The weller tanks.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Rick Mathew

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey R2R,

I've been lurking the forum for a few weeks I've decided its about time I post my meet and greet.

Preface to this post:
I understand that I have miss stocked my starter tank, I have lost an anenome due to my lack of research. I did however research my you'll see below.- I have plans in place to fix what will become an issue to you later in this post. Basically I know, I'm working on it and it's not a pipe dream, don't grill me nor call the police on me.

So I'm Weller, I have a wife who is currently supporting this hobby. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to hobbies; I've had a heap fail and I'm still battling a few that I started years ago. (Silly hedges along my front fence as an example)

We live in western Australia. We are both a bit nuts for our animals, we have 3 dogs, a cat and a goat. We have successfully spawned axolotls previously and had kept tropical fish for years.
My wife works in town where I work away for two weeks home for one.

In July I ordered a 17? Gallon tank. It come with a HOB filter using some weird foam inserts. I ripped those out and proceeded to run bio tubes and floof. I set the tank up using dry rock and live sand. After cycling the tank for 6 weeks I ordered my first livestock (online order with my spend hat on) we got:
1x black ocellaris
1x BTA
1x Small Torch frag (single)
1x Wall hammer
1x blue legged hermit
4x snail's. Cant remember the name, cone shape shell cant self right etc.
A few weeks later the BTA was dying so I went to my LFS over 8 hours drive away.
Finally saw what I could buy in person.
I got:
1x purple green geniopora
1x yellow green geniopora
1x purple green maze coral
1x what ever the brown coral i have is. Was told I could use it for nutrients removal.
1x another fish who went missing.

Then I took my wife the next time i went. She bought:
2x red mushroom corals
1x trachy
1x yellow head blue stripe sand sifting goby (diamond?)
And you've all been waiting for it a hippo tang.
Oh wait and a flame hawk fish.

The missing fish I listed earlier is litterally that, I can't ID it, its now gone, no ammonia spike nothing.

We also have a 6 foot tank, I've just pulled it apart to re-seal it. I've got most of the plumbing together and a 3 foot tank on the shelf with makeshift baffles in it.
My return pump, filter socks and holder and redsea skimmer are in the post. I just need to source lights as my current tank will stay setup as a QT. I will also need an ato, i have just put a temp controller on my current tank, never realised the 4°c temp swings until i could graph it. I also need a better way to take photos as my phone really doesn't do any justice.
20191123_183409.jpg
20191015_131604.jpg
20190901_130459.jpg

I can already tell this hobby will outlast the rest. I spend hours staring at that glass box.
You are in for a Great Adventure…WELCOME to the R2R Family…Nice Tank!!

Explore…Learn…Share

tIH.gif

Chefwheredyougo

View Badges
Reaction score
Welcome to R2R! Luckily for alot of us, the Tang Police usually don't show up on introductions lol. Tank looks great, and you seem to have a good plan established. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. Chances are whatever issues or mistakes you've made, thousands have before you and we can all help!

I have 2 axolotls that spawned a couple weeks ago, tadpoles are wiggling like crazy as I type this. Any info or insights you could share would be great. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/axolotls-mexican-walking-fish.665043/

How are you accomplishing water flow in your reef tank?

• Powerhead Type Pumps

Votes: 387 67.0%
  • Closed Loop

Votes: 20 3.5%
  • Return Pump

Votes: 322 55.7%
  • Wavemaker

Votes: 219 37.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.6%

Online statistics

Members online