THE REEFBOT PRO IS HERE!

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's even twice as fast as the old one that would still mean it would take a couple of hours to do one batch of tests. I don't think a customer at an LFS would wait that long for the results.

very true but...what if you didn't have to wait. Maybe what the LFS could do is take peoples numbers down and when the results are all complete they could get a text message with the results. So you could buy whatever u needed head out and maybe on your way home or by end of day you would get a message with your parameters.

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's even twice as fast as the old one that would still mean it would take a couple of hours to do one batch of tests. I don't think a customer at an LFS would wait that long for the results.

This was one of the reasons why the Mindstream was such a threat, It was the only unit that an LFS could put in a one quart square tank and just have customers bring in a quart of water and get the full results in 15 minutes.
The results will be emailed to the customer and the customer also can have his own app account and receive his results.
This feature will be released later on.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Now for a customer request.... ;)

What we need is the ability to tie this into a doser for automatic dosing based on test results. I'd love the ability confirm a high reading with a second test, perhaps even with a different reagent. Crossing my fingers for a reefbot peristaltic pump that is not a hobby toy, I for one would cough up more for build quality based whats commonly available out there now.

Or partner with ecotech/neptune so we can dose via the versa/dos based on reefbot results although a higher end reefbot doser would be even better!

I love daydreaming!

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Now for a customer request.... ;)

What we need is the ability to tie this into a doser for automatic dosing based on test results. I'd love the ability confirm a high reading with a second test, perhaps even with a different reagent. Crossing my fingers for a reefbot peristaltic pump that is not a hobby toy, I for one would cough up more for build quality based whats commonly available out there now.

Or partner with ecotech/neptune so we can dose via the versa/dos based on reefbot results although a higher end reefbot doser would be even better!

I love daydreaming!

We already release our APIs so any company or developer can link the results of the ReefBot to any online doser.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also believe they are pretty close to releasing their own doser that would work with the reefbot.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also believe they are pretty close to releasing their own doser that would work with the reefbot.
I though it already had a doser built in. How does the older unit get water into the vials?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I though it already had a doser built in. How does the older unit get water into the vials?

Im talking about like a doser doser. So the reefbot can test and than can run a reefkinetics brand doser to adjust for iunstance alkalinity. Think of it like the neptune trident and the DOS. I think that is the concept they are going for.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty dang expensive imho. And I’m speaking as a person with a complete apex system with a trident. It’s cool and a good concept but 3k is up there. That’s the price of 5 tridents...
A more reasonable comparison would be the trident to the $900 reefbot model. In my opinion the reefbot is far superior because it can test more parameters with whatever frequency you desire. The only thing the trident has on the reefbot is how easy it is to link the trident with a dos.

Question for @drernesto - Can you easily export/download your testing history into say an excel file off the app? I like the idea of being able to look through my history outside the app.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for LFS...

I don't know if they thought out the marketing of this properly.
If it is geared towards LFS use and they have a two hour wait to get all the results, that means in a 12 hour day they may be able to test six samples of water! Given the cost of supplies and the machine it would take a zillion years for an LFS to make back their money on this investment.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I think these concepts are cool and all, but are people that lazy to do some testing? I buy a bunch of salifert test kits to test what I need and it takes me 20 secs for whatever I need to test (Which is really just alk).

I guess some people just need to have whatever "gear" is out there, but $3k to test what I can do in 20 secs? No thanks, but keep up the ingenuity.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My common sense is questioning things here.

So you can test a lot of parameter's and that's cool but in all honesty do we need to know that many and how often. If we are dosing something in particular and can automate that test for it kudos, I get that, but this is a specific situation at best for the main display anyway.

The Ammonia and copper testing would be quite beneficial for a QT tank.
But I fail to see the need for the main display.

Yes the five I think we need to know regularly.
Ca, Alk, Mag, Phosphates (Po4), and Nitrate (No3)
Am I wrong but doesent the original unit cover all these?

