The hardest thing about a reef tank ...

jayoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many of you have said patience is the hardest but I would add the discipline to resist adding too much while performing the necessary maintenance needed for great results. The building part is always fun and we always want more, once we get hooked. the real payoff is maintaining that over time and watching it grow into its potential but it is a bear to actually do it.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's always something to fiddle with even if not making big changes. Focus on little things that don't strain the wallet or cause problems.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest thing about a reef tank...

- for me right now is leaving it alone. The desire to add another fish or coral is strong, after all, this hobby is an addiction.

Someone talk me off of this ledge.
Just you wait ...
There will come a time when you start finding other things to spend your money on for your tank.
I dropped 10K on my 75g within the first few months.

Make yourself stick to a monthly/annual budget !!!!!
This hobby can be VERY spendy

OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This tank had plague level aiptasia 14 months ago. Burghia or a good Filefish will eliminate aiptasia. I added 8 Burghia in this tank and a FileFish in another tank. I love that Filefish. It cleaned up the tank and still exudes tons of personality. The Burghia took longer and mostly worked undetected. I will always keep a Filefish from now on. It’s one of my favorite fish.

OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just you wait ...
There will come a time when you start finding other things to spend your money on for your tank.
I dropped 10K on my 75g within the first few months.

Make yourself stick to a monthly/annual budget !!!!!
This hobby can be VERY spendy

Hide the credit cards.

I hear you. The regular stuff like salt and GFO are a constant, but that Tunze Stream 3 will produce more flow, among other accessories. And then those photoshopped frags look so delicious.

choco24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank had plague level aiptasia 14 months ago. Burghia or a good Filefish will eliminate aiptasia. I added 8 Burghia in this tank and a FileFish in another tank. I love that Filefish. It cleaned up the tank and still exudes tons of personality. The Burghia took longer and mostly worked undetected. I will always keep a Filefish from now on. It’s one of my favorite fish.
You should sell me your filefish pls. I can’t find me a good aptasia eating filefish around me.

OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should sell me your filefish pls. I can’t find me a good aptasia eating filefish around me.

I got him at PetCo when they sold ORA. It was $35. For fish like this it makes sense to buy tank raised.

Ask your LFS if they can place an ORA order and ask for the list of what else is available right now. ORA livestock is excellent.

OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spending tons of money! I've been in this only a year and can't believe how much money I've spent so far! :eek:

Right!

When I started my first reef tank in 2003 I tried to hold myself to a $500 budget. After all it was only a 29 gallon tank.

I had to come to terms with that pretty quick.

Six months later I bought a 90 gallon tank, halides, Tunze Stream, etc. and reconverted that 29 gallon tank into a sump.

There’s not much room in this hobby for a lean budget.

Zhewitt04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not rushing is the hardest. I love to mess with equipment and methods and you end of chasing your tail sometimes. Patients is very tough for me in life especially in stuff I love.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest thing about a reef tank...

- for me right now is leaving it alone. The desire to add another fish or coral is strong, after all, this hobby is an addiction.

Someone talk me off of this ledge.
Join the dark sidddddeeeee, give in to your desiresss, buy that new piece and allllll of your dreams and wishes will...oo hey look a new piece of shiny coral!

J/k as others have said, patience is a virtue

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have found the cure!

I write down what I bought and price in a notebook, that sits near the display, any time I add anything new to the tank. Livestock, consumables, equipment... everything counts. Once I see that number rise above a predetermined point, I am suddenly very happy with what I have. LOL!

Tank is looking very nice Mark!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back