The macro garden; my macroalgae/gorgonian tank (formerly the NPS garden)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I have 6 mature heads about a quarter in diameter, and then about 7 dime-size babies sprouting from the base. To give an idea, that frag plug block is 4" across.

I'm picking up some gorgonians (red with white polyps) next week. They are already about 12" tall and branched out.

I set my tank lighting up to leave a shadowed area in the center with the heavy lighting to each side over where the bulk of my rock scape is stacked so I could have nps in the middle alone. A d sps and LPS flanking them.

Best of luck with ur build. Keep us updated! @Jomama is the nps king here, he will be happy to assist u in the journey I'm sure!

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased an air powered protein skimmer :) it is rated for a 70 gallon tank, so it should be ample both for reducing nutrients and removing the bacteria my vinegar dosing is going to generate. It will only be on during the day so it does not remove the live phyto I will be feeding my tank at night.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased an air powered protein skimmer :) it is rated for a 70 gallon tank, so it should be ample both for reducing nutrients and removing the bacteria my vinegar dosing is going to generate. It will only be on during the day so it does not remove the live phyto I will be feeding my tank at night.
If you can, locate air pump outside of home. You'll be glad

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...AND I think the Isochrysis died...it turned light green. Likely going to simply buy phyto at this point.

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again everyone! Little Dude (the royal gramma) and Notre Dam (the new Talbot's damsel) are both doing well. Little Dude seems to be a bit territorial and chases Notre Dam on occasion, but that behavior seems to have lessened over the past few days. Here is a picture of the two fish...can you see Notre Dam?

FDBFD91D-7C8A-4661-AEB9-693D22EA79B7.jpeg

In other news the tank, as you may have noticed from the picture, has a bit of a hair algae problem going on...doubtless this is due to all the food that is going into the tank. Will try to clean it off over the next few days. The refugium plumbing is coming in the mail this week, so it won't be too much longer until I have a functioning refugium to help with nutrients as well :)

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone...I think I am going to change my plans for this tank. My HOB overflow broke, the tank is algae infested, I made a terrible mess trying to put the overflow on (no that's not what broke it...my sister dropped it and the washer broke). Without a refugium stuffed with macro and micro-algae, there is no chance of me being able to keep up with all the nutrients an NPS tank would create. Will be keeping the feather duster and the sun coral (and the fish of course), but will need some time to decide this tank's fate...

EDIT: I have changed my mind...both the refugium AND the tank will be set up, and this will still be an NPS tank. I was just in an upset rant.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! In spite of the overflow box no longer being attached to the overflow itself, I was able to set it up last night :) I simply am using the rockwork to support the overflow box for the moment until I can get a new screw to attach. The flow is slower than expected (I am using what is in theory a 350 GPH pump, but I doubt it's that fast) but the setup is otherwise fully functional.

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium plans thwarted...this morning the return pump's pvc tubing fell apart for no apparent reason and started spewing water all over the floor. We don't know why, but my mother and I agree on one thing...no more refugium. The 'fuge will be turned into a separate tank in its own right.

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep...this is what happens when (A) your mind can go a mile a minute, and (B) you have a mother very concerned about the possibility of mold, getting evicted from the apartment, etc

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most people do not use check valves, but yes you would want to glue everything from what I know. The only thing i do not glue is the connection to the pump itself, as that is under water and i want to be able to remove it.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I was supposed to glue the PVC pipe to the check valve?
Yes. All PVC should be dry fit to check everything and then later each piece should be glued. No primer.

Lol, your mom and my Better Half agree.

"Let's keep the water off the floor please."

Once properly set up, most tanks with sumps run for many years without any problems at all.

But the repercussions from a single "Oops" can be really bad. So....

Our tank is entirely within the tank with lots of live rock and HOB filters.
Arcos are not in my future.

Constant testing and a small fish load would make acros possible, but that is the exact opposite of what I want from the tank.

Movement, from lots of fish and soft corals, reminds me of when I was fortunate enough to be stationed in Hawaii with the Coast Guard years ago.
Scuba diving in beautiful tropical waters should definitely be on your future list of "must do".
[emoji4]

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do not use primer? i have never heard that before. For some overflows, yes, but all PVC should be primer and glue
Got that info off the internet.
[emoji6]

Supposed to be something in the primer chemicals that are not great for the fish.

I normally like a purple collar on all my PVC joints.
[emoji6]

Anyway, figured it couldn't hurt to skip it considering how much I like to overuse otherwise.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 99 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back