The Synergy Reef v2 Official build - 48" x 36" x 30"

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after having our last tank for over 2 years, it is time to move everything into a new tank in our new facility office. Here is the link to our previous build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-official-synergy-reef-build-thread.125126/

Here is the list of Planned Equipment:

Tank: Custom Synergy Reef Acrylic Show Tank 48" x 36" x 30" - 3/4" Acrylic

Overflow: Synergy Reef 20" Overflow system ( http://synergyreef.com/product/20-synergy-reef-overflow/ )

Stand: Custom 80/20 Black Anodized stand

Sump: Synergy Reef CL-44 Laminate Series sump in Red Mercury color (http://synergyreef.com/product/synergy-reef-cl-44-sumps/)

Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 170 Skimmer

Lighting: Giesemann Spectra 48" 2 x 400w Radium - 4 x 54w T5, LuXcore Metal Halide Ballasts

Return Pump: Vertex V6 or Ecotech Vectra M1 (decision to be made before plumbing)

In Tank Circulation: 2 x Ecotech MP40QD

More details to come as the build progresses.

Here are some photos of the stand after we just completed the skeleton. Stand is built from aluminum 80/20 - 3" x 1.5" and 1.5" x 1.5" Black anodised. We used all stainless steel hardware on this to make sure it does not rust from the saltwater.

Full stand shot:

20151109_195336_zpsobuhph0o.jpg

Close up of the corner hardware:

20151109_195346_zpsxkawaxli.jpg

The main span is built from 3" x 1.5" pieces. We used large gussets on all the corners.

20151109_195400_zpsbbo8cf85.jpg

Last edited:

Bao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man beautiful stand.. Did you make it yourself?
Where did you buy the materials?

Thanks,
Bao

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks,
Bao

Heres a link to the stand material,
https://www.8020.net/

Seems like a great material to build a stand!! solid, reliable, can be disassembled, moved and reassembled at your new location, and not too pricey. definitely been planning on using it for my next build.
Its available from quite a few online providers. mostly building supply sites.

Heck, maybe SynergyReef, should start carrying it for all out stand building needs! ;)

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks,
Bao

Bao, Jlobes is correct, it's from 80/20. hands down the best material out there to build a stand out of. It is expensive though, but well worth it.

Heres a link to the stand material,
https://www.8020.net/

Seems like a great material to build a stand!! solid, reliable, can be disassembled, moved and reassembled at your new location, and not too pricey. definitely been planning on using it for my next build.
Its available from quite a few online providers. mostly building supply sites.

Heck, maybe SynergyReef, should start carrying it for all out stand building needs! ;)

We have been asked a lot about the 80/20. Maybe one day we could start carrying it.

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like these tank dimensions. And the equipment list is top notch. Following.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bao, Jlobes is correct, it's from 80/20. hands down the best material out there to build a stand out of. It is expensive though, but well worth it.

We have been asked a lot about the 80/20. Maybe one day we could start carrying it.

^thats probably a great idea! it seems to be by far, the best stand material available. I will be rebuilding my stand in the future, and will definitely be with 80/20. really like the black anodized as well.

since you dont stock it, can you point us in the best direction to purchase it? do you have a "best/favorite" vendor for it?

really looking forward to seeing this tank come to life. Agreed, that the equipment list is proper and Im sure the tank will be amazing. cant wait

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^thats probably a great idea! it seems to be by far, the best stand material available. I will be rebuilding my stand in the future, and will definitely be with 80/20. really like the black anodized as well.

since you dont stock it, can you point us in the best direction to purchase it? do you have a "best/favorite" vendor for it?

really looking forward to seeing this tank come to life. Agreed, that the equipment list is proper and Im sure the tank will be amazing. cant wait

I have found that just buying it directly from them via ebay is the best route. I have been buying it that way for a few years. It arrives quickly and they package it so it doesn't get scratched or damaged. Their shipping rates thru ebay are great as well. The connection hardware, bolts and nuts I order from tnutz. Remember with saltwater application make sure to get stainless steel. They are a bit more, but the standard black bolts and nuts will rust quickly.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that just buying it directly from them via ebay is the best route. I have been buying it that way for a few years. It arrives quickly and they package it so it doesn't get scratched or damaged. Their shipping rates thru ebay are great as well. The connection hardware, bolts and nuts I order from tnutz. Remember with saltwater application make sure to get stainless steel. They are a bit more, but the standard black bolts and nuts will rust quickly.

awesome! thanks for the tips and the response. Always use stainless, the tank environment is highly corrosive, thats why I dont keep any electronics in/under the stand.

quick question, do you order the 80/20 in long lengths and cut it to size? Or do they come in precut dimensions?

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! thanks for the tips and the response. Always use stainless, the tank environment is highly corrosive, thats why I dont keep any electronics in/under the stand.

quick question, do you order the 80/20 in long lengths and cut it to size? Or do they come in precut dimensions?

Both. Just depends on the price of the lengths. Sometimes it's less for the pre cut sometimes the longer lengths are. But shipping on longer lengths can be more aslo. I use a radial arm miter saw with a standard blade to get nice smooth cuts when I do cut it.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! thats what I thought, just checking. I figured sometimes its easier/cheaper to buy the 48" precut, but use the saw to cut your cross supports, as those are often an odd(not 18" or 24") size.
and of course, shipping is always a factor. I live in a remote spot(as you know) and shipping to here is always takes a day longer or cost a bit more.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back