- Joined
- Feb 22, 2021
- Messages
- 85
- Reaction score
- 45
- Location
- Chicago
- What state or country do you live in
- Illinois
Hi all,
I'm not necessarily (basically really hoping!!) that I'm bringing a question about bad algae to the team. But, hey, just want to see what's going on so I can learn and then see if anything needs to be done.
I'm about 5 months into the tank at this point - fluval 13.5 - and have some lovely softs, few hammers and some easier sps going.
About 4-6 weeks ago, the coralline finally started growing rapidly, though mostly colonizing plastic surfaces and maybe a bit slower to take on the rock.
In the past 2 weeks or so, ive started noticing a ton of white spots (very scientific, I know) appearing all over the rock work. I had read about certain things like this appearing before the actual purple/pink coralline would be visible. Added a photo where these are shown in the background behind the hermit and the coral ;)
Maybe this is something else.
Spots are hard to the touch and not easily scraped off with tweezers etc.
Any thoughts on what these might be?
8-8.15ph, 440-470 calc, 10-10.5dKh, nitrates hovering around 5ppm consistently.
Adding a view of the back panel to prove indeed have some lovely coralline growing in here!
Thanks for the ideas gang!

I'm not necessarily (basically really hoping!!) that I'm bringing a question about bad algae to the team. But, hey, just want to see what's going on so I can learn and then see if anything needs to be done.
I'm about 5 months into the tank at this point - fluval 13.5 - and have some lovely softs, few hammers and some easier sps going.
About 4-6 weeks ago, the coralline finally started growing rapidly, though mostly colonizing plastic surfaces and maybe a bit slower to take on the rock.
In the past 2 weeks or so, ive started noticing a ton of white spots (very scientific, I know) appearing all over the rock work. I had read about certain things like this appearing before the actual purple/pink coralline would be visible. Added a photo where these are shown in the background behind the hermit and the coral ;)
Maybe this is something else.
Spots are hard to the touch and not easily scraped off with tweezers etc.
Any thoughts on what these might be?
8-8.15ph, 440-470 calc, 10-10.5dKh, nitrates hovering around 5ppm consistently.
Adding a view of the back panel to prove indeed have some lovely coralline growing in here!
Thanks for the ideas gang!
