The R2R Budget Reef Tank: What do we need and what do we want?

Is it possible to set up a "budget reef tank?"

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 297 57.2%
  • NO

Votes: 114 22.0%
  • MAYBE

Votes: 102 19.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought it would be a cool idea for us all to put together a budget reef tank for anyone looking to get into the hobby and not spend a crazy amount of money. What we need to do is come up with everything that will be needed to set up the tank as well as sustain it's success for at least a year. Not sure how this will all pan out but let's give it a shot! I would like to compile all the data at some point and have a really good list that a new hobbyist could go by! So help us out!

PS. I don't expect everyone to completely answer these questions so just answer what you can or want to answer.

Let's outfit this tank up to the point where we can add water. NO LIVESTOCK!

MUST BE ALL NEW EQUIPMENT!

1. What tank would be a good budget starter tank?
Size, brand?

2. What are the necessary pieces of equipment that will be needed?

3. What are the necessary dry goods, consumables that will be needed?

4. Do you have any specific manufacturers or companies that you would recommend for certain products on a budget reef?
LIST WHAT YOU KNOW!

budget reef image via @aaron186
cYZzhSu.jpg

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it would be a cool idea for us all to put together a budget reef tank for anyone looking to get into the hobby and not spend a crazy amount of money. What we need to do is come up with everything that will be needed to set up the tank as well as sustain it's success for at least a year. Not sure how this will all pan out but let's give it a shot! I would like to compile all the data at some point and have a really good list that a new hobbyist could go by! So help us out!

PS. I don't expect everyone to completely answer these questions so just answer what you can or want to answer.

Let's outfit this tank up to the point where we can add water. NO LIVESTOCK!

1. What tank would be a good budget starter tank? Size, brand?

2. What are the necessary pieces of equipment that will be needed?

3. What are the necessary dry goods, consumables that will be needed?

4. Do you have any specific manufacturers or companies that you would recommend for certain products on a budget reef?
LIST WHAT YOU KNOW!

budget reef image via @aaron186
cYZzhSu.jpg
I have set up a low budget.
Used tank was 100g
Bought some cheap powerheads and timers. A really nice genx pump that was used. Used basement sump and some used halides.
I don't remember total cost, this was in the 90's.
I do definatly say that joining a club will help. Cost and knowledge.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the input so far!

If you're setting one up today, WITH ALL NEW EQUIPMENT, what would you buy and need?

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a post while searching this very topic for a 40-50 gallon new setup all inclusive for everything except maybe lights. for around $260 - $350. The links to the products didn't work anymore. Now, the same size all inclusive type of build is anywhere from $1400-$1800. So, in 8 years inflation just added on a $1000.

I'm not sure there's any budget friendly setups anymore. I had one used option I had discovered a year ago. I wasn't ready to bite the bullet then. The same $1400 setup, with all the nice add-ons was being sold used for $800. I didn't want to spend that much at the time, but I'm kicking myself now. As I may end up spending just under $2k for the same setup.

If there's budget options out there. I'm happy to hear them!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can find free or cheap tanks online all the time. I bought my tank for $15. My lights were purchased used originally. Live rock I got from other reefers and I bought live sand fairly inexpensive. I think Im into my tank (lights included) for about $400. Coral and fish is the budget killer.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can find free or cheap tanks online all the time. I bought my tank for $15. My lights were purchased used originally. Live rock I got from other reefers and I bought live sand fairly inexpensive. I think Im into my tank (lights included) for about $400. Coral and fish is the budget killer.
Nevermind. I just saw the stipulation that it must be all new equipment.

Check out upstart companies for inexpensive good equipment. @noopsyche and @Inkbird _Official are great companies with really good equipment for significantly lower cost.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a post while searching this very topic for a 40-50 gallon new setup all inclusive for everything except maybe lights. for around $260 - $350. The links to the products didn't work anymore. Now, the same size all inclusive type of build is anywhere from $1400-$1800. So, in 8 years inflation just added on a $1000.

I'm not sure there's any budget friendly setups anymore. I had one used option I had discovered a year ago. I wasn't ready to bite the bullet then. The same $1400 setup, with all the nice add-ons was being sold used for $800. I didn't want to spend that much at the time, but I'm kicking myself now. As I may end up spending just under $2k for the same setup.

