The oddball to beat all oddballs? Meet the Sea Robin!

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They can be quite colorful too!
http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+46+358&pcatid=358

The spiny crablike legs are a modifcation to their spine, and the side fins are only used to scare off predators. Why is this posted in predatory fish? You guessed it! It will swallow pretty much anything that fits into its mouth, and, HINT, it has a BIG mouth.

Now... To go about acquiring the blue finned ones...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I catch them all the time fishing up here in the Northeast. I just throw them back. I've heard you can eat them but it's tough to filet because of the hard shell like hide. They also make a grunting sound.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That red one with the blue and green fins comes from Japan.

The first three pectoral fin-rays are the "legs", and they've got taste-sensors on them, so the robins can locate prey buried in the sand. 'Round here, they're pretty common, and grow to a foot or a bit more. Most folks catch them on bait (they'll take most anything), but I've caught them on artificial lures as well.

Small ones are awesome in a tank, 'cause they're just cool!

~Bruce

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch them everyday at work
But hey, you gotta admit, they are sort of weird!

I catch them all the time fishing up here in the Northeast. I just throw them back. I've heard you can eat them but it's tough to filet because of the hard shell like hide. They also make a grunting sound.
Unfortjnately, I'm in the pacific northwest, sooo, I don't have have a chance of finding one that can live in my tank ;P

That red one with the blue and green fins comes from Japan.

The first three pectoral fin-rays are the "legs", and they've got taste-sensors on them, so the robins can locate prey buried in the sand. 'Round here, they're pretty common, and grow to a foot or a bit more. Most folks catch them on bait (they'll take most anything), but I've caught them on artificial lures as well.

Small ones are awesome in a tank, 'cause they're just cool!

~Bruce
Ah, so they're from Japan! Wonder if I could have one or two live ones sent here somehow...

But yeah, they're really cool! Actually though, I'm looking for something in the 1 foot range, as I have a pool with other predatory fish in it, and I don't want them gobbling up my fish haha.

But yeah, there's 100 some species of these guys, but they're rather fascinating tbh!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back