The impossible question to answer

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I overdosed bottled bacteria in my new tank with my black molly and I saw ORP plummet below 180 and then the fish climb to the top of the water column gasping for air due to lack of oxygen, that solidified it for me to keep the ORP sensor running.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting Statement. Care to share the science and facts to go with that statement?
The value itself is meaningless - if properly maintained, the TREND can tell you if there is a problem. That said - you have to keep them scrupulously clean - if algae grows on them (even a little) - can increase ORP. Overall - many people seem to think that they are so variable - with no relationship to anything happening in the tank - that its ok to ignore/unplug it

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I overdosed bottled bacteria in my new tank with my black molly and I saw ORP plummet below 180 and then the fish climb to the top of the water column gasping for air due to lack of oxygen, that solidified it for me to keep the ORP sensor running.
Wow
You can’t overdose bottled bacteria.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow
You can’t overdose bottled bacteria.

Depends on your definition of overdose. To me, if I add an amount of something that negatively effects the health of the inhabitants, that is an overdose. Bacteria consuming oxygen and depleting it from availability to my fish forcing the fish to rise to the surface gasping for air, I would consider to be an overdose.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on your definition of overdose. To me, if I add an amount of something that negatively effects the health of the inhabitants, that is an overdose. Bacteria consuming oxygen and depleting it from availability to my fish forcing the fish to rise to the surface gasping for air, I would consider to be an overdose.
Unless there wasn't adequate water flow in your tank. There should be no problem with bottled bacteria - UNLESS you see a bloom (i.e. cloudy water). Otherwise, IMHO, it was a coincidence.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there wasn't adequate water flow in your tank. There should be no problem with bottled bacteria - UNLESS you see a bloom (i.e. cloudy water). Otherwise, IMHO, it was a coincidence.

Tank was up for less than 24 hours, I just had the return pump on. Dumped 4oz of Fritz TurboStart 900 in a 45 gallon cube. Dumped bottle in... ORP plummeted below 180 (from around 220's)... saltwater acclimated black molly fish swam to top gasping for air. I witnessed it all happen within a couple minutes. Coincidence? I don't think so. I immediately turned my skimmer on and ORP started to climb back up, once it went over about 200 the molly stopped gasping at surface.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm certainly not suggesting you should not use an ORP probe, but it didn't plummet due to lack of O2. O2 may have coincidentally dropped, however.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was up for less than 24 hours, I just had the return pump on. Dumped 4oz of Fritz TurboStart 900 in a 45 gallon cube. Dumped bottle in... ORP plummeted below 180 (from around 220's)... saltwater acclimated black molly fish swam to top gasping for air. I witnessed it all happen within a couple minutes. Coincidence? I don't think so. I immediately turned my skimmer on and ORP started to climb back up, once it went over about 200 the molly stopped gasping at surface.

Not coincidence, just not a correct interpretation of the cause and effects.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back