The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally found a local store that had a kuiteri in stock! Owner said it had been in store for around a month. Saw that it was eating well and took it home as I have wanted this fish for quite some time. I have had the fish for a week and she is eating well and is adjusting to my tank. I have two clowns and 4 zebra dartfish. My tank is a 120g 48x24x24 and would like to add some other leopards to the tank (thinking two more). I have observed the kuiteri this week and she is somewhat aggressive and will check my clowns and dartfish during feeding. Any recommendations on timing or what other leopards I should consider (meleagris, geoffroyi, ornatus, bipartitus)? I have heard that the kuiteri can be more aggressive than other leopards.
wrasse.jpg wrasse.png
Be cautious adding other leopards to a kuiteri in a 75g tank. The fact that it is exerting it's dominance over non-related fish does not bode well for introducing other leopards.

You can try introducing new ones with an acclimation box.

What's the general rule with putting together fairy wrasses from the same family? I have a male Rhomboid and was considering adding a male Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus.

They would be the only two wrasses.........I can add one or two more if it would help. For example a McCoskers or other small non aggressive species.
Larger tanks diffuse aggression. More species diffuse aggression. Rhomboids are usually pretty peaceful. Rubrimarginatus are a bit more assertive.

jumplittlechloe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be cautious adding other leopards to a kuiteri in a 75g tank. The fact that it is exerting it's dominance over non-related fish does not bode well for introducing other leopards.

You can try introducing new ones with an acclimation box.

Thanks for the feedback. The tank is 120g and I had a chance to watch more closely yesterday. She is periodically exerting dominance over my clowns which are smaller than she is. I know the tank she was in had some other species of wrasse as well as some tangs. I think I will watch for the next week or two and see if it subsides. I guess an acclimation box is in my future.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some questions about the first wrasse introductions to my tank. I just introduced a 4 inch lineatus, 2 inch exquisitus, and a 3 inch solorensis and lawnmower blenny into my 110 after quarantine and everybody was eating well. I also have a 4 inch genicanthus Watanabe angelfish and she's bullying everyone. Not continually, but enough that I made more caves out of the rock and my lineatus decided she's going to hide except during feeding time. It's only been 3 days since release, but at what point do I try and capture the angelfish and put her in time out? She used to have another Watanabe angelfish, but she made her jump to her death when we were on vacation (screen went on immediately after).

I also have a pair of ocellaris clowns and yellow tang and they're not an issue.

Also the solorensis seems to just want to hang out near the surface, except for night time when he hunkers down like everyone else. He even did that when in quarantine. Is that normal for certain wrasses to pick spots and just hang out? The exquisitus is all over the tank, similar to the lineatus until he decided to hide in a new cave.
Tha flashers should be all over the tank. If they are being forced to the top corners or caves, then the aggressor should be removed.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tha flashers should be all over the tank. If they are being forced to the top corners or caves, then the aggressor should be removed.
Ok, I moved the angelfish to the sump. Real pain pulling the rock apart. I guess the question is whether if he can go back in a few days or needs to find a new home. I didn't think genicanthus were that aggressive? They're all fairy wrasses, not flashers, though I'll probably add flashers in the future.

Thanks

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My six-line wrasse. He is more intent on hiding and playing peek-a-bo when I turn the camera in his way. I love his personality.

IMG_20170312_134702638.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I moved the angelfish to the sump. Real pain pulling the rock apart. I guess the question is whether if he can go back in a few days or needs to find a new home. I didn't think genicanthus were that aggressive? They're all fairy wrasses, not flashers, though I'll probably add flashers in the future.

Thanks
Aggression seldom gets better. You could try reintroducing via social acclimation box and see if that helps.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody seen this tusk before...
2f5f3db24cab3dedde21a6864da05c6f.jpg
Choerodon robustus or zamboarga. Neither has good or accurately id'd pics. Gets close to a foot, not to be trusted with motile inverts. Closely related to C. jordani and ancherago(?spelling).

They started coming in on shipments from Bali the last couple of weeks.

Last edited:

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choerodon robustus I believe. Gets close to a foot, not to be trusted with motile inverts. Closely related to C. jordani and ancherago(?spelling).

They started coming in on shipments from Bali the last couple of weeks.

Just bought it from nyaquatics.. I have fish only and a 300 gallon.. Should be good for a little bit.. I like the oddball fish!!!

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a little more info

Looking at getting a orange saddle wrasse (Thalassoma duperrey).. I know the lunarre wrasse is very agressive but is this as bad? Long time ago I had one and caused no problems. I do have a harlequin tusk that is about 4 inches.. In a 300 gallon tank.. Any input much appreciated.. A lot of older posts just say how agressive these guys are

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cmaxwell, that is the absolute largest Jedi mind trick monti I've ever seen. That's insane. Nice juvi rhomboids as well, but seriously that MT is crazy

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these guys super hard to take care of?
4e44422bb04fb92daebf82f60242fdbf.jpg

Online it seems that they don't do well in captivity..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back