The Project: Waterbox 60.2 Marine Plus

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how all of this got started, but I believe it was a late evening while I was perusing YouTube and I saw a link to a Biocube 32. I decided to click the link and was immediately hooked. While I have always been fascinated by having a SW tank, I always considered it, for some reason, out of the realm of possibility. I spent the next several weeks watching Utube videos and reading information on forums like this gathering information on how to make the dream a reality. During this time of research, I came upon other tank builds and manufacturers but nothing that interested me enough that said, "yeah, u want to spend more $$ for that." That was until I came upon WaterBox.

So, I have spent the last 2 weeks learning more about the hobby and configuring the equipment I needed for a 45.2 Marine Plus. All-the-while I kept looking at the 60.2. It was only $100 more, but I kept saying to myself that I had to cut it off some where. Welp, you know the moral of the story, I'm buying the 60.2.--Because bigger is better.;Smuggrin

It looks like hardware that I have configured for the 45.2 is transferrable to the 60.2. The real question is whether I have made the right choice in the first place.

I'm at that point that I need to bounce my ideas, thoughts, and choices off those who have a lot more experience than I do. A month ago i didn't have a clue how an aquarium sump system worked (not saying I do now:D), much less the names of any of these vendors. Heck, I would be ashamed to tell anyone how many hours I've spent watching videos and reading about protein skimmers alone--and i'm still not sure which one i want/need.--a little tongue and cheek.

I almost forgot. It probably will help it I told you what kind of tank I am looking to have. I'm looking to have LPS and soft corals, along with some fish and clams. I know i'm not dealing with SPS corals at this point.

The first part of this is going to deal with the hardware than runs and maintains the system. Ancillary stuff like testing kits, etc., will come later.

If a choice I've made will work well, let me know. If a choice I've made will work, but I might want to consider something else, let me know. Or Whatever you do, Don't do that.

Thanks for any help one wants to contribute.

1) Return Pump: I really focused here first. I started out trying to conserve $$ and going with a pump by Jebao from China. It got nice reviews, but in the final choice I decided to go with something premium... because I had a premium tank. I chose the Reef Octopus Varios 2 ( I was going to post a link, but it appears the system won't let me) From all accounts this is an awesome pump and should fit my system nicely. I did speak with a guy online that was using this pump in a Waterbox 70.3.

2) Protein Skimmer: As I mentioned earlier, this was a tough one for me. 3 skimmers in consideration: 1) Red Sea RSK 300; 2) Reef Octopus Essence S-130; 3) Reef Octopus 110 Space Saver. I'm leaning towards the RO 110 Space Saver. It has the smallest footprint of 6.1" x 7.87". I am considering doing a refugium in my skimmer box (10.2" x 14.6). I don't know if that'll leave me enough room, but if I have a chance this is the one that will do it. I would luv to hear any thoughts others have, as this is way out of my league at this point. Additionally, I have spoken with 2 individuals online that have the RO 110 and they claimed it worked well and would recommend it.

3) Powerheads: I cannot believe the prices of these things. I may end up spending as much for my powerhead as I am for my return pump. I have 2 in mind: 1)Reef Octopus Octo Pulse 2 Wave Pump; 2) Icecap Gyre Flow Pump. The Octo Pulse gets rave reviews and looks like it will do well for my tank. It's on the pricier side, but if it will do the job... here's my credit card. I love the whole concept behind the Icecap Gyre and the coverage it will give my tank, but it looks like it has some real dependability issues. If I knew this thing would work dependably, I would definitely buy it. I've watched and read a lot of reviews that give this powerhead a good rating, but I've also read too many reviews on this thing breaking down. I threw this in here because I would be interested in what others had to say.

4) ATO: I haven't spent a lot time on this, but one that stuck out at me and came within a price point I was comfortable with is the XP Aqua Duetto. By almost all accounts this should get the job done, but I am open to suggestions.

5) Aquarium Rock: I know I said I was going to keep this to hardware at this point, but this one has been bothering me.:D The whole curing thing just didn't appeal to me and I didn't want to spend 6-10 weeks dealing with it. So I think I found a solution... because i'm willing to pay for it. Arc Reef Rock offers fully cured rock at $2.99 lb. I figure i'll need about 45lbs. it's about double what I was going to spend initially for uncured rock and it's worth it to me. The reviews have been great. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would luv to hear them. Also, I think I am going to use their Purple Helix Coralline algae during the cycling phase.

6) Lights: As far as lights go, I am going with the lights that come with my package: AI HD Prime. I am told this will work for my tank with the livestock I plan on keeping. AI HD Prime have good reviews. If I need to add another one, I will on down the road. If I find they don't work well, i'll change them out... on down the road.:) This was an edit. I forgot to include this with my original post.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited:

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your looking at good quality pieces. It's worth paying more once than buying multiple times. Great start I think! Just remember, nothing good happens fast in SW!

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a wonderful build! My 70.2 arrived today and the quality is amazing. I’m really loving this tank and I’ve not even gotten it wet yet.

For equipment, I can’t give personal reviews but your choices thus far seem like things I’ve noticed others here using. Be sure to share pics as you go along! Very excited to see this build

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend the Tunze Osmolator ATO; it seems to be one of the most reliable of the different brands and not something you would want to compromise on for price.

I took a quick look at it at BRS. It comes highly recommended by the people at BRS. I'm going to look further into it. Thank you.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a quick look at it at BRS. It comes highly recommended by the people at BRS. I'm going to look further into it. Thank you.

