The R2R Budget Reef Tank: What do we need and what do we want?

Is it possible to set up a "budget reef tank?"

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 297 57.2%
  • NO

Votes: 114 22.0%
  • MAYBE

Votes: 102 19.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.2%

• Total voters

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can't think of a better point of entry into saltwater aquariums than the Fluval Evo 13.5. While an upgrade return pump is nice, it's not even required.

Heater? Not required in a temperature-controlled environment.
ATO? Not required, as the canopy minimizes water loss.

A bucket of salt, decent refractometer, a Sicce 1.0 upgrade, and sufficient live rock and substrate will double the price to $400 CAD. There's simply nothing else on the market that offers this quality for that type of price; other options (which involve larger tanks) easily bring you up to the $800-$1000 mark.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkbird and rodi are luxuries, I would definitely recommend them though. Also the post said "setup" costs, not setup and maintenance. If it were me, I would definitely splurge on the salt bucket or box to make maintenance cheaper in the long run.
I would argue a temp controller and rodi for a reef tank are necessities. That's one thing I love about this hobby is that there is no "right" way to do anything.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My budget reef would be a 40 gal breeder
Equipment would be:
Ice cap hang on skimmer K2-50
Hang on refugium
Live sand -2 bags
Live rock
Screen cover
Ai hydra 26
300w titanium heater
Salt such as Red Sea pro
Two koralia or Nero power heads
Liquid bacteria
Ruby rally reef for emergencies
Siphon
Two 5 gallon buckets
Thermometer

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would argue a temp controller and rodi for a reef tank are necessities. That's one thing I love about this hobby is that there is no "right" way to do anything.
I wouldn't have a tank without rodi. But I think it is possible without one and since this is hypothetically going the cheapest route.

I am also not the biggest fan of inkbird. Still had 2 degree swings with it setup. Since controlling with GHL temp probe, I have half degree daily swings. Below is a chart of the inkbird temp graph. Started controlling heaters with GHL temp probe on Oct 25th ~2pm.
1639157815786.png

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Setup my first tank for 300$
-Free rock from craigslist
-Free skimmer from craigslist (huge one)
-2 used 40 gallon longs with heaters 50$
One of these was a sump and one was the display
-Used black box lights (lol) 100$
-Used Mp40wes from craigslist 125$
-And salt 25$ (reef crystals goes on sale)
This was likely my most successful tank by the way.

only picture I could find, I had this thing absolutely packed!
Screenshot_20211210-113820_Gallery.jpg

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of was to pull this off, but one of the best way to save some money on flow is to use our Random Flow Generator® Nozzles instead of more expensive flow pumps

A good example is this small Waterbocx10 cube in our front lobby. not counting livestock you could pull this off for less than 500 bucks

1639158073112.png

Based on this 10-gallon build - here what we used

1. What tank would be a good budget starter tank? Size, brand?

Some of the Waterbox mini tanks are nice and easy to setup, and relatively inexpensive for what you get - WaterBox 10 Cube

2. What are the necessary pieces of equipment that will be needed?

Flow
- Random Flow Generators
Pump - SICCE Syncra Nano or 1.0
Light - AI Prime

3. What are the necessary dry goods, consumables that will be needed?

Rock

A few good chunks for Live rock out of a Buddy's established tank
(Probably wont cost you more than a few beers -LOL)

Substrate
A single 5 or 10-lbs bag of CaribSea sand

4. Do you have any specific manufacturers or companies that you would recommend for certain products on a budget reef?

@Vivid Creative Aquatics (sorry for the unabashed self promo here)
SICCE
@Waterbox Aquariums
Aqua Illumination
CaribSea

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.For me I think a 40 breeder is a perfect size between not to small and not too big for a beginner tank. I would get an Aqueon when they go on sale at pecto, then either buy a AIO kit or drill and add a cheap overflow box and another smaller cheap aqueon tank with a diy glass baffle for a sump.

2. I would get a inkbird controller and heater, and then whatever brand of cheap WaveMaker and return pump, then a skimmer if using a sump. For the lights I would probably go with a few of the Noopsyche lights which on sale can be had for really cheap or if even trying to cut costs more a Blackbox led.

