OP
Scotty8284

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure! Let me get a set together.
Here are some pics and a video to give you a sense of how quiet it runs.
736C65D2-F419-43E5-8799-E4C37E5AE734.jpeg
72808639-B640-4000-8FA8-9E11ECE2EAF5.jpeg
5C17CD30-00CB-4F55-9ED5-C5F999BD1DEE.jpeg
B1E1EDEF-B039-4A38-8209-6925641F4737.jpeg
18D43806-9ADA-41D6-8F34-364D088F6463.jpeg

MR BACKHAND

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics and a video to give you a sense of how quiet it runs.
736C65D2-F419-43E5-8799-E4C37E5AE734.jpeg
72808639-B640-4000-8FA8-9E11ECE2EAF5.jpeg
5C17CD30-00CB-4F55-9ED5-C5F999BD1DEE.jpeg
B1E1EDEF-B039-4A38-8209-6925641F4737.jpeg
18D43806-9ADA-41D6-8F34-364D088F6463.jpeg

Hi can you post some pictures of the whole tank with all of the front doors open please. My finger is on the trigger to buy the same tank.

OP
OP
Scotty8284

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi can you post some pictures of the whole tank with all of the front doors open please. My finger is on the trigger to buy the same tank.
Sure thing. Just did a water change so take that into consideration.

Attachments

• 7C021B75-DA1B-4E01-9712-0CC059AD373D.jpeg
    7C021B75-DA1B-4E01-9712-0CC059AD373D.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 70
  • BA25B204-ECE8-40CB-B274-68EE1BBD7EE8.jpeg
    BA25B204-ECE8-40CB-B274-68EE1BBD7EE8.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 7F5C89CD-495B-4850-998D-12C94E36C21F.jpeg
    7F5C89CD-495B-4850-998D-12C94E36C21F.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 71
  • D9D693AD-0D7B-411D-84AA-DD5557C9B67B.jpeg
    D9D693AD-0D7B-411D-84AA-DD5557C9B67B.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 8BE37A35-D667-4E50-A18E-213B1A087F70.jpeg
    8BE37A35-D667-4E50-A18E-213B1A087F70.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 86
  • B6E98ECA-3C91-416E-9B37-D362EA3484E1.jpeg
    B6E98ECA-3C91-416E-9B37-D362EA3484E1.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 91

MR BACKHAND

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good :) how do you like the internal weir drain? Any complaints? If you could do it over again would you still buy the innovative marine brand tank? Sorry for all of the questions. I do appreciate your help and the time you took to post the pictures .
Sure thing. Just did a water change so take that into consideration.

OP
OP
Scotty8284

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good :) how do you like the internal weir drain? Any complaints? If you could do it over again would you still buy the innovative marine brand tank? Sorry for all of the questions. I do appreciate your help and the time you took to post the pictures .
First, I really like the @Innovative Marine brand! Based on my experience with this tank, I can enthusiastically recommend their products to everyone. When the time comes for my grandson’s to start in the hobby, this is where I will go to get their first tank

Second, because the internal weir is across the full width of the tank, I feel it does a great job of drawing a vast amount of floating detritus into the drain system. And the drain system was easy to install based on the included directions. It also allows for a more polished exterior of the tank. That is the reason my wife prefers the INT over the EXT (since our tank is near the entrance to our condo, and is viewed from multiple angles). However, keep in mind the internal weir does take a bit away from the display area. And with my AI HYDRA mounting arms, I can’t position the lights wherever I want. If the adjusting screws on your mounting arms face inward, you may be limited to mounting them where the drain system is widest.

Third, I really like the height of the display. A bit taller than a shallow reef, but not as deep as your typical 24” DT. Keep this in mind when planning your aquascape. I would have done mine a little different, now that I have 6 months under my belt. Mine is fashioned more for a typical depth. But this is something a more seasoned reefer might know from the start. Plan accordingly.

Fourth, it’s a great stand! I feel more secure having metal rather than wood. But plan your sump accordingly. I received much advice to get as big a sump as I could, and as much as I really like the Eshopps AF-300, it doesn’t leave much room under the stand. My other consideration was the Bashsea 30x18x16. A bit wider than typical, but the length would have left more room. If I had the space for a second tank, I would probably select the Bashsea. Both are good options, but weigh your selections.

if you would like more information, just ask. Or if you want to bounce some ideas or concerns off someone, I can help there as well.

OP
OP
Scotty8284

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding fish has been a bit of a challenge. Thriving (for now): Tomini Tang, Lamark Angel, Fiji Foxface, pair of clowns and a pair of red dragonettes.

HOWEVER, I've had some failures that really bummed me out. My tank has a screen lid, but still, a number of small ones jumped through the mesh! A Firefish, Diamond Goby & Midas Blenny either wound up on the carpet, or on the screen lid itself. My Flasher Wrasse jumped out while I was doing a water change. I found him and put him back, but he struggled for 5 days before expiring. Recently, 2 Lyretail Anthias did not survive. One died the first night, the other about 10 days later. I don't know what happened to the second one, he looked really good up until the day before he died. I also added a young Sailfin Tang. He was timid, but I thought he'd get by. Until I found him sucked up against the guard of my MP40! I think I'll hold off on adding fish for a while. The $400 worth that I lost stinks, but I really can't stand that I didn't have a safe enough environment for them. I'm going to do some more research before risking any more.

