AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

Screenshot_20200403-071901_FedEx.jpg

Getting a holdover tank setup and ramp SG up to DT levels over next couple days. Little guys are coming in at 1.019-1.020.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well... Guess it was going to happen at some point. RIP hawkfish.

Little guy jumped the tank, the only place I can see is the 1x4in slit for the HOB.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar boat, wife locked me up until that passes and our baby is born. haha Though I have a strong suspicion her lock-down of me will linger a bit longer.
That UV acted fast!

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm in a similar boat, wife locked me up until that passes and our baby is born. haha Though I have a strong suspicion her lock-down of me will linger a bit longer.
That UV acted fast!

Yeah I was expending things to clear up in a week or so, but two days later... Water is near crystal clear and my glass isn't getting caked up with brown dust in 12 hours.

Skimmer has been sucking up some real smelly dark green muck, not sure if it's related, but good lord does it stinks. If I leave the cabinet door open, wife complains about the smell. Hopefully it's temporary.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At this point I'm debating whether to get another hawkfish or look at something else.

Need that centerpiece fish... Not a lot of wow options for a 120 gallon.

thaistalyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I'm debating whether to get another hawkfish or look at something else.

Need that centerpiece fish... Not a lot of wow options for a 120 gallon.

I really like anything from the Xanthichtys genus of triggerfish as a nice centerpiece (show piece). Mine never bothered inverts nor corals and took to pellets very well. Year's ago I had a Blue Throat in my 90g and I plan to get either one of those Blue's or a Crosshatch in my current 80g. I love their personality and the way they swim.

Blue Throat Triggerfish
1586871929974.png

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like anything from the Xanthichtys genus of triggerfish as a nice centerpiece (show piece). Mine never bothered inverts nor corals and took to pellets very well. Year's ago I had a Blue Throat in my 90g and I plan to get either one of those Blue's or a Crosshatch in my current 80g. I love their personality and the way they swim.

Blue Throat Triggerfish
1586871929974.png

I like the look of the male triggers, unfortunately I don't think my tank, inhabitants and aqua scape is very BTT friendly. Love their colors though.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So update on the chemistry of the tank... ;Bookworm;Dead

Over the last month and half I've had to dose PO4 and NO3 (more so PO4) and I had uglies everywhere. Some said dryrock was taking up PO4, OK definitely possible. Some said it's being taken up by the uglies, also, definitely possible.

As of yesterday, 3 weeks after I dosed vibrant (2 doses so far) and 5 days since I added UV, I have not had to dose PO4 or NO3. So my thought is it was definitely the uglies that were source of the uptake.

I measured PO4 72 hours ago and it was 0.08. Measured this morning, 0.08. NO3 holding at approx 5ppm on the Red Sea.

Now, I need to keep an eye to make sure they don't climb... Especially with the massive craps the tang has been taking. :oops:

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, it seems nutrients are starting to swing the other way now. NO3 holding at 5ppm,PO4 is up to 0.12 from 0.08....time for a water change.

Strating to see tiny patches of what look alike GHA on and near zoa frag plugs.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back