3. IO salt, an optical refractometer (I refuse to settle for a swing arm hydrometer) and some salifert test kits. Plus whatever kind of flake or pellet food you want. I wouldn't have originally thought to mention it but a basic AquaFx RODI unit also.

4. For budget equipment I would definitely look into the ones I've mentioned like Inkbird and Noopsyche which are both great companies from my experiences with them and their products, and for pumps and WaveMaker I would go with Jebao. For the skimmer I would go with Bubble Magus (I've never used one but their reputation is pretty good for the cost)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't have a tank without rodi. But I think it is possible without one and since this is hypothetically going the cheapest route.

I am also not the biggest fan of inkbird. Still had 2 degree swings with it setup. Since controlling with GHL temp probe, I have half degree daily swings. Below is a chart of the inkbird temp graph. Started controlling heaters with GHL temp probe on Oct 25th ~2pm.
1639157815786.png
Even on the most budget of tanks I would still get both. I currently use an inkbird and I get about a 1 degree swing which I am fine with, and for a budget tank (trying to not go off topic LOL) it seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Everyone's opinion of necessity will vary. On my budget build I still listed a skimmer, which I'm sure many will disagree with me on.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the prices for a begginer set up now the "Biota Aquarium" package isn't a terrible deal. Starting at 600$ for 3 fish, 4 corals, cultured piece of live rock and bag of live sand. With salt and a heater on top and what is now apparently 200$ the fluval evo flex.
I find it interesting in the "Ultimate package" you get a Coral Beauty angelfish
I wonder how many months before a coral beauty outgrows an Evo lol.

My Fowlr setup 5 years ago a 27gallon cube with HOB etc and homemade stand was no more than 400$ everything said and done.

Startersetup.png

So, 700$ for this set up and that's not including any test kits or other little odds and ends that quickly add up. Oh, and also off course a 20$ bottle of bacteria.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
MUST BE ALL NEW EQUIPMENT!

1. What tank would be a good budget starter tank?
Size, brand?
Petco - 40 gallon breeder
Heater, powerhead(s), HOB filter - designed for a larger tank. Light
Salt, water:), Food. I like the API test kits (I know - heresy)
4. Do you have any specific manufacturers or companies that you would recommend for certain products on a budget reef? LIST WHAT YOU KNOW!
Already did list some. I like Brightwell neomarine salt - and with this type of tank more water changes will be needed. I would tend to provide more flow/filtration than needed for a usual 40 gallon tank

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good stuff everyone! Keep it up!

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s clear that you can start a modest sized 20 to 40 gallon tank with new equipment purchased from your local Reef store or if necessary Amazon and if satisfied with leaving it to slowly mature overtime, like a year, you can begin to add and improve and replace equipment.
For me the biggest limitation is whether you start with a cheap light and replace it later or invest in a Prime etc from the start. That said on an experiment I bought a “smat light”, (there have been several threads about it here) and with the exception of some fidgety controls it’s probably a decent coral growing light for a two to three-year period.
So yes if what you want to do is get into the hobby to learn it and then find out where you want to spend your money it is very affordable.

Kiwi reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget reefing is a very loose term, budge can be a glass box with a filter on it or maybe a red sea 170 it all comes down to what you can spend without putting yourself into debt because youve seen somthing cool on Facebook

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the prices for a begginer set up now the "Biota Aquarium" package isn't a terrible deal. Starting at 600$ for 3 fish, 4 corals, cultured piece of live rock and bag of live sand. With salt and a heater on top and what is now apparently 200$ the fluval evo flex.
I find it interesting in the "Ultimate package" you get a Coral Beauty angelfish
I wonder how many months before a coral beauty outgrows an Evo lol.

My Fowlr setup 5 years ago a 27gallon cube with HOB etc and homemade stand was no more than 400$ everything said and done.

Startersetup.png

So, 700$ for this set up and that's not including any test kits or other little odds and ends that quickly add up. Oh, and also off course a 20$ bottle of bacteria.
Wait, why is it coming up at $899 for me? That "ultimate" package doesn't seem like a very good deal to me, and would probably be a deal breaker for many people. I really like the Evo, but it is only 13.5g. And biota should be ashamed of themselves for selling these with coral beauties.

