OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Update.

The Good
New additions have been in the DT for 5 days now and are doing great. The melanarus is like a puppy, follows you around everywhere...he also wakes up and hour after everyone and is the first one to bed down. The tang is still a tiny bit skittish but he's getting better. Tank has REALLY come alive since the additions. Even the clowns finally got out of the corner of the tank they spent 90 percent of their time and are now free swimming with everyone.

In the QT flame hawkfish that hasn't eaten the entire time in QT (that we could see) finally started going after food, 5 weeks later.

The Bad

Saw firefish flash in QT, but after checking parameters got a bit of ammonia registering, pull everyone and did a methylene blue bath and 70 percent WC. Knock on wood he's been good so far.

The Ugly

20200410_074723.jpg

Water is still cloudy, rocks are better after being cleaned off last week and I think the tang is doing work. Glass needs to be cleaned daily, honestly it needs it after about 8-12 hrs. PO4 and NO3 still get taken up to undetectable levels daily and have to be dosed.

I have a jebao Uv coming this weekend, will see if it does anything for this.

This is starting to getting a little annoying... More hurry up and wait coming.

Last edited:
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Update from the QT as it's waking up.

20200412_085458.jpg

20200412_085417.jpg

20200412_085323.jpg

Definitely going to have to do more cleanup on the hammer before it goes into the DT. The colony came with a good bit of vermitid snails. I broke off and sealed all I could find but it seems I missed a few. Gonna need a round 2. Beautiful thing about QT, I got all the time in the world.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat, wife locked me up until that passes and our baby is born. haha Though I have a strong suspicion her lock-down of me will linger a bit longer.
That UV acted fast!

OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat, wife locked me up until that passes and our baby is born. haha Though I have a strong suspicion her lock-down of me will linger a bit longer.
That UV acted fast!
Yeah I was expending things to clear up in a week or so, but two days later... Water is near crystal clear and my glass isn't getting caked up with brown dust in 12 hours.

Skimmer has been sucking up some real smelly dark green muck, not sure if it's related, but good lord does it stinks. If I leave the cabinet door open, wife complains about the smell. Hopefully it's temporary.

thaistalyn

View Badges
Reaction score
At this point I'm debating whether to get another hawkfish or look at something else.

Need that centerpiece fish... Not a lot of wow options for a 120 gallon.
I really like anything from the Xanthichtys genus of triggerfish as a nice centerpiece (show piece). Mine never bothered inverts nor corals and took to pellets very well. Year's ago I had a Blue Throat in my 90g and I plan to get either one of those Blue's or a Crosshatch in my current 80g. I love their personality and the way they swim.

Blue Throat Triggerfish
1586871929974.png

OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I really like anything from the Xanthichtys genus of triggerfish as a nice centerpiece (show piece). Mine never bothered inverts nor corals and took to pellets very well. Year's ago I had a Blue Throat in my 90g and I plan to get either one of those Blue's or a Crosshatch in my current 80g. I love their personality and the way they swim.

Blue Throat Triggerfish
1586871929974.png
I like the look of the male triggers, unfortunately I don't think my tank, inhabitants and aqua scape is very BTT friendly. Love their colors though.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So update on the chemistry of the tank... ;Bookworm;Dead

Over the last month and half I've had to dose PO4 and NO3 (more so PO4) and I had uglies everywhere. Some said dryrock was taking up PO4, OK definitely possible. Some said it's being taken up by the uglies, also, definitely possible.

As of yesterday, 3 weeks after I dosed vibrant (2 doses so far) and 5 days since I added UV, I have not had to dose PO4 or NO3. So my thought is it was definitely the uglies that were source of the uptake.

I measured PO4 72 hours ago and it was 0.08. Measured this morning, 0.08. NO3 holding at approx 5ppm on the Red Sea.

Now, I need to keep an eye to make sure they don't climb... Especially with the massive craps the tang has been taking. :oops:

How often do you clean your filter socks?

• Every few days

Votes: 173 26.3%
  • Every weekend

Votes: 111 16.9%
  • Every other week

Votes: 55 8.4%
  • Every month

Votes: 25 3.8%
  • When they look dirty

Votes: 55 8.4%
  • I don't ever clean them

Votes: 8 1.2%