The Mandalorian on Disney+

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont get the whole Darth Vader is cooler than skywalker. Teaching kids evil is Cool?...Video Games ;Sour
Here's a spin on it. Vader was a good guy in the beginning. He was drawn into evil by someone he trusted. Today, in real life, we have a whole generation of kids and young adults that are "excused" as a product of their raising. A lack of parenting. Is this Disney's way of mirroring society today? Just something to think about.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that actually Boba Fett? I mean sure it looks like him, but then he walked into the building and there were "fetts" all over the place, I don't know enough about SW lore to know if the Mandalorians were a group of people (i.e. all the helmet wearing guys/girls) or if it's specifically one person. But yeah making him into an "anti-hero" definitely seems way too campy if they're going that route.

When is the "time frame" of this show? They mentioned the empire was gone which is why he didn't want the empire credits, so is this between Ep 6 and 7? or between 3 and 4? Or sometime earlier/later?

And yeah, not sure if I like it either. But I'll give more episodes a watch just to make sure I don't like it if that's the case or maybe I will like it. Even though it was short, the whole "learn how to ride the... <whatever that thing was>" was not needed, come on it's a 30 minute show, we don't need a training montage like Rocky.
The Mandalorian takes place five years after the Battle of Endor (Return of the Jedi), and the Battle of Endor took place in 4 ABY. So 9 ABY give or take.
Force awakens happens in 34 ABY.
ABY= Timeline. BBY stands for Before the Battle of Yavin, and AYB stands for After the Battle of Yavin

Last edited:

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked most of it and it is just the starter episode without a few cast members introduced. The mixture of CGI and physical effects felt right. The riding bit was campy, but not bad. Frozen carbonite was an interesting nod, but I didn't like it. I think it is going to be interesting to see how his armour evolves and how he acquired his helmet. Will he turn over the baby for the sake of his tribe? Does he slaughter the client and his bodyguards?

For those that didn't follow the animated shows this is the first dive into the Mandalorian culture so that has to be explained to new viewers.

Oh and they showed a toilet for the first time I believe. XD

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Frozen carbonite was an interesting nod, but I didn't like it.
Yep. Me either. In ESB, Boba Fett was not happy about having Han frozen, and he was doubtful Han would survive, so it definitely wasn't common practice (it also took a HUGE device to do it). I suppose maybe the argument could be made that the success with freezing Han could've led to it becoming a more common way to transport bounties for other bounty hunters, and maybe the tech evolved over the years after that so that it was more compact...but still I feel like making those jumps is stretching it. It mostly felt like lazy writing that didn't pay attention to the details.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is that actually Boba Fett? I mean sure it looks like him, but then he walked into the building and there were "fetts" all over the place, I don't know enough about SW lore to know if the Mandalorians were a group of people (i.e. all the helmet wearing guys/girls) or if it's specifically one person. But yeah making him into an "anti-hero" definitely seems way too campy if they're going that route.
It was pointed out to me that it isn't meant to be Boba Fett. So that made me feel I should be a little more open-minded about the way this character will be developed. It's another Mandalorian (Mandalorians are people from the planet of Mandalore). This show should explore their culture more.
When is the "time frame" of this show? They mentioned the empire was gone which is why he didn't want the empire credits, so is this between Ep 6 and 7? or between 3 and 4? Or sometime earlier/later?
This is post-Return of the Jedi, so it's between episodes 6 and 7.
And yeah, not sure if I like it either. But I'll give more episodes a watch just to make sure I don't like it if that's the case or maybe I will like it. Even though it was short, the whole "learn how to ride the... <whatever that thing was>" was not needed, come on it's a 30 minute show, we don't need a training montage like Rocky.
Same. I'm going to keep watching albeit somewhat skeptically. I agree that the learning to ride the animal was a bit campy and strange.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just a Disney money grab. The heck with Lucus’ story.. lets make money.
And don't use the actual character of Boba Fett so that you don't have to pay royalties...

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Me either. In ESB, Boba Fett was not happy about having Han frozen, and he was doubtful Han would survive, so it definitely wasn't common practice (it also took a HUGE device to do it). I suppose maybe the argument could be made that the success with freezing Han could've led to it becoming a more common way to transport bounties for other bounty hunters, and maybe the tech evolved over the years after that so that it was more compact...but still I feel like making those jumps is stretching it. It mostly felt like lazy writing that didn't pay attention to the details.

Speaking of jumping... baby yoda being in a basket seems like a stretch too. If say 900 years old is the normal lifespan, then a 50 year old should be closer to a 5 year old human than an infant. Though it might be premature at this point to guess development.

Loggerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mandalorian isn’t Boba Fett. Boba actually wore beskar Mandalorian armor according to cannon. Beskar, the metal which can actually deflect blaster fire and lightsabers, was all seized by the empire when they sacked Mandalore which is why the armorer says that it is good that the piece the title character brought was back with the tribe. The title character is still collecting beskar to replace the durasteel his current armor is made from. If he was Boba, he would have still had his armor when he escaped the sarlac pit. Any stomach acid that would have eroded the metal would have eaten the cloth and flesh off of Boba before the metal would have been damaged. It is possible that Boba survived and may even make an appearance, but highly unlikely.

While we are on the subject, the droid isn’t IG88 either. It was dubbed IG11 and made to be a new character altogether.

MikeSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the metal which can actually deflect blaster fire and lightsabers, was all seized by the empire when they sacked Mandalore which is why the armorer says that it is good that the piece the title character brought was back with the tribe.
Ah ok, now this makes sense why the metal was so prized, it had the Empire stamp on it even though earlier he complained about the Empire's currency being worthless. Not liking the fact that I need to read an article "All the Easter Eggs in the latest episode..." just to get filled in on the back story of everything that's going on.

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved both episodes. I had high expectations for this and I think it’s actually met them. I can’t say I’ve ever disliked any Star Wars films so take it for what

glad someone already pointed out the timeline as it’s pretty important to understanding the story.

If you read into things enough, The whole Mandalorian empire was it’s own society and universe with different clans. Kind of reminds me of the game of thrones.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know where the criticism is coming from, i thought it was great! I think too many people compare the new Star Wars to the old. Granted... i think Disney could’ve done a better job with episodes 7 and 8, but solo, rogue 1, and the mandalorian seem great. They’re getting there... hopefully whatever trilogy follows the Rey movies will bring back that original Star Wars charm

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

JK, I'm a Star Wars fan too! I'll binge watch it when the first season is further along.

Back