Joe's Coral Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
40g breeder Petco - $55
Stand - $160
fiji cube all in one filter - $140
Heater - $30
Sicce 1.0 return pump - $50
Radion XR15 - $465
Tunze Flow pump - $75
Total - $975

What are the necessary pieces of equipment that will be needed?
Heater
Return pump
I also think the Fiji cube all in one box thing it nescessary, gives you a place for some filter floss, hide the heater and skim the surface of the water. Bonus a tunze skimmer all so fits in it

What are the necessary dry goods, consumables that will be needed?
Salt
digital salinity instrument -
All for reef

Do you have any specific manufacturers or companies that you would recommend for certain products on a budget reef? LIST WHAT YOU KNOW!

I'm a sicce and tunze lover, yes they are a little more money but I feel they are totally worth it.

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up a low budget.
Used tank was 100g
Bought some cheap powerheads and timers. A really nice genx pump that was used. Used basement sump and some used halides.
I don't remember total cost, this was in the 90's.
I do definatly say that joining a club will help. Cost and knowledge.
No fun to me. I am a gear junky.

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it can be done, equipment wise - minus the livestock. If getting a tank at petco when they have the dollar per gallon sale, and most of the upkeep is done manually (not relying on automation) then sure, budget reefing can be done. I think a lot of it has to do with people claiming that high end products are needed in order to keep a tank successful which is simply not true.

1. What tank would be a good budget starter tank? Size, brand?
40 gallons or less, Aqueon or marineland

HOB filter, heater, non-electrical ATO (gravity fed) skimmer is optional. Basic LED lights made for reefs

Live rock and /or live sand, fish food, extra salt for water changes

4. Do you have any specific manufacturers or companies that you would recommend for certain products on a budget reef?
LIST WHAT YOU KNOW!

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, why is it coming up at $899 for me? That "ultimate" package doesn't seem like a very good deal to me, and would probably be a deal breaker for many people. I really like the Evo, but it is only 13.5g. And biota should be ashamed of themselves for selling these with coral beauties.

This is the 600$ one, it comes with 2 clowns and a goby.
If you bump up to the 700$ one it comes with 4 soft corals

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What tank would be a good budget starter tank? Size, brand? I’d recommend an Aqueon 40g breeder. I got mine when they still had the $1/g sales. I got a 20g tall for the sump. Total cost of tanks: $60

ATO. The Tunze nano ato is reasonable and what I started with.

DIY sump. I had the glass partitions cut at a local glass store and siliconed them in place. Works like a charm.

DIY plumbing. I bought regular white PVC pipe and painted it myself to have a great look and save a ton of money.

Skimmer: SCA-301 skimmer has worked great for me and very reasonable.

Return pump: “The Quiet One” brand is just like the Sicce and much less expensive. I think I paid less than $30 for mine.

DIY tank furniture: I built my stand and two small cabinets on each side of the tank. I used a small IKEA sink cabinet for the electrical storage and put a lift up hinged top on it. I built another cabinet to house the old and new saltwater for my AWC setup.

Apex Jr (if you can still find one). I’ve been able to do everything I need for my tank with the Jr. I still have available module slots if I want to add to my setup. It won’t support newer modules like the Triton, but for budget purposes it works beautifully for me.

ATI t-5 fixture: I waited until I could get an “imperfect” one from BRS. The damage was only cosmetic and I saved a ton of money.

Dry rock: I used Marco rocks and saved a lot by not buying live rock. The quality was terrific.

BRS dosing for alk, ca, mg is the best. Very reasonable and the dosing calculator on their site makes them super easy to use. If you can swing their 1.1ml/min pumps (c. $70) it makes life so much easier with two-part.

Testing kits: Salifert is reasonable if not the easiest to use. I wouldn’t buy API. It’s too inaccurate for a reef tank. I use Hanna checkers for alk and po4, Red Sea for ca, nyos for nitrates, and salifert for mg. This is one area I’d say invest in better testing kits.

BRS RODI unit. Great product at many different price points. It’s worth it to start with pure rodi water.

4. Do you have any specific manufacturers or companies that you would recommend for certain products on a budget reef? LIST WHAT YOU KNOW!

Tanks: Aqueon
Ato: Tunze nano if the tank is 40g or less
BRS products. I love them all
Home Depot for plumbing.

I’ll post more info as I think about it and some pics of my setup. Great questions!

image.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back