The Psychology of Reefing, Part 2 , "The therapeutic effect"

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also a combat Veteran with PTSD. We didn't call it that in 1970 and I wasn't diagnosed until a few years ago but I spent an entire year in the jungle in Viet Nam as a Sargent and didn't come out until they left me, still dirty in an Air Force base in New Jersey in the middle of the night with no money or civilian clothes.
I saw my share of combat and was awarded two Bronze Stars for Valor. The biggest battle I was in, where we were attacked by 400 North Vietnamese troops and we killed 200, I do not remember almost anything of the 6 hour battle until I helped put about 30 of our guys in body bags.

The VA told me thats one symptom of PTSD and a good one. Some things we don't want to remember.

A couple of weeks later salt water fish started to be imported and thats when I started my tank.
They say I am disabled from PTSD but I never thought that as I feel it made me a better person, just with no patience.
I have been reefing ever since and although I didn't think of it as something that helped me, I imagine it did and still does.

Because of reefing, I have no down time and I can always find something to do on the tank.
PTSD affects all people differently and free time or time with nothing to do isn't a good thing as my mind, and I assume other people's minds can't be still. We can't shut them off even like this morning at 1:30 as I was up "thinking".

I can't say reefing saved my life, but it certainly makes it easier for my wife. :D

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also a combat Veteran with PTSD. We didn't call it that in 1970 and I wasn't diagnosed until a few years ago but I spent an entire year in the jungle in Viet Nam as a Sargent and didn't come out until they left me, still dirty in an Air Force base in New Jersey in the middle of the night with no money or civilian clothes.
I saw my share of combat and was awarded two Bronze Stars for Valor. The biggest battle I was in, where we were attacked by 400 North Vietnamese troops and we killed 200, I do not remember almost anything of the 6 hour battle until I helped put about 30 of our guys in body bags.

The VA told me thats one symptom of PTSD and a good one. Some things we don't want to remember.

A couple of weeks later salt water fish started to be imported and thats when I started my tank.
They say I am disabled from PTSD but I never thought that as I feel it made me a better person, just with no patience.
I have been reefing ever since and although I didn't think of it as something that helped me, I imagine it did and still does.

Because of reefing, I have no down time and I can always find something to do on the tank.
PTSD affects all people differently and free time or time with nothing to do isn't a good thing as my mind, and I assume other people's minds can't be still. We can't shut them off even like this morning at 1:30 as I was up "thinking".

I can't say reefing saved my life, but it certainly makes it easier for my wife. :D

As a vet, when I say "thank you for your service" it's very deeply genuine.

I can say that reefing definitely has had a huge impact on your life., In turn it's helped many hobbyist over the decades, in ways you may or may not know. Your impact is long lasting and is very much appreciated among your peers. Thank you. And thank you for your service!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thank you for your service.

If it wasn't for PTSD, maybe I would have a goldfish reef tank :p

Last edited:

Picklepentagramsforjesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s amazing how many people fight there demons with something as simple as a fish tank and don’t know about everyone else but I’ve found so much success with my mental health through fish keeping and have had better results then medication and therapy combined

leighla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate articles that discuss the impact of this hobby on other aspects of our lives, I'd love to see more. I often think about how these micro worlds and our approaches to them mirror our needs (or are fuel and avenues for bad habits) in some way. This was a good read, thank you!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate articles that discuss the impact of this hobby on other aspects of our lives, I'd love to see more. I often think about how these micro worlds and our approaches to them mirror our needs (or are fuel and avenues for bad habits) in some way. This was a good read, thank you!

96B1BAAB-67BA-471B-BF85-979E235692F9.jpeg

I’m glad you enjoyed it! Thank you!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Psychology of Reefing, part 2 "The therapeutic effect".

un-58-896x580.jpg

Expanded upon the first article "The Psychology of Reefing" that I wrote some time ago, there are other emotions and physical effects that we go through keeping an aquarium in our homes, that is just as important and touches upon a wide variety of emotions, feelings and physical effects. This is an expansion of that and is needed to be talked about.

The therapeutic effect.

tn_image037_jpg.jpg

Our daily lives are full of stress, requirements of us. Be work, family or friends, even our own mental health and physical well-being coming into play with this. All of us are fully aware of what is placed on our minds and bodies everyday. It can be very overwhelming at times. Also what happens to others around us, be it friends and family, the daily news or financial burdens can have a toll on us all.

Many of us are constantly seeking for some peace and escape from reality. To forget about all of it. A place to ease our minds, a place to relax and meditate, even if it's temporary for short periods of time.

A reef tank can be that escape!

Be honest with ourselves, we all have sat for hours at a time staring at our little world's we have created in wonder. Amazed at the fact that we have this world in our homes. A living ecosystem totally reliant on us to care for. We did this. It's a extension of ourselves and it can have a effect on others in our homes as well. But it's much more than that......

