues.

edit: apologies for the bump on a 2mo old thread, but this was a good and informative read. there is just little information out there to help answer my question.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one lay eggs in my tank. Eggs were removed to a cup and checked under microscope every other day Eggs remained in good shape and were developing but appeared to have crashed around day 11 which happens to be a night the room temp got into the upper 60s may or may not be related. Eggs were found on a piece of bryopsis.

I have seen small fresh spots of bryopsis they have fed on turn milky then vanish within 24 hours of them leaving. Seems to have little impact on larger patches. My guess is like an injured coral the rest of the algae mass pulls its weight while that branch recovers. Bryopsis has not spread since their additions (3 to a 20 gallon tank. (now down to two they are good at avoiding the powerheads but one just kept going into the overflow box.)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Bryopsis has not spread since their additions (3 to a 20 gallon tank. (now down to two they are good at avoiding the powerheads but one just kept going into the overflow box.)
so perhaps maybe getting more for my 40B? seems if i just have the two they will minimally deal with the bryopsis...

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so perhaps maybe getting more for my 40B? seems if i just have the two they will minimally deal with the bryopsis...
Not sure if they are keeping it in check or if I just have it naturally under control I do 1/2 gallon water changes every day on the 20 gallon and skim heavy (wet skim) But it is worth a shot. Make sure you know what species you have they look very similar (one has a notch by its head) I don't think adding two to four more would do any harm that is for sure.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back