The old pool noodle in the window, outside air to the skimmer trick!

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my skimmer airline into a pool noodle that was closed into a window to bring in outside air.

I cut the noodle to size, and cut slits on the top and bottom so it would sit on the edges of the window top and bottom.

I drilled a hole on one side of the noodle and duck taped in a pvc pipe. The skimmer airline then connects to the pipe.

IMG_1270.jpeg

IMG_1272.jpeg

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it works. It's a great PH boost if you need one. I drilled a hole in my wall and ran a line in through a carbon filter. Last thing you want is to have your neighbor spray for bugs.

Pool noodle is pretty good thinking though.

OP
OP
bobnicaragua

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it works. It's a great PH boost if you need one. I drilled a hole in my wall and ran a line in through a carbon filter. Last thing you want is to have your neighbor spray for bugs.

Pool noodle is pretty good thinking though.
Can you show a pic of your carbon filter? I’m worried about my neighbors spraying poison and mosquito trucks.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show a pic of your carbon filter? I’m worried about my neighbors spraying poison and mosquito trucks.
At the moment no. But it's simple enough to explain.

1ft 2" of pvc.

One end capped
One end with a screw off cap

One of these mufflers on the outside. It stops the air sucking noise and keeps bugs where they belong, outside:
1000006277.jpg

And I used these QD elbows on the PVC caps.
1000006275.jpg

I put a coffee filter in the end with the permanent cap, filled it with cheap bulk carbon, and mounted it on the stand inline with the skimmer. I change the carbon every 6 months or so.

Something like a ROBuddie carbon filter from Amazon would do the truck nicely without diying a refillable unit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobnicaragua

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pool Noodle in the Window Revision1.

There were originally less bubbles when I first ran the skimmer line out of the window. I was also concerned with my neighbors or the city spraying poison.

I added a larger tube coming off the noodle for better air flow and a DIY carbon filter.

IMG_1285.jpeg

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There were originally less bubbles when I first ran the skimmer line out of the window. I was also concerned with my neighbors or the city spraying poison.

I added a larger tube coming off the noodle for better air flow and a DIY carbon filter.

IMG_1285.jpeg
Love the idea, but I think you might still be starving your skimmer for air. Typically you want to use both of those holes on your skimmer muffler and tee into 1 inch or larger pipe and an even larger carbon filter. Does your skimmer seem to get enough air with the new setup?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1285.jpeg
I meant to post this the other day and forgot to do so. So I'm glad you bumped the thread.

The mufflers I posted are hard to find if you don't get them out of a Johnson & Johnson spare parts bin.

If you are still concerned about bugs(these need to stay dry or you will starve your skimmer of air):
4 Pcs Air Silencer Plastic Exhaust Muffler Pneumatic 3/8 Male Thread Absorb Noise Filter Slip Lock for Misting Pump https://a.co/d/9RERwiG

OP
OP
bobnicaragua

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea, but I think you might still be starving your skimmer for air. Typically you want to use both of those holes on your skimmer muffler and tee into 1 inch or larger pipe and an even larger carbon filter. Does your skimmer seem to get enough air with the new setup?
Air flow is the same now with or without the outside airline.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 157 73.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back