What is the most challenging aspect of the hobby to you?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From experience I know there are some fish and corals I can't keep, so I don't. You can't set up a tank so that every species is happy as some fish and corals require different things, different levels of light, different food and different circulation. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many challenges (especially as a new reeefer) but the one I’m currently dealing with… taking a vacation.

The fear I have taking my first vacation since setting up the tank is so strong.

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correctly diagnosing things like fish disease, and understanding why corals become unhappy, or die mysteriously. It just feels largely like guess work for me, as a new reefer.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many challenges (especially as a new reeefer) but the one I’m currently dealing with… taking a vacation.

The fear I have taking my first vacation since setting up the tank is so strong.
I can understand this one as I struggled with it years ago as well. However, I decided that I did not want to be a slave to my tank so I made some changes so that vacations were doable.

1. I started keeping lower maintenance animals. I chose hardy fish that were omnivore and that could live on flake for a time. I bought an Eheim automatic flake/pellet feeder.
I also chose softie/LPS coral that are tolerant of dirty water conditions.

2. I bought glass tops to cover most of the display to cut down on evaporation. Only the back 2" aren't covered with the glass top but rather a net cover with a hole where the auto feeder drops flakes.

3. I bought a simple dual float auto top off switch and I only use a gallon reservoir. With the glass tops, the gallon reservoir lasts 1 week. However, if there perchance is a mishap where water is called for continually, no more than 1 gallon is dumped into the 80 gallon system. I have seen too many tanks crashed with ATO incidents so this safe guards against that.

4. I have cheap Penn Plax battery backup pump to aerate the tank should the electricity go out. They come with a plug to plug into an outlet so they automatically turn on when the electric turns off.

5. I also have my powerheads and return pump coming from two different circuits in case one trips. That way the tank is still being aerated by one or the other.

6. Whenever possible, have a neighbor or friend check in on the tank once or twice a week. I went on a 23 day motorcycle trip to Alaska with this plan and the tank was in good shape when we got home. I always have some nerves about leaving my tank but it has gotten easier over the years.

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots - seems like perfect flow and eliminating dead spots can be annoying when cyano/dinos pops up there!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weeding out the helpful ideas from the not so helpful. Like vendors trying to sell solutions to non problems.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals in the tank… had a really good run but then the tank crashed coral wise when I got really sick last summer and had to have surgery and wasnt able to maintain the tank with water changes and stuff. They just went down hill really quick. Havnt been able to really get them going since. Slowly trying some zoas, a duncan, mushrooms and xenia in my nano to get back into them

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting perfection, but having to accept the reality of occasional losses and downfalls with no clear etiology.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back