The Penny Memorial Red Sea Reefer 250 (aka Giraffe's Build Thread)

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is a bittersweet day. I have been looking forward to starting this tank for months & my Red Sea Reefer 250 arrived today. As much as I want to be ecstatic, my heart is broken :(. My boxer, Penny, died very unexpectedly yesterday morning. She would have turned 5 at the end of the month, and was my best friend. She got me to smile on days when I wanted to do anything but, and inspired me to go on all sorts of adventures with her over the years.

Yes, this is a strange way to start my tank build thread, but I think it's important, since it's where my head's at. There's a giant (well, 49 pound) hole in my heart and life, and hopefully this reef tank will help provide a much-needed distraction.

And... I get the boxes all inside thanks to my amazing friends... only to find that half of the hardware for the stand is missing :mad:. A quick call to Red Sea, and then I was able to register my tank online & submit the request for the rest of the missing pieces to be shipped to me. But I was really looking forward to putting something concrete together to get the tank going! All in due time, I suppose.

Since I don't have a lot of awesome photos of my tank all set up yet, here is Penelope, aka Penny, Lopes, Bug, and the Polar Bear ... and one of the brand new Reefer 250!

This may not be the most traditional thread -- I'm warning you right now :eek: As in you might hear more about this 4-footed, oxygen-breathing MAMMAL a few more times, instead of all about fish, inverts & corals. If you're not adverse to that, I'm happy to have you follow along :)

Amanda

11930983_10101446617324325_8464498598960293703_o.jpg
20689581_10102428847611955_1827889872044499505_o.jpg

20776476_10102428449958855_4492054725768952745_o.jpg

IMG_9909.jpg

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on to more fish-related stuff, not all mammal stuff!

Other stuff that has been piling up on my doorstep over the past few months:
-Nyos Quantum 160 Skimmer
-EchoTech Marine Radion XR15 Pro G4 (x2) & hanging kits
-EcoTech Vectra M1 Pump
-EcoTech VorTech MP40wQD (x2)
-Heaters: Cobalt 150W (x2)
-Broadfield Return - Top Shelf Aquatics

And yes, I realize my skimmer is WAY over-sized for this size tank! I originally had started buying equipment for a Reefer 525, and plans had to change last minute. I didn't return the skimmer as I thought I could either use it on a timer if it was over-doing the skimming, or, replace it with the Nyos 120 at some point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I can't build my stand until the rest of the hardware arrives from RedSea, I thought I would try putting the overflow plumbing together. After a few minutes of trying to thread drains, etc. in the overflow, I realized that won't work with the tank sitting on the ground, as the plumbing extends below the level of the tank :rolleyes: Yup, this is all new to me! So that will have to wait until the tank is on the stand.

I got the Loc-Line Adapter Nozzle Kit from Top Shelf Aquatics connected to the original RedSea return. I had tried it a few times before & thought I was going to break either the plastic pieces or maybe a finger or two. But putting the pieces in super hot water for about 5 minutes softened them up enough that I was able to get them together. I only used 1/2 the Loc-Line pieces, as it looked way out of proportion to the overall tank size. Can always add them back in later if I change my mind.

And this seemingly small project distracted me for a solid 20 minutes that I wasn't 100% thinking about Penny. Small victories :)

IMG_9911.jpg

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the tank is officially mine. I got up the nerve to cut off the black vinyl backing! Turned out to be quick & easy. A razor blade and a metal baking sheet (didn't have a yardstick, though that probably would have been easier) and 10 minutes of time --> boom. No more vinyl backing!

I left a column of vinyl down the middle to hide the overflow, but otherwise it's gone. Each & every step is scaring me, but I've got this. Now if my cat would just stop getting in the photos of the tank, that would be great. He's a huge cat (21#), but he's making the Reefer 250 look TINY.

IMG_9921.jpg

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amanda -

So sorry to hear about losing your furball - I lost my big guy back in April, and I still havent really gotten over it. Its hard to lose such a big part of our lives, and Im sorry for the pain you're experiencing now.

Luckily, you've got a pretty decent distraction on your hands as well. Nice to see an actual tank and not just the angry musings and a promise from a UPS guy either :) Have you started to think about your plumbing? Are you planning on hard plumbing the tank, or are you planning on using flexible silicone/vinyl tubing for the drain and returns? I would say the most frightening part of putting this whole thing together is installing the overflow pipes, as numerous people have split the plastic collars on the tubes because they tighten them way too much. I suggest hand tight, pour a cup of water into the overflow (not in the pipes, just in the box) and check for leaks - you can then tighten any of the tubes that are leaking a smidge more if they are leaking. If not, then you should be good to go.

Take lots of pictures and document all the good and bad stuff - it makes a good read in a few months when you get bored. And you can see the beginning of where you made an "oops" when reflecting on it. Not to mention, we all get to see another tank without making the other people that live in the house angry about "another tank". :D

-Kris

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amanda -

So sorry to hear about losing your furball - I lost my big guy back in April, and I still havent really gotten over it. Its hard to lose such a big part of our lives, and Im sorry for the pain you're experiencing now.

