The Vodka Method

Tinker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank had been established in Feb. 2008 it would be the right time for the brown algae stage but, being it was established in Feb. 2007, Unless you added new rock or sand to your tank lately (in the last two months or so)? that’s not it.

With both NO3 and PO4 being undetectable, I'm really not sure vodka and sugar is the answer. IMO, you'd be running a very high risk of starving your tank to death by using it I'd think. If you were having high readings I'd say go for it but, that's not the case. It's up to you if you want to try it but, do so with caution if you decide to.

FWIW my thoughts are, maybe try blowing or vacuum off your rocks (not your sand bed or as I'm sure you know, it can kill your tank) and try and get as much detritus off of them as possible, do a large water change, stop all vitamin and mineral additives and feedings for a bit and put macro algae in your sump add a refugium light for the macro. See if that clears it up. If it does, then dust off the rock regularly and when you resume feedings try doing half the amount you use to. No matter what there's usually going to be some kind of nuisance algae popping up from time to time for one reason or another driving us crazy.

I've never tried the Jaubert Deep Sand Bed Method and don't really know all that much about it honestly. From what I've read though, isn't it suppose to be able to control NO3 and PO4 all on it's own? I'm kind of wondering if you still have to incorporate other means to keep NO3 and PO4 undetectable and they're being exhausted so quickly, than what are the other benefits of using this method? Uneducated minds wanna know. lol

I'm by no means any kind of an expert. In fact, based on what little I do know I'm still a soaking wet noobie with ALLOT still to learn. With that being said, my best advice would be seek out someone more knowledgeable with first hand long term experience with your type of system and see what advice they can offer you.

Best of luck,
Kimberly​

stinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kimberly, thanks for advice again!!

I kinda found out where my problem was just a couple of hours ago!! My pump feeding the fulidised reactor where I had my PO4 remover media DIED. Not sure how long ago it died ... about 1 month since I checked!! Just finished plumbing it to my chiller pump instead, thus saving 1 pump at the same time!! Will monitor the situation again.

After additional reading on the vodka method, I also agree that it is NOT for me at this point. Thanks again for your advice!!

Tinker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hiya stinky, I'm glad you figured it out and 1 less pump is always a Bonus!!! :) Keep us posted on the situation.

Best of luck,
Kimberly

reefcleaners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There are easier and cheaper ways to get nitrates down to zero. You have to remember to you are causing a growth in all bacteria, not just the good bacteria. Skip the vodka, and go natural IMO.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back