The benefit I see with this unit is the ability to connect more than one tank.
So you can set it up to have separate duplicate tests for different tanks.
This reduces the possibility of cross contamination.

That being said I could purchase three original units for $300.00 less than the Pro.
This gives me 24 vials instead of 21 and the ability to monitor three separate tanks.
Or two tanks if I wanted to double up on one for added tests.

I guess I am too new a reefer to see the benefit overall maybe.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I want to know if how ACCURATE it is? Like real world tests with known values. Would happily spend the money for pro grade accuracy but I am not going to drop that kind of money on a "ball park" tester.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean I think these concepts are cool and all, but are people that lazy to do some testing? I buy a bunch of salifert test kits to test what I need and it takes me 20 secs for whatever I need to test (Which is really just alk).

I guess some people just need to have whatever "gear" is out there, but $3k to test what I can do in 20 secs? No thanks, but keep up the ingenuity.

Its not that people are lazy...which this bot helps those people as well. I personally own the OG reefbot due to me being away from my tanks for months at a time. It allows me to be in tune with my tank just like i would be if i was actually there. When I am with my tank i like to just enjoy it and not run test so i guess you can say im a little lazy when it comes to manual testing. The bot also helps take human error out of the equation which helps with consostent results. IMO this bot has helped me a lot as well as help me keep my tank as stable as i can while away. I agree 3k is expensive for the pro but i feel the price of the OG one is well worth for what it does. :)

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate doing water tests and contrary to another post, they don't take me 20 seconds either. To do five tests will typically take about an hour.
I would love an automated system but the price also comes into play. I could get a GHL KH and ION director for half the price of this system and they do the same tests and use up half the space and reagents. Even at half the price I still think that is a lot of money for automated testing.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is how I feel with all this automation. Testing is easy and I enjoy doing it!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate doing water tests and contrary to another post, they don't take me 20 seconds either. To do five tests will typically take about an hour.
I would love an automated system but the price also comes into play. I could get a GHL KH and ION director for half the price of this system and they do the same tests and use up half the space and reagents. Even at half the price I still think that is a lot of money for automated testing.
What tests are taking you an hour???

I check alk daily. Mine doesn't fluctuate much from 7.3-7.6 dkh, so with a quick push of the syringe I'm almost where I need to be and a few more drops of titrant gets me to where I am. The whole process of filling the syringe and testing takes 30 secs. tops. I check PO4 and NO3 here and there, and the only one that takes long is NO3, and that's 3 mins of waiting. Ca? Same thing might take a min tops, but I don't check that often.

I get it, Alkatronic, this, Trident, GHL... they're all cool stuff; I'm not hating on the tech, but for the price and how it's not much of an inconvenience (to me), spending close to 1K on a system is something I'd rather spend the $1k on elsewhere.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not that people are lazy...which this bot helps those people as well. I personally own the OG reefbot due to me being away from my tanks for months at a time. It allows me to be in tune with my tank just like i would be if i was actually there. When I am with my tank i like to just enjoy it and not run test so i guess you can say im a little lazy when it comes to manual testing. The bot also helps take human error out of the equation which helps with consostent results. IMO this bot has helped me a lot as well as help me keep my tank as stable as i can while away. I agree 3k is expensive for the pro but i feel the price of the OG one is well worth for what it does. :)
I feel you, but being in tune with your tank, IMO, is seeing it daily, knowing it THAT intimately, and knowing when something is actually going right or wrong, and knowing how to correct it. If you're gone months at a time, seeing numbers on your phone or whatever, what are you really "in tune" with? Numbers on a screen? So alk is stable at 7.5 for months, then dips to 7.0, you're not home, what do you do? Have someone add baking soda and then it brings it back up to 7.5; then the next day it dips again, and you're not home? Then what? Is something consuming that much alk? Or did something die, changing the ph of the tank, etc? What if alk jumps up? do you panic and shut things off? Are things not uptaking alk? and if so, what do you do? I'm not attacking you, btw, just things that come to mind when thinking of your post.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back