The Journey - Reboot of the 120

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a wifi extender for your wired uplink? Maybe thats losing its link to your main router? I'm thinking out loud really.... Mine kicks out occasionally and I have to Redo everything but thats once or twice a year.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thought. If your not already maybe try setting a static IP address for the Apex instead of it using DHCP. That way it'll use the same IP every time there's a blip. What I found with mine is if it restarts and gets a new IP from DHCP then it'll never reconnect to Fusion.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thought. If your not already maybe try setting a static IP address for the Apex instead of it using DHCP. That way it'll use the same IP every time there's a blip. What I found with mine is if it restarts and gets a new IP from DHCP then it'll never reconnect to Fusion.

No idea. I know more about saltwater keeping than I do about computer stuff and that's not a lot.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be looking at the network connection if i were you. From what ive gathered above your not using a static IP address and I think getting that sqaured away might just do it.

Try starting a seperate thread in the Apex forum here. Lots of them should be able to walk you through it. There may even be a thread about it already.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/aquarium-controllers.393/

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know enough to even know where to begin.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it appears the fusion is causing the apex to disconnect. When I link to it, BA BAM..8-10 hours later disconnect.

Which is why there's the handy dandy powerstrip with everything plugged in. Cycle going well. Ammonia down to 0.5, nitrite in the > 2ppm range. Waiting for nitrite to fall before adding in more ammonia.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so many more...

ca965c7975d6dfdccf0a92be532a5c6f.jpg

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far 16 hours and no disconnects. Did an init profiles.

Ammonia at 0.25 and nitrite still very high. Slow process for sure

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up my profiles. So far still connected after about 36 or so hours. Been the longest stretch since I updated firmware

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is at 0.

9fdbf719fff89f20e1007aab5f4d4077.jpg

Nitrite is at least 2ppm

fa7c0bb5029cc8916674f1401019aeb1.jpg

Do I wait for nitrite to drop before dosing ammonia another time?

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big day. 50+ hours without a disconnect. Added components back to the apex. Crossing fingers.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of my very basic, but effective sump.

Skimmer and drain into return with some rubble, marinepure heaters and my return. Plan is to put some pods or something in that section and shut the pump off for a few hours to let them bury into the rocks.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, ammonia still at 0, Nitrite a pinkish purple still. No rush.

Pretty sure I'm picking up a 6x80W ATI fixture in the next couple weeks. Need to hang it, which means setting up 2x6 over the tank across the floor joists, and then putting a hole in the drop ceiling tile. Bulb combination is planned at this particular moment:

Back to front:
Blue Plus
Actinic
Coral Plus
Actinic
Blue Plus
Purple Plus

I should have a nice 16-20k spectrum with some awesome coral pop. I don't really like an overly white tank, and reading the graphs of the lights, this appears to fit what I'm looking for.

For example, i'm running a blue plus, purple plus and coral plus in my 24" fixture over my QT/Frag tank and it's about as white as I can take it.

Did speak with Apex about the issues, let them look around, and all appears well. The system is still up and running, and I'm getting closer to saying it's fixed. Just waiting for the cycle to complete, and then we'll add the clowns back to the tank. I have my fish stocking set up and is as follows:

2 Ocellaris Clowns (already have)
Midas Blenny
5-7 Threadfin Cardinals
3 Flasher wrasse (thinking McCoskers, Linespot and Filamented)
3 Fairy Wrasse (maybe...from the Cirrabulus family or something like that)
Yellow Tang
Tomini Tang

I figure with 90% of the fish being small, almost no bioload, should be ok with what I have for filtration.

After I get the light, we'll get some zoanthid frags, and put them on the bottom and start the garden. Once things stabilize over the course of 3-4 weeks of consistent tests, will pick up a fuzzy sps frag (this is probably going to be around Christmas, as I would like to have the tank fully stocked with fish by the time I start putting sps in). I may get some GSP and put on the back wall, have not decided at this point.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia holding at 0. Nitrite still at 5-ish.

While waiting, will work on dialing in my Photon 48 to where I can grow zoanthids on the bottom (80-140 PAR) and SPS on the rocks (250-350 PAR). You would think this wouldn't be that difficult, but alas it's not very easy.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photon 48 dialed in at 60 blue, 35 white. Gives me about 120 along the bottom and 260-280 in and around the highest rock points in my scape.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No change tonight. 0 ammonia, 5+ nitrite.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was faint last night, but Nitrites are starting to fall...or it could have been the fact I spent the last 2 days in the sun and heat coaching baseball that sent an illusion to my eyes.

No more baseball, kids took 2nd in the state. a month to relax and recharge before football kicks in...and a month to really do work on the tank if I need to. I have lots of things in my mind to do, just not sure whether any of them are worth doing (ie: changing my plumbing from 1.5" to 1", moving to a larger sump to incorporate filter socks, etc). Just think there's so much I can do, but at the same time, my setup is extremely simple, and doesn't really require a ton of work.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will nitrites ever fall? I'm starting to wonder! almost 2 weeks of 5ppm. Very bright purple on API.

Patience...Patience.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back