What is the most challenging aspect of the hobby to you?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
keeping up with manually dosing the big 5 (alk, cal, mag, no3, po4) in a small system with corals beginning to finally take off after some turbulence. clams are taking off too so it adds to the issue.

going to start a gofundme to get a controller/monitor….

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you suggesting a little extra buffering ability isn't a good thing in the tiny, unstable ecosystems we put in our living rooms?
Not at all. I run mine at 7. If it was stated that way no problem. In the 90's some were running 15-18.
Its misleading to tell the public something thats not true. It has nothing to do wirh what anyone runs their reef at.

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience. I just setup a new tank with old live rock and I want all the fish and corals lol. But also equipment. Sometimes I need to take a step back and realize if I really need it or not.
I agree. I just set up a tank and by "just set up a tank" I mean 6 weeks ago now. I want to add everything NOW but I tried adding my frogspawns and they were not happy. *sigh* ... I am going to TRY and be patient and wait for coralline to appear before I risk more corals.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not tinkering is incredibly difficult for me. Also, trying to catch that second gorilla crab that scavenged into my tank on live rock. I caught the first one and saw the second one today. Ugh.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Mr Bags is a funny guy.
Also you need a plan for when things go wrong.
A plan from day one will keep you on track, imo.
Its worked for 30+ for me.
trying not to quit when something goes very wrong. one of the hardest things to do. or hauling water through the house.

also nice cat the guy above me
Yep
...yep

I almost quit 8 months in....but I knew my wife would be super mad...after all
..I told her it would only be $1500...that soon turned into $3500. But here we are with 2 tanks now and all is good.

And cot darn
..I'm 45 now and must be a weakling.

Transportation of 5 gallon jugs of Saltwater from outside to inside and I'm spent....

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another one keeping the glass clean! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: All those perfect Instagram photos and Reef of the Month photos aren’t the reality lol.
Yep....
Yep..

When you see reef of the month on here or in reef magazine...read the fine print...dudes literally get up every morning and clean glass and sandbed...like religion....shoooot...ain't nobody got time for that!!

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My challenge has been changing from an all in one tank to a tank with an actual sump. I have finally got the water level right by having the trickle down the emergency drain pipe. Since then the tank has been doing great. Before that I wanted to sell it and go back to an Aio :face-with-tears-of-joy:

jstabile316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dealing with bryopsis, I’ve used fluconozole in the past and it always worked for me but now I’m 3 weeks into my 2nd treatment and I’m still seeing a few strands here and there and now cyano is starting to take over. SMH ‍

Last edited:

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh no way! Do they bleach out or go brown?
Bleached! Also I do dip them I know that may not have helped. But they didn’t die immediately they slowly melted away. Only one went brown and that was a monti and it turned white eventually. Also tried to adjust the water/when I was chasing numbers it didn’t end well so I don’t do that anymore. I ended up overdosing NOPOX and now I don’t trust myself to dose anything so I don’t. My other corals are thriving they are all LPS and softies though.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep
...yep

I almost quit 8 months in....but I knew my wife would be super mad...after all
..I told her it would only be $1500...that soon turned into $3500. But here we are with 2 tanks now and all is good.

And cot darn
..I'm 45 now and must be a weakling.

Transportation of 5 gallon jugs of Saltwater from outside to inside and I'm spent....
Wait until your at retirement age, lol. They just get heavier.

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest challenge is stopping myself from buying a larger tank. I don't really have the room, but keep telling myself surely I can squeeze something bigger in lol

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Challenging old mantras with new ideas and getting a conversation started to possibly advance knowledge vs waiting for some YouTuber to show off their success and now everyone talking about it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back