The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, ok. So the female coloration is mostly black then.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the temperament of the Brunneus is like? Do they play nice with other fairies?

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the temperament of the Brunneus is like? Do they play nice with other fairies?
I've never owned one before but I've read somewhere they are quite peaceful compared to other fairies.

It's going to be the last fish I add. I'm a little worried because the last fish I added was a Naoko's, which was supposed to be my last fish but I have a fish problem. If there are fights I'm going to buy a lid for my frag tanks and someone will get banished. I haven't had any aggression issues so far but I'm actually considering pulling the Naoko's from the tank for as month or two to try and reset the order in which they are added. Don't know if they will help anything.

This is the tank it's going in and the order in which they were added, I hope there are no fights.
  • 2 Clownfish
  • Halichoeres melanurus
  • Yellow Watachman Goby
  • Diamond Goby
  • 2x Swissguard Basslet
  • C. Cyanopleura - Darwin's
  • 3x Lyretail Anthias
  • Blotched Anthias
  • C. Aurantidorsalis
  • C Lineatus
  • C. Naokoae
  • C. Brunneus

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never owned one before but I've read somewhere they are quite peaceful compared to other fairies.

It's going to be the last fish I add. I'm a little worried because the last fish I added was a Naoko's, which was supposed to be my last fish but I have a fish problem. If there are fights I'm going to buy a lid for my frag tanks and someone will get banished. I haven't had any aggression issues so far but I'm actually considering pulling the Naoko's from the tank for as month or two to try and reset the order in which they are added. Don't know if they will help anything.

This is the tank it's going in and the order in which they were added, I hope there are no fights.
  • 2 Clownfish
  • Halichoeres melanurus
  • Yellow Watachman Goby
  • Diamond Goby
  • 2x Swissguard Basslet
  • C. Cyanopleura - Darwin's
  • 3x Lyretail Anthias
  • Blotched Anthias
  • C. Aurantidorsalis
  • C Lineatus
  • C. Naokoae
  • C. Brunneus
The brunneus will be the most demure out of that list, and naokoae can be pretty aggressive. Taking the naokoae out and returning it to the tank after the brunneus settles is a good idea.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered this fish from LA as a female/juvenile H. biocellatus but it looks more like a male or transitioning male to me? TJ/Hunter?

H.%20biocellatus_zpsrghyfp5s.jpg

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered this fish from LA as a female/juvenile H. biocellatus but it looks more like a male or transitioning male to me? TJ/Hunter?

It still has the spots on the dorsal, so def not a male yet. Mine came in looking just like yours; it took about 6 months before it became a male.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still has the spots on the dorsal, so def not a male yet. Mine came in looking just like yours; it took about 6 months before it became a male.

Gotcha. I didn't know if they completely lost those or not. The color was just different than the female pictures I could find. Thanks for the info.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is a male, but not a terminal phase male. The green stripes are different as a female and there is one more occelli.. The occelli are the last to go for terminal phase.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone doesn't bother him/her?

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a male, but not a terminal phase male. The green stripes are different as a female and there is one more occelli.. The occelli are the last to go for terminal phase.

My bad. I was going by fishbase which states - Juveniles and sub adults have a pair of ocelli on the dorsal fin which disappears with growth - I took that to mean that they haven't fully transitioned to male if they still have the ocelli.

In any case, they are a great fish.

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female brunneus isn't black. It has a goldfish orange hue to it and doesn't sport the crescent tail yet either. They are quite distinctive from other wrasses and definitely makes of the same species. They are also quite passive as stated above. I've had multiples with other wrasses and they aren't aggressive by any means

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female brunneus isn't black. It has a goldfish orange hue to it and doesn't sport the crescent tail yet either. They are quite distinctive from other wrasses and definitely makes of the same species. They are also quite passive as stated above. I've had multiples with other wrasses and they aren't aggressive by any means

So the all-black color is just transitioning male or do some stay that way? The ones I've "seen" online have green, yellow, red etc. The one on divers den looked to be mostly black. I'm just curious about the color variations.

JTreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've seen the terminal male brunneus are dark to black. More colors may be a transitional male. Could be a variably colored species though

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of this guy, and one I saw at a different online vendor that looked to have red-purple/green hues. Cool fish regardless [emoji41]
a1fdbc5f84d340ad3b9528bd4ea17c4b.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brunneus are quite color variable. Some looking like lunatus coloring with a charcoal dusting, others being much darker.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back