The Triton Method & a NEW Tank

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building my first SW Reef tank. I am super excited and enjoying the planning process and equipment gathering, etc.

I have been hearing a LOT about the "Triton Method" and am beginning to research it as the thought of no, or very few water changes is very appealing to me. This tank will be in my Family Room where everyone can enjoy it, not in my Man Cave with water lines, etc. where water changes are nearly automatic and are relatively easy.

But beyond few water changes, it just seems like this method will have the best chance at producing a very stable environment for my critters. I have read about changing an existing tank to the Triton Method, but very little about setting one up this way from the get-go.

So, my question is, when would I start dosing the Triton 4 part, etc.? I would assume I should begin doing these as soon as I have fully cycled my rock & sand, and add critters only after reaching said stable environment.

Any input (especially from anyone who is using the Triton Method) would be much appreciated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building my first SW Reef tank. I am super excited and enjoying the planning process and equipment gathering, etc.

I have been hearing a LOT about the "Triton Method" and am beginning to research it as the thought of no, or very few water changes is very appealing to me. This tank will be in my Family Room where everyone can enjoy it, not in my Man Cave with water lines, etc. where water changes are nearly automatic and are relatively easy.

But beyond few water changes, it just seems like this method will have the best chance at producing a very stable environment for my critters. I have read about changing an existing tank to the Triton Method, but very little about setting one up this way from the get-go.

So, my question is, when would I start dosing the Triton 4 part, etc.? I would assume I should begin doing these as soon as I have fully cycled my rock & sand, and add critters only after reaching said stable environment.

Any input (especially from anyone who is using the Triton Method) would be much appreciated.

I not sure that I agree with assertions that it will be most stable, etc, but it is a fine method.

Until alkalinity drops below where you want to keep it, I don't see a need to dose anything. It's the bellwether for calcification driving a demand for calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, etc. :)

OP
OP
PaulPerger

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not sure that I agree with assertions that it will be most stable, etc, but it is a fine method.

I think it will be the most stable for me as I tend to think I will be a "hunter of good numbers"... adjusting here, adjusting there, and often making things worse, not better. With the Triton waster testing and subsequent instructions on what to do, I remove my false assumption that I know I know what I am doing. I guess what I am saying is I know myself well enough to know that if I rely on myself, I will likely often make things worse while trying to make things better. But, if I adopt a method where I am getting a wide array of results and good advice on what to do to "fix them" I think I will be able to maintain a more stable environment.

This way I can still learn along the way, but I am not relying on my newfound knowledge to make decisions... Does that make sense?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back