The new King ?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be better, if the video was in english and we could understand what they were saying.

At the moment we are all speculating(unless of course you can actually read and understand german, then I stand corrected) on what is in those lights.

With that said, its an ATI I'm sure it will be a good light.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this you compared it to the Orphek...in the BRS review of the Orphek despite the good #s you can literally see in their video the nasty multi color disco effect it creates on the corals. There is a reason that radions with diffusers and Kessils with HD pucks are the 2 top LED choices. The scatter LEDs everywhere approach is what most the super cheap ones that noone wants do. I'm looking at you marineland LED stock bar.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this you compared it to the Orphek...in the BRS review of the Orphek despite the good #s you can literally see in their video the nasty multi color disco effect it creates on the corals. There is a reason that radions with diffusers and Kessils with HD pucks are the 2 top LED choices. The scatter LEDs everywhere approach is what most the super cheap ones that noone wants do. I'm looking at you marineland LED stock bar.
I have Orpheks and get zero disco effect, it took radions about 6 versions and hundreds of complaints to get the diffusers and lights anywhere near anything acceptable and you now need twice as many as they recommend to get a decent PAR deep in the tank, and anything like acceptable coverage, marketing is the only reason radians sell abit like APEX, oh and American loyalty to American products which is an ok reason.. I have no experience with Kessils as hardly anyone in Europe uses them...

fredk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Orpheks and get zero disco effect...
I think there is a range of susceptibility to disco effect. I've never seen it in an Orphek or GHL Mitras, and to me it was almost imperceptible in early gen Radions.

That said, I doubt you will see it with this new fixture.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys. It clearly has an opaque diffuser on it, how are we missing this. It’ll probably cost $2500 a panel, And doesn’t offer anything unique regarding spectrum at all, but I’d be shocked if it has disco

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the diffuser you can see the red is too spread out and going to disco
What are you basing this on? I have red LEDs 22” apart on my orpheks and no disco. If you have any scientific basis to support your statement please post it. The higher end tiles use RGB blending which Is Completely different to the cheap lights like marine land

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well one would be the orphek...everyone I have seen a video of has both red and blue disco going on. Maybe you don't see color well?
How many have you actually seen? And in the flesh and not on video? I see colour perfectly well thankyou, are you sure your not confusing shimmer with discoing?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose you could call it separated red and blue shimmer lol. IMO that's even worse.
You didn’t answer my question!!! Have u actually seen an Orphek or Lani light in person? Or are u basing everything you claim on the one video? I’m sure your aware that video frame speeds and TV screens affect how we see lights and in combination with the surface agitation causing shimmering can distort what we see and can even cause strobing!! Which is why I asked have u seen in person??? Or are you just the same as a lot of puck style LED owners who are annoyed BRS rated the Orpheks spectrum, coverage and very even PAR spread, better than any other point source tested LED? Give the new light a chance your biased guessing views about a product you know absolutely nothing about are not beneficial to anyone, And worse still are not based on anything scientific.. let’s see how it compares when it’s released... but I’m guessing it will be more bad news for point source LED users.. but that’s purely a guess...

1$adream

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having owned an orphek nilus fixture then the a v3 version - the disco effect is noticable in comparison to my maxspect celestial and kessils fixtures. Interested to see how this new LED from ATI goes cause i was interested in their sirus fixture but didnt pull the trigger cause it didnt hit each mark.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Orpheks and get zero disco effect
Having owned an Orphek Atlantik V4, I had significant discoing and color banding with moderate water surface agitation, even when hung at 20 inches above my tank. The PAR output was monstrous though.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil needs to make a panel with their dense matrix arrays, now that would be something! It will retail for $8980.99. Seriously though, if they could make it affordable nothing could touch it. This light looks cool, and I'm sure it will work well, I just don't care for the fluorescent look diffused LEDs put out.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the "it's from ATI, so you know its going to be good" group.
Pretty much any reefkeeping equipment that hails out of Germany will be the bees knees ! Germany was pretty much the birthplace of the hobby itself!

I do agree with JDA though, wait, maybe buy the improved or newer version that they will release in a year or two.

1st gen new products /models are always a gamble.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the "it's from ATI, so you know its going to be good" group.
Pretty much any reefkeeping equipment that hails out of Germany will be the bees knees ! Germany was pretty much the birthplace of the hobby itself!

I do agree with JDA though, wait, maybe buy the improved or newer version that they will release in a year or two.

1st gen new products /models are always a gamble.
Germans are known for great hardware, horrible software and user interfaces.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back