The missing crab mystery

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a crab problem.

I put them in. They hang out for weeks, doing their crab thing then they disappear. So far I’ve lost 4 emerald and one anemone crab. I’d love to add emeralds back in to help with my bubble algae maintenance but I won’t until I sort this mystery out. The first clue I had was with the last victim, my anemone crab. He started molting and I saw him drag his old shell under the RFA he called home. He never returned.

Today, during my routine cleaning, I pulled what appears to be a small Fireworm from one of my rocks. He was predominantly bright red with with bristles (apologies for the hasty photo below). He was a little guy—just over 1/2”. I’ve read that fireworms can prey on crustaceans and crabs are certainly at their most vulnerable during a molt. Can this be my perpetrator?

in any case, I’ll be setting out a trap to see how many more I can find.

A03375D8-024D-419A-BAD6-FBE39405E198.jpeg

piscesgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had to start completely over with a new tank, new sand, and new rock due to Oenone Fulgida worms. Tried to get rid of them for a couple months and got rid of the large ones (12+ inches) but there were babies in the sand and rocks that I couldn’t get to. They killed my wrasses, dwarf angel, a couple of gobies, and a clown before I said enough. All my crabs and small snails would only last a week or two. I don’t know what eats fireworms, but I sure wish you the best of luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back