OP
OP
Scotty8284

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the long absence, but here’s a quick update. Going back to May, a velvet outbreak wiped out ALL my fish. Last one died on June 5th. I trace it back to the anthias. It was my fault. I bought them from a new shipment at the LFS. They treat their fish with copper, but this shipment never went through a full treatment. Hopefully, lesson learned. Only buy quarantined fish, or fish that are in a treated tank for 60 days or longer!!

Tank went fallow for 100 days, with the last 30 days raising the temperature to 84 degrees. Started my restock with 2 oscellaris clowns and 2 bangaii cardinals from treated tanks at LFS. They were long time residents at the LFS, and transitioned wonderfully to my tank. 30 days later I placed an order from Divers Den for a trio of zebra dartfish and a bonded pair of Sleeper Blue Dot Gobies. They all took immediately to their new home, and have been excellent residents. The Sleeper Blue Dot’s are great sand cleaners, and stay close to the bottom, so they don’t broadcast sand all over the tank. They’re full of personality, and provide hours of entertainment.

I next placed an order at TSM Aquatics. I spoke with Matt (RIP) and told him what I was looking for. He said he would get on it and call me when he was able to find them. About a week later he secured a male and female Bellus Angel, and began the quarantine process. In anticipation of that shipment, I also ordered a melanarus wrasse, tail spot blenny and YWG from them. After the quarantine period was over, I called regarding shipment, but Matt said he wanted to keep the Bellus a little longer and get them a bigger before shipping. I appreciated his commitment to shipping healthy fish, and was more than willing to wait. Tragically, Matt passed in November, and TSM had to delay getting their shipments out on the schedule they had anticipated. No problem or pressure from me. I fully understood their situation. My shipment did come the second week of December, and was impressed with the health and quality of the fish. All except the YWG took to their new home immediately, and were eating on the first day. The YWG was really small, and obviously a little intimidated. He buried himself in the sand upon being released, and only appeared periodically. I haven’t seen him for awhile, but still haven’t given up on him. I’ve had things disappear before, only to mysteriously reappear.

I added what I anticipate to be my last fish, for a while, about 10 days later. A White-Tailed Bristletooth Tang. Everyone is getting along fine, eating well and provide lots of movement and interest in all areas and levels of the tank.

I gave much more thought to this livestock reboot, built on the lessons learned, and am really pleased how things are working out. So far!!

Aurican17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Are you still enjoying the Eshopps Alpha-300? I'm seriously on the verge of buying one for my upcoming 150 gallon build, but there just is not much in the way of useful reviews. One review suggested *most* of the water bypassed the socks and went nearly straight to the return section, with very little going into the sump. Now that yours is well-established, what do you think? I love the separate flow paths idea, but only if it works!

OP
OP
Scotty8284

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Are you still enjoying the Eshopps Alpha-300? I'm seriously on the verge of buying one for my upcoming 150 gallon build, but there just is not much in the way of useful reviews. One review suggested *most* of the water bypassed the socks and went nearly straight to the return section, with very little going into the sump. Now that yours is well-established, what do you think? I love the separate flow paths idea, but only if it works!
Thanks for reaching out. In my case, most of the water goes through the filter sock and into the skimmer section. Now, I change my sock every 3-4 days. If I forget and it goes longer, the more the sock clogs up with debris, the more water will be diverted into the other paths (media, or skimmer section overflow). I feel the Refugium section is pretty constant regardless of the sock condition. I bought a 10 pack of socks, so to be able to go almost a month without having to wash them is nice. I have wondered if the Klir filter roller would work in the sock section.

The float switch for ATO Is great. HOWEVER, you really need to have your source above it to keep it gravity fed. As my situation changed around the tank, I had to go to an ATO pump. I miss using the float switch. Here’s another suggestion: use flexible hose from the return pump. My rigid pipes which fixed the location of the return pump made it a bit awkward when I had to add a mini pump to run GFO.

I’ve used the Refugium for different purposes at different times. I’ve never had enough nutrients to keep the ‘Fuge running successfully. But I did use it to hold a magnetic frag rack that worked really well. Also as a time out for misbehaving livestock and inverts until I could relocate them. And I also kept rock in it that I used to start a new Nano tank.

Now, think about your heaters. The skimmer section has limited length, so be sure they’ll fit. I have 2 300 watt heaters that just fit, with enough room for the skimmer. Map out what you plan for the skimmer section to avoid any surprises.

I’ll post more as I think about it.

OP
OP
Scotty8284

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In te
Hi there! Are you still enjoying the Eshopps Alpha-300? I'm seriously on the verge of buying one for my upcoming 150 gallon build, but there just is not much in the way of useful reviews. One review suggested *most* of the water bypassed the socks and went nearly straight to the return section, with very little going into the sump. Now that yours is well-established, what do you think? I love the separate flow paths idea, but only if it wor

As I reflected on your post, let me say I just don’t see how most of the water could go to the return section and bypass the sump. The size and positioning of the slots just wouldn’t allow it. If the sock were clogged, their is an overflow slot in the sock section that would direct water to the skimmer section. The flow to the media and the Refugium should be mostly constant.

The AF-300 is my first sump, and it definitely is more unusual than what you typically see. But it is an amazing design that functions very well. If your placement allows access to 3 of the four sides, you’ll appreciate how the drain pipes going to the center section of the sump allows greater access to the different areas.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back