If there's budget options out there. I'm happy to hear them!
I have to agree, New and budget don't belong in the same sentence these days.
Inflation and the new names on coral that drive them up...
Maybe with jebao pumps and gear and a very small tank it can be done. <$1000

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my 125 ,2 years ago this is what I purchased.
New 125 ensemble which includes the lights and glass tops ( 3 sections). On sale during Christmas for $499.
2 new wave makers for $20 each
3 hob marineland penguin filters $30. each
1 ehiem heater $50 can't remember for sure on the price.
6 bags black Hawaiian live sand $16 a bag
1 bucket of IO $37.
1 bottle seachem prime $10.
1 ammonia alert badge $7.
1 master test kit for $25.
10 pounds of dry base rock $15-20

So what ever that adds up to is what I spent. After 6 months I bought a better light for $100.
I had also spent a year buying coral skeletons a few at a time. Probably about $300 total for those.

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be possible to do a FOWLR tank on a budget, catch petco on their 50% off tank sale, use a good HOB filter and a cheap Amazon WaveMaker and heater.... lights can be cheap if you aren't growing coral and you don't have to be as particular about nitrates so their can be some fluctuation in parameters.

Once you start wanting coral I think you have to redefine what "budget" means. It's possible to use black box lights and a hang on skimmer, so it can be done "cheaper".... but not really cheap

casey012293

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don’t have high expectations for expensive fish, stony corals, and super fast growth, it can be done fairly cheap. I started this way and adopted a Biocube setup with fish, a couple coral, lights in the cube, and a tank with stand for $200. I could have kept it fairly cheap but a couple thousand dollars later I have it on a low maintenance setup with dosing and nutrient export, have upgraded my lights a couple times, and am loading it with SPS. It still would have been a great little setup how it was but I started wanting more.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallon breeder- $40
ehiem heater- $25
Seachem tidal 75- $60
Dry rock and sand- $100 from addictive reefkeeping
salt-IO 55 gallon $13
Budget light- $100 (nicrew, black box, etc.)
Seachem prime- $5
powerhead- $20

Total: $363
Only additions would be an ink bird temp controller and rodi unit for a 100 and would probably change the salt to a bucket and would last close the the year with water changes. So under 600 for the year or so with some livestock.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No such animal!!!

I started owning my 130 gallon and 30 gallon sump along with dry rock and I tried to go easy on the brakes, but this is an expensive hobby.

From top to bottom

Inexpensive lights $230
All plumbing about $200 give or take
$200 return pump
Free skimmer, $100 pump
3 power strips $90
Inexpensive dosing pump $70
RO unit $130
Brute can $30
Gravity feed ATO $20
Material for filter Sox $25
$200 for Hanna test kits
$100 Salifert kits
Milwaukee salinity $100
Milwaukee ph controller $120
$70 dual stage regulator
$200 regulator fittings
$70 for co2 tank

And all the miscellaneous items, that have a hefty price tag when consolidated
ELECTRICITY
The above captioned is not everything, just what I can recall off the top of my head.
No, I tell all my family and friends that this hobby is not for the feint of heart or the cheapskate. Let's be honest yes you can start a bare bottom tank that will eventually tear a hole in your pocket like a black hole tears through matter.
I tell anyone who asks that this is an expensive hobby. There is no sugar coating it.
It was cheap the day I decided to get back in the hobby, after the first drop of water hit the tank, it became EXPENSIVE!!!

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget is doable, just not ideal. You can have animals survive or thrive!
Completely wrong some of us cheap reefers have just as much successs. It is however more work can’t argue that though.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only additions would be an ink bird temp controller and rodi unit for a 100 and would probably change the salt to a bucket and would last close the the year with water changes. So under 600 for the year or so with some livestock.
Inkbird and rodi are luxuries, I would definitely recommend them though. Also the post said "setup" costs, not setup and maintenance. If it were me, I would definitely splurge on the salt bucket or box to make maintenance cheaper in the long run.

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a budget set up right now I made from tanks I had lying around. A 20 gal and a 15 gal plumbed together side by side.

Screenshot_20211210-112237_Photos.jpg

So with budget being the main consideration diligence and time will have to be higher on dosing and maintenance.

1. Aqueon 10g - reason being it's easier to maintain your basic balance with water changes only. 50% is only a 5gal bucket.

2. Oversized HOB filter Marineland Penguin 375 - make the intake shorter and put the strainer back on.
Cheap eBay heater or just always keep that room around 72°.
Reef Brite XHO blue 24" - you only need one and I've seen great success.
Macroalgae (Caulerpa paspaloides) - yes I put this in equipment, this does a good job of purifying the water and removing some of the excess protein, in my tank it replaces a protein skimmer.

3. Filter pads for the HOB filter, coral and fish food (Reef roids and PE Mysis), reef energy AB+.

4. As time goes on I would start with replacing the heater with a nice cobalt or other unbreakable heater. Brightwell, Red Sea, and Seachem are good for liquid supplements. Green Leaf Aquarium is great for powder compounds.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back