OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@panic, Thanks for the opportunity. You have many options for sure. We just want to support the journey if you select us or a different builder. The right choice is your choice.

Thanks Joe! I’m hung between a few variables for sure. I’m a big time “support local” guy so I want to give my local reef shop a chance for the biz, he reps Planet which is solid and they hit my marks for specs with cost for the cube. My 5 foot long tank with them is out of my budget by... woah.

Your Cube quote is much better priced, but it’s not my ideal overflow since it spans the width of the tank in the back. I need it to be half the distance so that the returns can punch through in the corners so that nothing goes over the top. the overflow plus clean returns

CDA tanks are so pretty... they are close with the cube price with the overflow I want, the 5’ tank is only 1k more and I want that size soooo bad. I’m a blue collar guy so I’m not able to consider just tossing money around without losing sleep over the thought of it. Which I am. It’s why I’m typing this now actually. Oh the irony.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Joe! I’m hung between a few variables for sure. I’m a big time “support local” guy so I want to give my local reef shop a chance for the biz, he reps Planet which is solid and they hit my marks for specs with cost for the cube. My 5 foot long tank with them is out of my budget by... woah.

Your Cube quote is much better priced, but it’s not my ideal overflow since it spans the width of the tank in the back. I need it to be half the distance so that the returns can punch through in the corners so that nothing goes over the top. the overflow plus clean returns

CDA tanks are so pretty... they are close with the cube price with the overflow I want, the 5’ tank is only 1k more and I want that size soooo bad. I’m a blue collar guy so I’m not able to consider just tossing money around without losing sleep over the thought of it. Which I am. It’s why I’m typing this now actually. Oh the irony.
Tell Zoya this dilemma and ask when their next sale is. Maybe she’ll even just knock off 15% like she did for @Billldg. When I read that I was kicking myself for not asking for a discount when I ordered. ;Bored

It’s on post #58. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...4-tank-upgrade-dream-tank.734978/post-7796184

Can’t hurt, might help!

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have water in the new holding tank, everything looks good, and have some prep to do for when I move the lights over - centering them, electrical, etc. I had a backup iwaki pump that I used to feed this tank and I forgot how much water it moves. Especially with only 3 feet of head pressure. Holy smokes! It scared me when it started blasting water out of the return nozzle. I teed the tip which calms it down a little.

I also splattered the inside of the tank with Teflon paste. I was a tad too generous filling the threaded fittings to the pump and some got in the piping. It’ sprayed the tank when I fired it up. Imagine a popcorn ceiling... then stretching each dot about an inch because of the flow. That was fun cleaning up about a thousand white streaks off the black bottom and black silicon.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A little FTS from the iPhone...

also my budget sodium nitrate chem additive. I mix this with a gallon of RODI and dose 6ml 6 times daily via the GHL standalone doser.
FC04C2FA-2A14-46E9-A001-47D0E65F0B2E.jpeg

9DA62611-C523-43EE-8E39-6AA09AB8D5F9.jpeg

Don’t accidentally order this stuff...
4CF106AB-138A-434F-9434-9E132294D7D9.jpeg

Looks awesome!

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a switched outlet for each of the return pumps today. I have had the Iwaki running the whole system plugged into a power strip with a switch on it for the last 15 years... this is a little safer.

4E64B696-01C0-44B8-A4AB-90758F8DE292.jpeg

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled all the sps from the display and put them in their new home for the next several months. I shall call it the Lagoon, or that’s what I named it in EcoSmart Live. I moved over and reprogrammed 2 Mp40 which only needed to be run at 50% compared to 100% in the 220. I left the other 2 Mp40 in the 220.

I had to trim off the bottom of several of the chunks of live rock to they would sit flat in the Lagoon, which I did with an angle grinder and a diamond cutoff wheel. I waited several days before doing this to let the corals settle in a little bit first.

