The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse are more resistant to parasites then other fish but are more susceptible to copper. Either skip the copper or use a chelated copper like copper power.
Thanks slocke.

I'm looking through my options of ordering an earmuff vs getting one from a lfs that I can see eat. The problem is that I know for certain that all the lfs around me have ich and flukes in their tanks (most fish look "ok", but i know its there).

So do I order one online through possibly a better source and risk damage in shipping, or do I get one from my lfs that I know has been exposed to ich and flukes.

I will quarantine him either way...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s wrasse Wednesday and I’m finally on time!!
IMG_9125.jpeg

IMG_9126.jpeg

And it kind of cheats but oh well! Here’s an FTS.
image.jpg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks slocke.

I'm looking through my options of ordering an earmuff vs getting one from a lfs that I can see eat. The problem is that I know for certain that all the lfs around me have ich and flukes in their tanks (most fish look "ok", but i know its there).

So do I order one online through possibly a better source and risk damage in shipping, or do I get one from my lfs that I know has been exposed to ich and flukes.

Getting wrasse shipped is always a risk and unfortunately Dr Reef does not know how to ID fish. I have been happy with WWC though.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks slocke.

Wrasse can ship fine. The key is healthy fish that aren’t flipped and big bags and not the silly lfs bags that are cylinder shaped. Fish get pinched in corners. Also bags not filled rock hard with air.
Most important is holding fish to settle before reshooting. I never had a doa from proper places.
Tsm is good. Fish hotel is great. Any place that feeds healthy and holds fish is best option.
Highly recommend contacting fisHotel with what you want and they are qt’ed best possible way

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For wrasse Wednesday how about my post QT wrasse. I’m trying to get the tank to be pretty again but have to get the rest of the copper out.

Funny how your foxface is just hanging out, spines up. Is he usually more cautious during feeding time?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For wrasse Wednesday how about my post QT wrasse. I’m trying to get the tank to be pretty again but have to get the rest of the copper out.

Wait your fish eventually come out of QT. I been doing it wrong. My 100 gallon has 4 fish. Some of the fish have been in qt tank since maybe September.
Tired of always waiting to start meds for fish that don’t show so you start meds for the fish to come in and have to start a new tank. Waiting on 3 angels and then think I’m done qting fish. Been non stop since Covid

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait your fish eventually come out of QT. I been doing it wrong. My 100 gallon has 4 fish. Some of the fish have been in qt tank since maybe September.
Tired of always waiting to start meds for fish that don’t show so you start meds for the fish to come in and have to start a new tank. Waiting on 3 angels and then think I’m done qting fish. Been non stop since Covid
There are going to be some big fish in your tank in the future. I love that Maroon clown, beautiful shape. I got so tired of malformed clowns

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d share a few others in my collection. IMG_1705.jpeg IMG_1704.jpeg IMG_1703.jpeg

Missing from these pics is my ornate leopard and moyeri leopard wrasses. The Moyeri is the most scared and timid fish I’ve ever had. It will be out and about the rocks as long as I am no where near the tank.
Sounds like my magnificent fox. My normal one will eat from my hand but not the fancy one. Scared of me and its own shadow.
There are going to be some big fish in your tank in the future. I love that Maroon clown, beautiful shape. I got so tired of malformed clowns
Yeah. Too bad the maroon is an aggressive monster and moves more sand then even the engineer goby. As for the malformed clowns my first fish were a pair of those. My snowflake was so beautiful but also couldn’t swim right and eventually died. My female is still going but so much uglier than a normal ocellaris. If I ever get clowns again they will have to be natural ocellaris.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sounds like my magnificent fox. My normal one will eat from my hand but not the fancy one. Scared of me and its own shadow.

Yeah. Too bad the maroon is an aggressive monster and moves more sand then even the engineer goby. As for the malformed clowns my first fish were a pair of those. My snowflake was so beautiful but also couldn’t swim right and eventually died. My female is still going but so much uglier than a normal ocellaris. If I ever get clowns again they will have to be natural ocellaris.
Your maroon sounds like Felicia. She's spicy.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just so happens that I got a nice shipment from Eric over at tank stop in time for wrasse Wednesday.

IMG_1695.jpeg IMG_1694.jpeg

Carpenter Flasher, Blue Flasher and a pintail wrasse in the acclimation box with a pair of flameback angels.
Nice looking fish. Will be interesting to see how those flamebacks do aggression-wise as well as picking at corals. Any clams in the tank?

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clams in the tank and as far as coral nipping I doubt they would be anymore of a threat than the other pair of Flame angels, emperor and majestic angels that are also in the tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I have a true sore spot for angels, tangs and wrasses.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back