The Power of Perseverance in Reefing

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today, let's talk about the incredible power of perseverance in our reefkeeping journey. We all know that maintaining a thriving reef tank can present us with all sorts of challenges and obstacles. However, I've seen reefers I know stay persistent and emerge victorious from those challenges! In the end, perseverance and staying the course will usually overcome these obstacles!

How has perseverance helped you to overcome difficulties in the hobby? Share your stories of how you've faced setbacks, equipment failures, or even unexpected coral losses in your reef tank. How did you keep going even when things seemed tough? What motivated you to persist and push forward despite the hurdles?

What are your strategies for staying focused and positive during challenging times? Did you seek advice from fellow hobbyists, consult experts, or experiment with new approaches? Your story may be the inspiration someone else here needs to keep going!

Know someone who has a story we should learn from? Tag them in this thread!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I "hit the wall" with my reef I apply the "24-hour rule", ie: sleep on any big changes. More often than not, just stepping away for a day often gives one more perspective to see things differently. A problem or challenge one day can lead to another solution or opportunity tomorrow.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I run a tank there are never too many problems so I’d say the biggest issue I have is getting bored or complacent. When that happens it’s easy to get fired up again by buying a new piece of equipment, fish, coral, cuc, etc.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've overcome Ostreopsis dino in two tanks, gha in all of them, aiptasia in a few (none in 5 tanks!), coral bleaching, ich and velvet (fowlr tank), stn, rtn, tank crash, and many other things. I have lost thousands of dollars worth of coral over the years (retail cost). But getting out isn't an option for me. It is who I am. Reefing will never be all "ups". She will knock you down when you are at your peak. How you handle those times is what makes you a good Reefer, imo.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, persistence has nothing to do with maintaining a reef, it’s about getting my system set up. It began by having to wait 18 months to get my tank from the crate in my shed onto the stand. It’s taken me a year to get to the sand/rock/water stage. Earlier this year I realized my planned ATO container doesn’t even last 6 days plus is opec so I can’t tell how full it is when I do refill it. Now I’m waiting for a custom one. It’s been one setback/hold up after another getting this thing even TO the starting line. But I’m stubborn and patient so one day I’m hoping it all clicks and I can sit and just enjoy my reef.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time I hit a wall with reefing, I figure out what the issue is, conquer it and learn from it. With failure comes knowledge, and learning from the mistake or issue.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Perseverance for me is directly tied to the health of our animals. When I want to get complacent I think about my fishy pets or coral who can’t take care of themselves.

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even this hobby being a money pit tine and time again (dead corals, bleaching, Velvet, ich), this small slice of ocean heaven keeps drawing me back for some reason or another. Wish I had this perseverance in other parts of my life too.lol

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all about the fish for me.
It's not their fault they are in my care so I better do it the best I can.
No matter what the issue, they come first.
The issue is usually my fault.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back