The therapeutic effect our tanks give us is well documented.

PTSD-treatment.jpg

There have been numerous clinical studies done over the decades on how our aquariums heal us. Reduced anxiety, lowered blood pressure, reduced heart rates, reduced stress, over all improvement in ones sense of well being, reduced depression....the list goes on and on. Just Google "the aquarium therapeutic effect" to see the results for yourself. There's a lot out there.

It can literally save our lives too. Wayne Scott a combat veteran who spoke at Macna 2016 with a very moving speech, on how keeping a reef saved his life and gave him purpose after trying to adjust to civilian life. Worth every minute to watch.

PTSD is a real and damaging condition. It can be from combat as our veterans can full attest to, or individuals in civilian life that have experienced tragedy and live with it everyday. Our reefs can help though "the aquarium therapeutic effect". I have personally read countless stories of military veteran reefers telling of how their reefs have helped them, having better lives. Their stories are humbling and very powerful.

As a veteran myself, I can fully appreciate their selfless giving to our nation. They are all my brothers and sisters for life and beyond. Thank you.

People of all walks of life, rich or poor benefit from having a reef. Some have disabilities and health issues that having a reef help them cope with life. Their stories are as moving and inspirational to us all. I can personally relate to this as I too cope with health issues. My tank helps me each and everyday, keeping me focused, giving a sense of peace and relaxation. It's been very helpful after a long day at work and place to escape.

They are everywhere!

royal-childrens-hospital-aquarium4.jpg

I know you have seen aquariums virtually any where at sometimes in your life. Doctors offices, dental offices, hospitals and children's hospitals...etc. Why? They give a sense of peace to those going through stress, injury, disease and healing. A place to let go and forget about what they are going through, if only temporary. Health professionals know this "effect" on their patients and spend the money placing these systems in their facilities for this reason. As with other studies done on this subject, there have been studies in this area as well and back up this "effect".

Public aquariums have millions of visitors each year. Aside of the effect of wonder and amazement, there has been studies including the therapeutic effect on visitors. Again for the reasons I've stated, sense of peace and a calming effect. The pull and effect the ocean has on our minds and well being in a building that we can go and experience, has this effect on us. It can be very powerful and long lasting.

I have personally seen businesses that have nothing to do with the hobby, have a tank. Restaurants in particular. I personally ask to be seated as close to their tank as possible when can, but of course I'm a hobbyist, but it's so peaceful to eat close to the tank! Lol

And once again, in our homes.....

DSC_0017.JPG

The aquarium hobby, fresh and saltwater has millions and millions of hobbyists world wide. That includes ponds. There are good reasons for this and one of the big ones is "The aquarium therapeutic effect"!

So even if you haven't thought about it, hasn't even crossed your mind, your tank is helping you with your mental and physical well being and quite possibly those around you. It's a very good thing!

Live long and reef! Fins up!
Just saw this now Don. Great write up! Going back for a second reading.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a vet, when I say "thank you for your service" it's very deeply genuine.

I can say that reefing definitely has had a huge impact on your life., In turn it's helped many hobbyist over the decades, in ways you may or may not know. Your impact is long lasting and is very much appreciated among your peers. Thank you. And thank you for your service!
My lil brother is a vet of Iraq and Afghanistan. He went through a lot. He denies his PTSD although he has semi-admitted it. He’s a helicopter mechanic in Georgia now and enjoying it. If only I could send him a reef tank!!!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife was a nurse anesthetist during the surge in Fallujah with Bravo Medical. She saw the direct toll war has on a human being, en mass, and experienced things no person should ever have to. It took years for her to get help with her PTSD and she battles with it still. August through December is an incredibly difficult time for her, still, after 16 years. For all those that have served and particularly those that saw any action, my heart is with you all.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife was a nurse anesthetist during the surge in Fallujah with Bravo Medical. She saw the direct toll war has on a human being, en mass, and experienced things no person should ever have to. It took years for her to get help with her PTSD and she battles with it still. August through December is an incredibly difficult time for her, still, after 16 years. For all those that have served and particularly those that saw any action, my heart is with you all.
My utmost respect for her. It’s not something we ever want to experience and for her bravery, I appreciate it.

Picklepentagramsforjesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s amazing how many people fight there demons with something as simple as a fish tank and don’t know about everyone else but I’ve found so much success with my mental health through fish keeping and have had better results then medication and therapy combined
Side note just got diagnosed that I’m aspy and suffer from something called autistic catatonia And use fish tanks to stop my brain screaming at me if your lost on what’s wrong with you or your diagnose doesn’t quite cover all your symptoms then it’s probably autistic catatonia sorry to go on about it but honestly knowing this is what the problem was saved my life and I probably wouldn’t still be here if that was the case hope it helps and I hope everybody doing well if need information hit me up

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back