The Seawitch Lose Your Mind First Saltwater Tank Where I Make All The Mistakes So You Don't Have To.

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are well on your way. Will tag along. Nice sundial. Is it accurate?

Well, sort of. The gnomon should have been narrower to be more precise. Also, a sundial shows "sun time" which is slightly different than what we have on our watches, and it varies throughout the year. So, if you want it to match your watch, you have to correct for A) daylight savings time, B) longitude and C) the equation of time. If you're okay with how it differs from your watch, then yes, it's amazingly accurate for what it's measuring, true sun time. And it's a great conversation piece.

Edited to add: And when you place it, you have to have it face "true north" instead of north on a compass. "True north" or geodetic north is different from magnetic north or astronomical north. But it's not hard to do. I did it with my broomstick. :p

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, last night my husband asked me, "what are you putting in this tank?"

"Well, I thought you could have some input on that," I said.

"Then I want a spiny dogfish and green sturgeon," he said.

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been sitting for 2 months with several online shopping carts filled with stuff. I finally screwed up my courage and pulled the trigger last night. First, I bought locally a 15G for Q tank #1. After I set it up and see how I like it, I'll decide if I want the same for QT #2. I live in a small town, so I have to weigh traveling further afield to buy stuff and having a bigger selection or satisfying myself with what's available locally.

Here's QT #1, to be set up in the basement where the RO/DI unit will live.

IMG_3188.JPG

And here's the rest. Readers may not agree with what I selected, but fortunately, there are no aquarium police.

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.26.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.36.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.36.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.36.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.28.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.37.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.38.29 PM.png

Once I get the RO/DI unit and I know it's working right, I'll fill up my Brutes, and go buy live rock in Vancouver.

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here's your February update. I have my handy-guy downstairs right now, as I type this, building me a water station and plumbing in my RO/DI unit permanently. He's routing waste water outside and trying to make the thing practical and easy for me. This is in the basement, out of the way, and near where the water comes into the house (and near the furnace and hot water tank.)

IMG_3257.JPG

IMG_3260.JPG

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
February 28. Okay, after a few hiccups, RO/DI is working, not leaking, and is now producing water. I wanted to show that where my little tank is, I put a sheet of acrylic on the wall to protect the paint and drywall. Based on 15 years experience with FW, I know that the wall behind a tank usually takes a beating. Don't know if anyone else does this. Not sure if I'll be using that table or not. GFCI's are now installed.

IMG_3275.JPG

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your next step? Let's get that puppy wet!

Good things come to those who wait. Okay, QT1 is in place. I have to rinse it. DT is in place, I have to see how it's put together (AIO) and if I want to change anything, then rinse. RO/DI is still flushing. Once that's done, I'll start making water. The RO/DI is VERY SLOW. 90GPD in theory, but man alive, it's slow. I also have some other things to do like get a new article on the board. Have one almost ready, but it needs some rewriting. :/ So, I'll move to the next article in line.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had problems lately with (brand new) Spectrapure units leaking too, and I even got contaminated DI Resin from them. :eek: They used to be such a great company, but I think I need to warm up to buying my RODI stuff from BRS in the future.

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had problems lately with (brand new) Spectrapure units leaking too, and I even got contaminated DI Resin from them. :eek: They used to be such a great company, but I think I need to warm up to buying my RODI stuff from BRS in the future.

When we took it apart, we found that a coupler between 2 canisters was broken--maybe in shipping. We replaced it, and now the unit works fine. It was a big disappointment because I really thought I was buying the best.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back