The greatest fallacies!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I read through these other posts, most of these are not fallacies. They are absolutely true under some circumstances, and not such a big deal under others.

Can lacking nuance be a fallacy?
Hey, he said only 1 per person :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That small tanks are hard and can't be successful.

There are some aspects that may make small tanks appear to be harder to maintain, but if your husbandry is on point then I don't think it matters how small the tank is. Automation will be limited and things will need to done manually, but that's part of the fun. Doing things manually actually makes you more in-tune with your tank, therefore more successful.
There is definitely a sweet spot, especially for beginners. I have a 34 gallon red sea and I'm starting a 32 biocube. I feel like that's a really forgiving size. It's big enough to give it a little stability and have a decent amount of variety but small enough to keep costs and maint from spiraling out of control. I agree somewhat, but I find at this stage of my life, I need some level of monitoring and automation. I have an auto, answer the inkbird wifi temp controllers, and an auto doser for all and calcium. Life happens. Some weeks I only work a few days and some I work all the time. I need the tank to be able to run itself for a few days if I can't get to it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be willing to be that, by far, the post hoc ergo propter hoc is the most common fallacy in the hobby, followed by appeal to nature or over relying on anecdotes.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
School-Of-Thought---Fallacies-Poster.png

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're saying that alk instability doesn't cause problems and that a stable alk causes it?
Nono, problems cause alk instability. I.e. when your corals are not healthy they will stop taking up alk which is seen as an alk spike.
When the coral dies people will blame the spike and not the underlying cause

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nono, problems cause alk instability. I.e. when your corals are not healthy they will stop taking up alk which is seen as an alk spike.
I would agree that's likely one reason for alk spikes if you Dose Alk but in your original post you simply said "alk instability". What about if you stop dosing alk and it drops? Or what if your doser isnt operating properly and causing swings? Those are just two examples of alk instability that would likely lead to issues and aren't directly related to anything other than alk instability which would negatively affect SPS in particular even if they were perfectly healthy before the alk swings.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advice given based on what was read, heard or told, rather than what was experienced. ...or at least not differentiating between the two. Most of what I type is from actual experience, but when it is not, I try and point it out.
Advice based on what was read, heard or told often comes from somewhere. The very same way we are taught in school. People before us have experienced it and have obtained knowledge and bundled it. How would this be a fallacy?

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh, that's actually a very interesting take. I never thought about it like that.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who tell others not to do water changes. It's been my Hands On that a water change is vital to any glass cages health. Dilution is KING when it comes to water borne Toxins, like Ammonia, Nitrate, Phos etc. Best way to Dilute your tank is change some water in my experience and opinion both. So I do a weekly 20% water change on my 300g, and the only thing I dose is Phyto once a week. Here is an example of why I think I am doing things right.

March 23rd pic total length about 3 inches.
20230323_083749.jpg

May 21 pic 5x the size of 1st pic, maybe more.
20230521_162716.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advice based on what was read, heard or told often comes from somewhere. The very same way we are taught in school. People before us have experienced it and have obtained knowledge and bundled it. How would this be a fallacy?

If you want to tell me about stuff that you learned in school and remembered it all and got it right, then I am all ears. If you want to tell me about something that you heard from a guy on reef2reef with a 10 week old tank, then they probably got it wrong. The folks on the internet who type are not the same as those that made it through the publication process or survived an educational review.

In school, you have to list your sources too.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to tell me about stuff that you learned in school and remembered it all and got it right, then I am all ears. If you want to tell me about something that you heard from a guy on reef2reef with a 10 week old tank, then they probably got it wrong. The folks on the internet who type are not the same as those that made it through the publication process or survived an educational review.

I don't want to get involved in a debate particularly but I think he may have been referring to reading scientific research which would definitely carry weight if passes on accurately and in the correct context.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ha, this last sentence.
This is my pet.
Rambling off a bunch of stuff and not listing your source. I know we have a couple of people on here that do that but I'm not listing any names. This is my pet hate.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV sterilizer is the best method to prevent and eradicate Marine Ich AKA Cryptocaryon and many other parasites in Reef Aquarium.( Just after garlic, ginger and hydrogen peroxide).

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, this last sentence.
This is my pet.
Rambling off a bunch of stuff and not listing your source. I know we have a couple of people on here that do that but I'm not listing any names. This is my pet hate.
Or pasting paragraphs of info verbatim from another source and NOT giving credit!!
(Also not listing any name...)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back