The sump fauna.

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just had the new sump system in the basement for about ~4 months now, and I can't believe just how much is growing down there. It's like the Christians wrote, as it is above so it shall be below. I mean I have feather dusters growing in the glass, a limpit, that somehow is eating the algea in the skimmer/reactor section. Tons of pods and worms, the pineapple sponges are making a comeback. Amazing really. I'm wondering if there will be baby lighting maroon clowns in there one day.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps and Refugiums are fascinating, aren't they!
My refugium has only been established for about a month; currently, it contains:
- Ulva (primary nutrient export)
- Hitchhiker Chaetomorpha
- Green hair algae
- Copepods
- Amphipods
- Munnid isopods (probably)
- Live mysis shrimp
- Dove snails
- Micro brittle stars
- Spirorbid worms
- Cryptic sponges
... and Aiptasia ;Inpain

OP
OP
Llyod276

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your sump come from the ocean? I don't think I have that much stuff in mine. But who knows, I just gotta wonder how they get past the socks avoid the pumps and get settled. Even a dead moth in my return section.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your sump come from the ocean? I don't think I have that much stuff in mine. But who knows, I just gotta wonder how they get past the socks avoid the pumps and get settled. Even a dead moth in my return section.
I actually do not use filter socks (instead, I have insanely coarse Aquamesh), nor do I use a skimmer.
Most of the livestock I mentioned emerged from old LFS rock in my DT (which I believe originated from the Indo-Pacific when collection from the area was more popular and was sitting around, in the LFS, for a decade before I purchased it) and went down my overflow. However, I believe some of my refugium mud recently originated from the wild (as it contained large quantities of Mangrove leaves).

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back