The reason to always have back ups!!!

MissyTwitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We live in Phoenix Arizona. It is Summer time and boy is it hot, like 110’F hot.

We have a 2HP chiller that keeps our system cool. It has done well for 4 years without issues.

Picked it up used for $1000 even from Reef Junkies. A month later we were at Ocean floor just perusing and passed the same unit in their Used Section. Out of curiosity we asked them about. I guess it came from Petco, practically brand new [less than 3 mo use]. I asked how much? Was told $50.00.........I thought he was messing with me. Turns out it had been sitting there for a while, too big for most average size systems, so they were just trying to get rid of it. My husband and I decided to pick it up as a safety measure, for the just in case.

Fast forward to today. I was taking the trash out and on my way back the chiller read 84’F.....thought it was an error kept walking, passed by other thermostat 84’F......dang!. It couldn’t have been more than 2hrs because earlier it was 77’F. That’s how hot it is in Phx to heat up 600g of water 7’F. So I Checked the chiller it wasn’t working. My husband and I were freaking out. We’ve had temp emergency in past when we were on vacation and couldn’t get back in time to do anything about it. This time its a much bigger system than are old 125g.......thank god for the back up chiller. Also because he used couplers it was a quick switch out. Thank Good for couplers.

Yay for Couplers!!!
8766B24E-40A7-4869-9E51-8E7F9E9AA202.jpeg

Old Broken Chiller to be repaired
5F3E1EA2-EA3F-4CD7-AA7B-FADDE8CC4EB8.jpeg

The System that is Saved
A5D14E17-C9CA-460D-B94D-2B1A46D304BA.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice!
I showed this thread to my wife hoping she would agree that I could get some backup equipment for the reef.
Without blinking, she tells me she already has another guy ready if I should kick off :confused:;Muted;Panda;)
;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
I showed this thread to my wife hoping she would agree that I could get some backup equipment for the reef.
Without blinking, she tells me she already has another guy ready if I should kick off :confused:;Muted;Panda;)

HAHA ;Bookwormo_O:);Happy Now that's funny @KrisReef!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back