I’m still moving things around a little bit but placed everything about where they were in the display with some changes to a few that I thought needed more or less light. I just moved the whole lighting kit, but hung it a little higher for the first few weeks to let everything settle it. The ATI t5 fixture looks ok over the display, but the whole thing looks sad without the sps in there and all that light from The t5 / xr30 g4 combo.
6BF35033-5251-4086-A4D8-DA44578BC1B4.jpeg

20BE7CC8-CFCD-48AC-873D-D014528E06E2.jpeg

FFC434A6-FB54-444A-8ECC-F3AE60495820.jpeg

0448F3AD-E97A-4D63-91B1-973CEEB55524.jpeg

I had to get some Euphyllia because, well, I guess we don’t need reasons, do we?!:cool:

9D7DD9C1-F7D6-4FBE-9788-D81E04AC26CB.jpeg

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped out the Iwaki 70 for a Vectra s2 and I like it much better for the application. It’s such a tiny little pump! Less heat in the room and I’m able to control it along with the mp40s in the Lagoon. I turn off the return to that tank and leave the mp40s to barely spinning for an hour when I feed. I have been target feeding the acros with Benepets in the morning and Oyster Feast in the afternoon when the lights are on. I see better PE after only 3 days of beginning to use Ouster Feast.

48B53468-5E96-4F03-AD45-140756310CEC.jpeg

407A9946-EA44-4E2A-8E44-871EE13AF74B.jpeg

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been having random power outages lately and I was home during one of them last week. It only lasted about 30 minutes, but I was able to get the generator hooked up and show my daughter what to do when she’s home and it happens. It’s simple to do, but it’s good to make sure we are prepared. It was a good teaching moment.

F2B285F2-9963-41CA-970C-7EB57E48D170.jpeg

also I ran the pex lines from my water heater to the sump room to feed my heat exchanger setup. I have the manifold dry fitted and only need a few more pvc fittings to connect it to my heat exchanger and get this thing running.

the blue things are valves that open when the thermostat sends the command. The green thing is the pump. The first and third valve circulate water from the water heater through the heat exchanger. The second and last valve on the right side opens to bring water from the incoming main water supply. The cold water will be wasted at less than 100 gallons per day if the system is cooling.
4A9B9136-C0A4-42E6-BDE7-C5FE1F7F502C.jpeg

Last edited:

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doug,

So great to see you still in the hobby and with a build thread. I think we last hung out in 2009 when I was still in Kansas City. I hit a nadir in interest but have recently caught the bug again... You still bbqing?

Hope all is well, looking forward to following along.

Roni

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doug,

So great to see you still in the hobby and with a build thread. I think we last hung out in 2009 when I was still in Kansas City. I hit a nadir in interest but have recently caught the bug again... You still bbqing?

Hope all is well, looking forward to following along.

Roni

Roni! What’s up man?!!

Just one small local bbq comp a year now...ahem...Grand Champs this year... we spend most of our free time at the lake house these days, especially in the summer. Do you have a tank running?

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roni! What’s up man?!!

Just one small local bbq comp a year now...ahem...Grand Champs this year... we spend most of our free time at the lake house these days, especially in the summer. Do you have a tank running?
Congrats! That's impressive. Miss good kc bbq.

Small system running now. 100 main/24 zoo tied together. Work/family have taken up a bunch of time. Slowly easing back into things again

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my new tank! Here’s what’s coming:
- Planet Aquariums
- 48x60x24 peninsula
- low iron
- black back glass
- external overflow
- pvc bottom
- eurobraced

I started demo on the fish, er I mean Living room today. I ordered the material for the hardwood floor, scraped the popcorn off the ceiling, and will start the skim coat later this week. I have some frags to cut for some people tonight then I’ll take more coral and rocks out of the display and mo e it to a tank in the dump room downstairs. If I do a little every night I can be ready to drain it and take it to the local reef shop to trade for a stockpile of salt next week. I’ve taken a few tanks down in an evening and it’s no fun whatsoever.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa 48x60? What a footprint! That’s awesome. Yeah taking down a tank is hard work. You’re going to do it yourself? Always nice to have help. I give a big discount when I don’t need to clean it myself, LOL. My least favorite part.

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa 48x60? What a footprint! That’s awesome. Yeah taking down a tank is hard work. You’re going to do it yourself? Always nice to have help. I give a big discount when I don’t need to clean it myself, LOL. My least favorite part.

Ooh, good thinking. I’ll probably take it to work with me and clean it in my down time to give myself something to do. I’ll get a friend to help move the tank out of the house. I spend some time in the gym, but not enough to carry a 220 by myself!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back