The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it’s more likely because people don’t want female wrasses in general as they’re ‘dull’ and ‘boring’ instead of being due to difficulty of IDing them.
This has definitely been my experience with trying to get hold of female wrasse.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
today I’ll be doing some wrasse photos, any ideas who you may want to see from the (slightly more common) collection?

Obviously, the diamond tail will be photoed!
Well, I just spent a good 20 minutes trying to photograph everyone. As usual, I have the ones who refused to be photoed - Flavidorsalis and Xeni.
I’d love to add a couple others but that’s when I get a 5’ tank that that will happen. Still have the dream for a piscilineatus to go with the attenuatus but that’s probably going to stay a dream.
IMG_8081.jpeg

IMG_8078.jpeg

IMG_8076.jpeg

IMG_8087.jpeg

IMG_8075.jpeg

IMG_8072.jpeg

IMG_8070.jpeg

IMG_8068.jpeg

IMG_8088.jpeg

Atty was displaying today as well, he’s a stunner now he’s completely settled. Ironically, my jumpiest wrasse is the Xeni. I’m surprised it’s not one of the flashers with how often they go to the surface and ‘fight’ all the others. Another thing I may change after finding that lighting combination is white may become more dominant in this tank again depending on how I feel. I love how much the finifenmaa glowed and the displaying of the attenuatus was truly enhanced as he still had the blues that glowed yet the other colours were also more dominant.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just spent a good 20 minutes trying to photograph everyone. As usual, I have the ones who refused to be photoed - Flavidorsalis and Xeni.
I’d love to add a couple others but that’s when I get a 5’ tank that that will happen. Still have the dream for a piscilineatus to go with the attenuatus but that’s probably going to stay a dream.
IMG_8081.jpeg

IMG_8078.jpeg

IMG_8076.jpeg

IMG_8087.jpeg

IMG_8075.jpeg

IMG_8072.jpeg

IMG_8070.jpeg

IMG_8068.jpeg

IMG_8088.jpeg

Atty was displaying today as well, he’s a stunner now he’s completely settled. Ironically, my jumpiest wrasse is the Xeni. I’m surprised it’s not one of the flashers with how often they go to the surface and ‘fight’ all the others. Another thing I may change after finding that lighting combination is white may become more dominant in this tank again depending on how I feel. I love how much the finifenmaa glowed and the displaying of the attenuatus was truly enhanced as he still had the blues that glowed yet the other colours were also more dominant.
Awesome pictures. Love it!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on the taxonomic tree for wrasse but its a lot harder then I thought and there seems to be little consistency within scientific papers but as I work I thought I'd ask a trivia question:

What wrasse is most closely related to the largest wrasse in the world, the humphead (Cheilinus undulatus)?

a) Blue flasher, Pseudochilinus Cyaneus

b) Red coris, Coris Gaimard

c) Yellow.... wrasse, Halichoeres Chrysus

d) Yellow banded possum, Wetmorella nigropinnata

e) Twospot Maori wrasse, Oxycheilinus bimaculatus

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on the taxonomic tree for wrasse but its a lot harder then I thought and there seems to be little consistency within scientific papers but as I work I thought I'd ask a trivia question:

What wrasse is most closely related to the largest wrasse in the world, the humphead (Cheilinus undulatus)?

My guess would be E

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, this would seem relatively trivial nowadays with easy and cheaper whole genome sequencing. Any of the wrasse phylogeny people into sequencing?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, this would seem relatively trivial nowadays with easy and cheaper whole genome sequencing. Any of the wrasse phylogeny people into sequencing?
I believe this is what the paper I'm using to make this question did

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It sounds stupid however I’m leaning towards the Wetmorella or Paracheilinus genera.

I think I’ll go with the Wetmorella as it seems like one of the smallest of the wrasses would be closest in relation to the largest. They also have a similar mouth and body shape overall.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, have you guys got any downsides to Halichoeres prosopeion?

They’re a smaller Halichoeres so they seem like they’d be a more peaceful wrasse. I saw a gorgeous adult coloured specimen yesterday and think I’ll go on a hunt for a juvenile. For anyone wondering, here’s a juvenile and an adult (I believe it’s a male).
IMG_8132.jpeg

IMG_8133.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds stupid however I’m leaning towards the Wetmorella or Paracheilinus genera.

I think I’ll go with the Wetmorella as it seems like one of the smallest of the wrasses would be closest in relation to the largest. They also have a similar mouth and body shape overall.
Correct!
IMG_0349.jpeg

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 12.9%
Back