The Plank Automatic Feeder experiences!!!

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at the Plank Automatic Feeder from Avast Marine. It seems that it meets all my needs:
- Automates my feeding
- Adjustable feeding times
- Able to pair with APEX
- Can use for pellets
- No batteries needed as pump and base will be connected
- Most importantly it seems to distribute the food very well in the water column and not so much into the overflow.

Anyone with experiences with this unit in terms of quality, how easy to set-up and program any other tips/considerations. It is very highly reviewed, although in their website.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup is easy and I love mine. You will need to provide some type of timer to run the feeder. You can program it on an Apex, use a smart plug, or even a manual timer. I have mine plugged into a Kasa smart plug for setting the feed times and length.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup is easy and I love mine. You will need to provide some type of timer to run the feeder. You can program it on an Apex, use a smart plug, or even a manual timer. I have mine plugged into a Kasa smart plug for setting the feed times and length.
What makes this better than say the eheim? Looking at auto feeders so trying to understand the diffs as the Plank is much more $$ and I dont have an Apex. Thanks.

OP
OP
Avengerx77

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Eheim everyday the most basic one. However, I do have some concerns in terms of timing my feeding program from Apex and match the same time from the feeder. Also, I fear I can forget to replace batteries and it will stop working when I am away. The other factor I am considering is how much of the food will go into surface/overflow even when using a feeding ring. The plank feeder has an internal pump in the tube that helps to ensure most food goes to the water column.
Those are my reasons for considering making the switch.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have been using avast plank for some time now- I use hydros controller to activate WiFi outlet multiple times a day as the feeder will not rotate a full 360deg when hydros activated. Been working pretty well this way. My fish always hover at outlet tubes exit and swarm like mad when food is dispersed. I recommend that outlet is located near power head/wave maker so food gets to all fish and not just some .seems that most feeders rotate the food container 360 each time where this doesn’t. Also made well although there was an issue with mounting initially but avast sent me the fix promptly. Price point a bit high I felt and has no timer included. Uses2 power plugs also( one for small water pump and other for rotation motor) the water pump runs the way I use the feeder 24/7. Hope this information was useful.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Eheim everyday the most basic one. However, I do have some concerns in terms of timing my feeding program from Apex and match the same time from the feeder. Also, I fear I can forget to replace batteries and it will stop working when I am away. The other factor I am considering is how much of the food will go into surface/overflow even when using a feeding ring. The plank feeder has an internal pump in the tube that helps to ensure most food goes to the water column.
Those are my reasons for considering making the switch.
Thanks, so the Plank is plugged in vs. batteries? That’s nice but I only plan to use the feeder if I go away a week or so replacing batteries would be part of the drill. Putting food into the water column vs. dropping it on top where most would go into the overflow is a good feature.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes this better than say the eheim? Looking at auto feeders so trying to understand the diffs as the Plank is much more $$ and I dont have an Apex. Thanks.
The plank is designed to rehydrate freeze dried foods which would otherwise float to the surface into the overflow with other feeders.

The mixing tube has a pump that will circulate the water in a mixing tube. When the food is hydrated it will sink into the tank. It also has an auger mechanism and allows feeding small amounts of food multiple times a day. It works well.

OP
OP
Avengerx77

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plank is designed to rehydrate freeze dried foods which would otherwise float to the surface into the overflow with other feeders.

The mixing tube has a pump that will circulate the water in a mixing tube. When the food is hydrated it will sink into the tank. It also has an auger mechanism and allows feeding small amounts of food multiple times a day. It works well.
But you can do regular feeds if you want, right? For example, larger feedings twice a day? How long have you had this unit? My main concern is if the pump fails, but I guess they sold this separately if it needs replacement, right?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have been using avast plank for some time now- I use hydros controller to activate WiFi outlet multiple times a day as the feeder will not rotate a full 360deg when hydros activated. Been working pretty well this way. My fish always hover at outlet tubes exit and swarm like mad when food is dispersed. I recommend that outlet is located near power head/wave maker so food gets to all fish and not just some .seems that most feeders rotate the food container 360 each time where this doesn’t. Also made well although there was an issue with mounting initially but avast sent me the fix promptly. Price point a bit high I felt and has no timer included. Uses2 power plugs also( one for small water pump and other for rotation motor) the water pump runs the way I use the feeder 24/7. Hope this information was useful.
I presume a WiFi plus like a Kasa could also be used.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s a nice feature.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presume a WiFi plus like a Kasa could also be used.
I guess so - I had the 4outlet hydros WiFi already and it’s working fine so no need to get anything else- I also use any small foods in it (pellets,crushed flakes, freezes dried brine shrimp)

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you can do regular feeds if you want, right? For example, larger feedings twice a day? How long have you had this unit? My main concern is if the pump fails, but I guess they sold this separately if it needs replacement, right?
You can adjust the programming to meet your system needs. I feed heavily. I use the apex to control the timing and feed multiple times / day with the plank because of the fish I keep. I separately feed frozen twice a day.

I've been using the plank for over a year and no issues with the pump. They do have an inexpensive replacement pump.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main difference is most other autofeeders tumble food out a slot and it is very hard to control how much imho comes out. The plank is auger driver like a drill and able to dose very accurate and small amounts.

I love mine, will never go back to the tumble style feeders that used to pollute my tank by overfeeding.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my experience, the Plank is very consistent with the amount fed. You can use fine powders up to pellets in it. The amount fed at a time is based on how long you run it. It uses an auger to dispense the food which is very consistant and reliable. The feed tube allows for dry product to hydrate before it gets released into the water column. This keeps the food more neutrally buoyant and less goes down the overflow.
I had a couple of the eheim and lifeguard aquatics auto feeders in the the past and the it always seemed like I was getting too much or too little food. They also broke after about a year.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back