Luckily, you've got a pretty decent distraction on your hands as well. Nice to see an actual tank and not just the angry musings and a promise from a UPS guy either :) Have you started to think about your plumbing? Are you planning on hard plumbing the tank, or are you planning on using flexible silicone/vinyl tubing for the drain and returns? I would say the most frightening part of putting this whole thing together is installing the overflow pipes, as numerous people have split the plastic collars on the tubes because they tighten them way too much. I suggest hand tight, pour a cup of water into the overflow (not in the pipes, just in the box) and check for leaks - you can then tighten any of the tubes that are leaking a smidge more if they are leaking. If not, then you should be good to go.

Take lots of pictures and document all the good and bad stuff - it makes a good read in a few months when you get bored. And you can see the beginning of where you made an "oops" when reflecting on it. Not to mention, we all get to see another tank without making the other people that live in the house angry about "another tank". :D

-Kris

Kris, I'm sorry to hear you lost your dog this spring. They seem to have an amazing ability to change our lives in ways that we might not even realize until they're gone. I'm headed back to work today so maybe that will be another good distraction.

I'm planning to hard plumb the tank and have a bunch of the PVC, valves, fittings, etc. all ready to start putting together once the tank is up on the stand. I'll be sure to not over-tighten the overflow pipes, and will try the cup of water in the overflow box trick.

Off to work. Though it's rainy & crawling back in bed is much more appealing!

Amanda

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels like Ground Hog Day :(

My replacement hardware for the stand just arrived (at 5:31 on the dot -- and RedSea closes at 4:30 CT), and while they sent a whole new box of hardware, I am STILL missing part 'R' -- it's 2 tiny looking dowels, I don't want to put the stand together if I don't have all the pieces. If I use anything else to build the stand, they'll void the warranty, right?

I was missing multiple parts in the first shipment, now I'm just missing both 'R' pieces... but it still means I can't build the stupid thing. Anyone else have problems with RedSea like this?

Or anyone who has built a RedSea stand recently -- do you remember what that part looked like or still have it unassembled so I can take a look at that one part?

IMG_9949.jpg

Last edited:

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels like Ground Hog Day :(

My replacement hardware for the stand just arrived (at 5:31 on the dot -- and RedSea closes at 4:30 CT), and while they sent a whole new box of hardware, I am STILL missing part 'R' -- it's 2 tiny looking dowels, but they're the 1st part needed to put the stand together. If I use anything else to build the stand, they'll void the warranty, right?

I was missing multiple parts in the first shipment, now I'm just missing both 'R' pieces... but it still means I can't build the stupid thing. Anyone else have problems with RedSea like this?

Or anyone who has built a RedSea stand recently -- do you remember what that part looked like or still have it unassembled so I can take a look at that one part?

IMG_9949.jpg

I downloaded the manual to see if I was missing something, but I think you have all the parts there, assuming your text is correct. Part 'R' looks to be the door stops that are on the triangular pieces already in your picture.

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I downloaded the manual to see if I was missing something, but I think you have all the parts there, assuming your text is correct. Part 'R' looks to be the door stops that are on the triangular pieces already in your picture.

Capture.PNG
Thank you Kris! Both you and @boozeman27 very nicely figured out what my brain was completely missing. Note to self: maybe tackling these things on Friday nights after a long week is not such a hot idea? That's 2 Fridays in a row where that's gone right over my head. Will start first thing tomorrow. I'm guessing I'll never live this one down though, will I :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will be a year old in a few weeks and I STILL havent leveled the doors... its on the to-do list... :rolleyes:

Get water in that tank already!

Never thought I would meet an adult more impatient than me!

I had to wait until last night to move the tank onto the stand. Strangely, people had more exciting things to do on a Saturday in August than to help me with my tank :p

Will get the original plumbing in there today to check for any leaks -- you're saying don't hard plumb it now @ksfulk? Just use the included RedSea plumbing?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Kris! Both you and @boozeman27 very nicely figured out what my brain was completely missing. Note to self: maybe tackling these things on Friday nights after a long week is not such a hot idea? That's 2 Fridays in a row where that's gone right over my head. Will start first thing tomorrow. I'm guessing I'll never live this one down though, will I :rolleyes:

No you won't live it down lol, sorry for your loss, love the cat.
Enjoy the start up. :)

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you won't live it down lol, sorry for your loss, love the cat.
Enjoy the start up. :)
Simon, I'll own this (and all future ridiculous mistakes) happily. I was terrified to start this tank in the first place, thinking I simply couldn't do it. But I wanted to face the fear of new stuff, and not let it keep me from trying things. So if me documenting my slow, somewhat comical journey helps one other person decide "if that chick can do it, I've totally got this," I'll be happy ;)

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amanda -

-Kris
The tank has PASSED the "did I screw up while tightening my overflow pipes" test -- as in several cups of water in the overflow box (not the pipes) --> NO leaks!

so the tank is WET now Kris... you happy :rolleyes: ?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simon, I'll own this (and all future ridiculous mistakes) happily. I was terrified to start this tank in the first place, thinking I simply couldn't do it. But I wanted to face the fear of new stuff, and not let it keep me from trying things. So if me documenting my slow, somewhat comical journey helps one other person decide "if that chick can do it, I've totally got this," I'll be happy ;)

You might get little hiccups along the way, just take a deep breath, slow and watchful usually works. ;)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back