OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got in a wonderful custom pump holder from Blue Tide Acrylics!

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted a short less obvious ATO reservoir that held a bit more water. Gave a rough list of requirements to Blue Tide Acrylics, and he absolutely exceeded my expectations.

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tomorrow, I'm going to finally be swapping out my Reefer sump for a custom one from Elite Aquatics. I got it about a month ago; however, I wanted to get my algae under control before switching to it. If you got tips for swapping sumps and plumbing, I'd love to hear them. My plan is to:
  1. Leak test new sump
  2. Shutdown the return pump, heater, and skimmer.
  3. Move Ehiem Heater to my display
  4. Move Apex probes to my display
  5. Remove ReefDreams baffle, Skimmer, Fuge light, Fuge Powerhead and return pump from the sump and into vinegar
  6. Remove existing hard plumbing seal up any old screw holes, remove dosing
  7. Drain all the water I can from the sump
  8. Remove the old sump
  9. Place new sump under tank
  10. Reinstall main and emergency drains
  11. Measure and replace return pump piping (I'm simplifying it a ton.)
  12. If existing return fits (it's close), put it in place while curing new plumbing. If not cure new plumbing for 2 hours. (run for 24 hours at 25%)
  13. Reinstall Return Pump
  14. Install new Finnex heaters in sump
  15. Reinstall Dosing Lines
  16. Install new Kessil H380 Fuge Light
  17. Reinstall Fuge Pump
  18. Install OctoAquatics Skimmer Mount in
  19. Reinstall Skimmer
  20. Fill sump
  21. Move over chaeto
  22. Reinstall Apex probes in sump
  23. Setup New Heaters in Apex
  24. Remove Ehiem Heater
At least 24 hours later, Up the return pump until we get 1100gph.

Here are some pics after unboxing it.
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG

Last edited:

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a fun day! Haha I’ve installed and ran freshly cemented pvc in 20-30 minutes.

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a fun day! Haha I’ve installed and ran freshly cemented pvc in 20-30 minutes.
You're welcome to come join in! I wouldn't want ya to miss out on the event! I got coffee, scotch, wine, and we can order all the foods we want! ;Woot We could get @pelphrey and notpelphrey in one Youtube video :p

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a fun video, after that sump is setup! Hahaha Unfortunately Kentucky plays at 11am tomorrow!

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a fun video, after that sump is setup! Hahaha Unfortunately Kentucky plays at 11am tomorrow!
haha, no worries I was just joshing ya. Hope you're having a great Thanksgiving.

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp, it's finally done. I'm pretty happy with the outcome!

Here is the before:
IMG_0009.JPG

Here is the after:
IMG_0012.JPG

Here is a pic before all the gear was put in:
IMG_0010.JPG

We also took a break for taco's while making all the water:
IMG_0011.JPG

I'm very happy with the flow in the sump now. I feel like it's a big improvement. I'll share more tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got tired of my new Finnex heaters suction cups not sticking to my sump and falling near the skimmer, and no joke OctoAquatics had a new product that launched just as I was getting annoyed with it, so I snapped up one of the dual heater holders and a dosing tube holder. I made a view to show a better view of it.

SoonerBerrios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build thread! We have the same name, tank, skimmer, but my eshopps fuge light is still working. Couple of questions for you, how are you liking the Kessil H38? I'm thinking of upgrading my fuge light. I currently have to AI Prime HD's mounted and looking at new lighting configuration. I'm interested in the AP700. I'm looking at mixed reef, do you think 1 AP700 would be enough? I know I read you switched to two since your tank is SPS dominant. Excited to continue seeing the progress!

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed your 1" flow sensor is right after a 90' elbow. The documentation states this could effect the flow readings due to the turbulence from the 90'. Have you seen any issues? I want to add a 1" right at my return but I don't have a long straight section to plumb it into so I would have to do it like yours

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed your 1" flow sensor is right after a 90' elbow. The documentation states this could effect the flow readings due to the turbulence from the 90'. Have you seen any issues? I want to add a 1" right at my return but I don't have a long straight section to plumb it into so I would have to do it like yours
I'm sure it's not perfect, but I use it as a guide, not as gospel. However, when I did the bucket test, it did seem to reasonably match the sensor value.

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build thread! We have the same name, tank, skimmer, but my eshopps fuge light is still working. Couple of questions for you, how are you liking the Kessil H38? I'm thinking of upgrading my fuge light. I currently have to AI Prime HD's mounted and looking at new lighting configuration. I'm interested in the AP700. I'm looking at mixed reef, do you think 1 AP700 would be enough? I know I read you switched to two since your tank is SPS dominant. Excited to continue seeing the progress!
So my fuge took off after moving from the H80 to the H380! It grows a 5 gallon bucket's worth every other week now. I love my AP 700s. Powerful, simple to use. The app isn't as fancy as the AIs, but it's easier to pick the right settings with Kessil logic. I think 1 would be okay on a mixed reef depending on your rock work. That's another reason why I got two.

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your skimmer ? I am planning to switch from BM Curve 7 to NYOS Quantum 160 ... Thanks

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your skimmer ? I am planning to switch from BM Curve 7 to NYOS Quantum 160 ... Thanks
I like it so much that when I setup my Reefer 250 in the bedroom, I got the Nyos 120 for that tank. I find it to be skim consistently (not a lot of fiddling with the dials), easy to clean, and so far rock solid.

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it so much that when I setup my Reefer 250 in the bedroom, I got the Nyos 120 for that tank. I find it to be skim consistently (not a lot of fiddling with the dials), easy to clean, and so far rock solid.
Thanks

mrhankuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jason, Mark from the Red Sea Facebook page. Any updates? Pictures? Your build gave me a lot of great ideas!

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jason, Mark from the Red Sea Facebook page. Any updates? Pictures? Your build gave me a lot of great ideas!
I'll do a new video tonight, sorry been swamped with the other tanks and a bit of cyano in this one.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back