The start of coralline or something else?

mikedgrok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm not necessarily (basically really hoping!!) that I'm bringing a question about bad algae to the team. But, hey, just want to see what's going on so I can learn and then see if anything needs to be done.

I'm about 5 months into the tank at this point - fluval 13.5 - and have some lovely softs, few hammers and some easier sps going.

About 4-6 weeks ago, the coralline finally started growing rapidly, though mostly colonizing plastic surfaces and maybe a bit slower to take on the rock.

In the past 2 weeks or so, ive started noticing a ton of white spots (very scientific, I know) appearing all over the rock work. I had read about certain things like this appearing before the actual purple/pink coralline would be visible. Added a photo where these are shown in the background behind the hermit and the coral ;)

Maybe this is something else.

Spots are hard to the touch and not easily scraped off with tweezers etc.

Any thoughts on what these might be?

8-8.15ph, 440-470 calc, 10-10.5dKh, nitrates hovering around 5ppm consistently.

Adding a view of the back panel to prove indeed have some lovely coralline growing in here!

Thanks for the ideas gang!

PXL_20210629_214556183.jpg PXL_20210629_214606234.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snail eggs?

OP
OP
M

mikedgrok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snail eggs?
Well that is something i didn't even think about ... I added a couple of nerites (quick googling looks very similar for these eggs...) two weeks ago ... wouldn't have imagined this happened as a result, especially with only two of them in the tank... but ... looks like!

Now... to wait and watch??

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is something i didn't even think about ... I added a couple of nerites (quick googling looks very similar for these eggs...) two weeks ago ... wouldn't have imagined this happened as a result, especially with only two of them in the tank... but ... looks like!

Now... to wait and watch??
I have snail eggs littering my tank. Seldom see mini snails although it does happen.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back