The little things that get to you

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously we all have the little pet peeves that get to us, for me the number one trivial issue comes down to a naming issue. Petty by most people's standards but I hate it when folks from Europe call such a cool fish as the Leopard Wrasse, a "Peacock Wrasse". Am I the only one who finds the name to be silly and ridiculous?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, in the hobby today most new common names are generated solely for marketing purposes.
So we see a profusion of names like peacock, rainbow, ultimate, ultra, master, toxic, etc, that add nothing important, create confusion, and are often just as quickly forgotten. Anything to get people's attention.
A big one for corals right now is gold/golden. Claim it's a gold this or that, and double the price.
I myself prefer scientific names, the only way one can (hopefully) know exactly what they're getting.
I don't need any common names. Give me the scientific name and a high quality image that hasn't been doctored.
Or just let me see it in person. :)

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, in the hobby today most new common names are generated solely for marketing purposes.
So we see a profusion of names like peacock, rainbow, ultimate, ultra, master, toxic, etc, that add nothing important, create confusion, and are often just as quickly forgotten. Anything to get people's attention.
A big one for corals right now is gold/golden. Claim it's a gold this or that, and double the price.
I myself prefer scientific names, the only way one can (hopefully) know exactly what they're getting.
I don't need any common names. Give me the scientific name and a high quality image that hasn't been doctored.

Speaking of gold...
2.JPG

Capture.jpg

OP
OP
Jesterrace

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree, I think we should get rid of all common names and just go with the latin name, saves a lot of confusion, I would even be cool with them shortening the first latin name to the initial. For example: Halichoeres Melanurus would be listed simply as H.Melanurus or my Blue Star Leopard Wrasse simply listed as M.Bipartitus.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the difference between leopard or peacock wrasse as they are both useless descriptions scientifically. We use different names in Europe but that often means we don't have a clue what our friends in the States are describing, esepically sInce you guys strated the pointless coral naming game. It's also very hard to figure out what a tank size is as 20 longs or 40 breeders etc aren't sold here.

If I'm being really petty I hate it when people say latin name as whilst a lot of these are derived from latin they are also a mix of other languages, so scientific name is a better term.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back