Another thing to consider for your build is an Eheim return pump, they make a bunch of different models with different flow rates, and they are relatively inexpensive and pretty bulletproof.

I did not really skimp on any equipment for my reef but when it came to return pumps I did not think a DC pump was necessary and was too expensive. And, I have heard they can fail, and it is too important a piece of equipment to worry about. Good luck with your build!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did not like the tunze I found it to loud tried 2 pumps. tons of PPL do I have been running the autoaqua for 3ish years now love how small it is.

for lighting return pumps and power heads look up reef breeders there V2+ are great lights for a good price point same with there RPM power heads and there DC RT pumps.

OH and we all can relate I always thought SW was way hard but some how I just knew I needed to do it. that was 10 years ago...haha
welcome!!

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not like the tunze I found it to loud tried 2 pumps. tons of PPL do I have been running the autoaqua for 3ish years now love how small it is.

for lighting return pumps and power heads look up reef breeders there V2+ are great lights for a good price point same with there RPM power heads and there DC RT pumps.

OH and we all can relate I always thought SW was way hard but some how I just knew I needed to do it. that was 10 years ago...haha
welcome!!

thanks, Devaji. I forgot to speak about my lighting system. I have since added it. Thanks for reminding me. With my package the AI HD Prime is included. From what i've read and watched these are more than acceptable lights. Additionally, I am told one light will meet my needs. We will see. I'll take a look at reef breeders. ty

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a wonderful build! My 70.2 arrived today and the quality is amazing. I’m really loving this tank and I’ve not even gotten it wet yet.

For equipment, I can’t give personal reviews but your choices thus far seem like things I’ve noticed others here using. Be sure to share pics as you go along! Very excited to see this build

Awesome! Can't wait to see it up and running.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, Devaji. I forgot to speak about my lighting system. I have since added it. Thanks for reminding me. With my package the AI HD Prime is included. From what i've read and watched these are more than acceptable lights. Additionally, I am told one light will meet my needs. We will see. I'll take a look at reef breeders. ty

yeah the prime HD are amazing little lights it should do just fine for everything except SPS down low and clams.

best of luck!

shahprincea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of congrats. R2R is the right place to bounce off your idea.

I am also starting my 80.4 waterbox aquarium and here is what I have :

- Waterbox 80.4 with Hydra twenty six (x2) lights (I went with this boz it was avaliable and I wanted to have 4 feet long tank to have some tangs.... shhh tang police.)
- AquaMaxx ConeS Q-2 In-Sump Protein Skimmer (rated for 250 gallon or 130 Gallon heavy load)
- Nero AI 5 (x2) (love it)
- Vectra s2 pump (return pump)
- 40 lbs of LifeRock cave from Carib sea
- two power strip with individual switches
- Santa monica unit (used for algae growth) HOG 3
- RO/ID 150 GPD 6 stage
- Matrix Pond (for good bacteria)
- Heater Finnex Titanium 200 W (x2)
- Instant Ocean Reef Crystal 160 Gallon
- ULTIMATE 4-SENSOR ATO AQUARIUM AUTO-TOP-OFF SYSTEM - XP AQUA

Here is my build thread : https://bareefers.org/forum/threads/waterbox-80-4-frag-build-thread.24432/

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided on everything as far as the hardware for the tank, but I am still stuck on which protein skimmer to get. I really like the Reef Octopus Essence s-130, but it looks like it may be too much for my system. Anyone have any thoughts. I have considered the Reef Octopus 110 Space Saver, which should work for my system, but the reviews really make me question about going with it.

For the return pump, I'm going with the Varios 2. Powerhead: RO Octo Pulse 2 wave pump. After a recommendation (thanks Melanotaenia) and further review, I've decided to go with the Tunze osmolator universal 3155 ATO.

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ordered! Obviously, I have other things to purchase, but I got the major stuff out of the way this morning. I got all of this equipment through Saltwateraquarium.com

Waterbox 60.2 Marine Plus with Black Stand and AI HD Prime
Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite protein skimmer
Reef Octopus Octo Pulse 2 Wave Pump
Reef Octopus Octo VariosS-2 Controllable DC Water Pump
Finnex 300 Watt Titanium Heater w/Digital Controller
FritzPro R.P.M. Salt Mix Box 55lbs
Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Very excited to see this get going.

Me too. I'm spending the day ordering more equipment today. I am going back and forth about which reverse osmosis system to get. I know I am getting the 5 stage, but from whom? I've also decided to store my ro/di water in a 55g drum specifically designed to store water: Augason Farms Water Storage Barrel 55-Gallon Drum (Amazon). I'm getting ready to hit the buy button on my internal reactor from Avast: https://www.avastmarine.com/products/spyglass?variant=11053006339

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is being delivered tomorrow. Almost have everything to start tank, but reconsidering where I am going to place the tank. I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be to make a decision on placement; but once you decide and set it up, it's going to be real difficult to move it so u better make sure ur happy where you put it. Now i'm getting rid of some furniture and buying some new... all for the dang tank. Who knew? I should have it up and running within 2 weeks.

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox was delivered late this afternoon. UPS did an awesome job of taking care of it during shipping and delivery, but I have to say the packaging by Waterbox is incredible. Well thought out and superior to anything I have ever received. I am going to have to wait about 2 weeks before setting it up... unfortunately.

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple photos to look at. ;Smuggrin

20191004_183239.jpg

20191004_183258.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back