the trick to adding more flow in an sps tank?

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As our sps grow out, it's important to make sure that the inner branches of the colonys are getting enough flow. In doing so- there's a fine line to walk where you add too much flow at once and the acros begin to STN-I recently had this happen when switching from 6100 to 6200 tunze. So let us in on your ideas if you've been through this-thanks

OP
OP
KEEPERZ

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kev- Roger's been too good to me too long to switch up, vortechs are much cleaner looking for sure. Over how long of time are we talking and does moving coral around come into play? Just trying to make an informative thread-

OP
OP
KEEPERZ

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great point Lam =) -but if you have 2-3yrs of growth and add frags......

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kev- Roger's been too good to me too long to switch up, vortechs are much cleaner looking for sure. Over how long of time are we talking and does moving coral around come into play? Just trying to make an informative thread-

I hear ya! I mentioned it because the Vortechs have the variable speed adjustment, as my corals grow larger I can raise the speed to compensate for larger growth by just making slight tweaks on the speed dial, slowly ramping up the flow. Moving the coral could come into play imo

OP
OP
KEEPERZ

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....and if you have acans and chalices in the tank :ah:

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....and if you have acans and chalices in the tank :ah:

let me put it this way...I have a 24g JBJ with a single MP40 rocking the boat, a ton of chalice's and a few acans, I put the acans under the or near the Vortech where the flow less, as for the chalice's they don't seem to mind the flow in my tank

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya! I mentioned it because the Vortechs have the variable speed adjustment, as my corals grow larger I can raise the speed to compensate for larger growth by just making slight tweaks on the speed dial, slowly ramping up the flow. Moving the coral could come into play imo

You can do the same thing with a tunze controller as well ;)

Reef Empire

I bleed saltwater.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Penductors might be the cheapest/easiest option. We've used them in many different situations to increase the flow in a tank and they can work well in the right situation... And they're only about $20!

Werdlone

what?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, penductors work well. I added them to my return lines and increased my flow that was much needed. I'm going to have to add some more pumps soon though. I'm thinking smaller pumps with wide flow in strategic areas..like maxi mods or koralia's. I just hate to think about the clutter in the tank.

Tswifty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently having some issues with this in my little 40. I've got a VorTech in there, and my larger mini colonies seem to handle the flow fine, but if I try to put a frag in the middle of my tank... it's a for sure goner... I've actually lost some nice pieces this way.

I'm using ReefCrest mode right now, and I don't want to dial it down anymore, or I'll end up with some dead zones in the tank... I also don't want to add another pump.

Kev... what mode did you say you were using?

OP
OP
KEEPERZ

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there you go Tswifty-that's what I was getting at. I have tons of respect for grown out SPS tanks just because of the flow challenge-thanks for posting, maybe Kev can help with the mode recommendation-

Dejavu

SPS Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When adding more flow and using pumps such as Tunzes, I would run them at a lower speed and slowly increase them over time. Kinda like acclimating corals to new bulbs. I know when I added my tunzes I started them at the same percentage (gph) as the pumps they replaced.

Another thought, but might not be an option for everyone is to grow them out for awhile in a frag tank before adding them to the display. A good friend of mine uses 10k bulbs over his frag tank and get great growth. Once they add a little size he then move them to the display.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a 1st gen MP40 which doesn't have the controller, just the ability to increase or decrease the flow so I wouldn't be much help with what mode to run. Deja makes excellent points about perhaps growing them in a frag tank or matching pre existing flow and then slowly ramping it up over time. I personally never had issues with flow killing specimens which is weird because I have so much of it in a tiny tank.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back