The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Howieumd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these guys super hard to take care of?
4e44422bb04fb92daebf82f60242fdbf.jpg

Online it seems that they don't do well in captivity..

I've got one. They aren't easy by any means. You need a very healthy pod population. The tough part is getting them through QT, where you need to make sure you're feeding them 4-5 times a day. They're also very finicky to mess. Once you can get them to your display, they have a better chance of making it, but getting them to that point is the tough part.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one. They aren't easy by any means. You need a very healthy pod population. The tough part is getting them through QT, where you need to make sure you're feeding them 4-5 times a day. They're also very finicky to mess. Once you can get them to your display, they have a better chance of making it, but getting them to that point is the tough part.

Thank u for that info....

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a little more info

Looking at getting a orange saddle wrasse (Thalassoma duperrey).. I know the lunarre wrasse is very agressive but is this as bad? Long time ago I had one and caused no problems. I do have a harlequin tusk that is about 4 inches.. In a 300 gallon tank.. Any input much appreciated.. A lot of older posts just say how agressive these guys are
They are just as aggressive as lunare. They will be fine with other semi-aggressive/ aggressive tankmates, but I wouldn't keep them with conventional reef-safe species, especially other wrasses or planktivores.

They have a pretty bad record in captivity, though females do better.

Besides having an established tank with lots of pods, stable kh is also very important with these guys.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at getting a orange saddle wrasse (Thalassoma duperrey).. I know the lunarre wrasse is very agressive but is this as bad?
They are just as aggressive as lunare. They will be fine with other semi-aggressive/ aggressive tankmates, but I wouldn't keep them with conventional reef-safe species, especially other wrasses or planktivores.
Agree; all Thalassoma can be pretty nasty. Not really suitable for a reef tank, unless we're talking public aquarium sized tank.

They have a pretty bad record in captivity, though females do better.

Besides having an established tank with lots of pods, stable kh is also very important with these guys.
Yes; a tough, finicky species. Females are in fact a lot easier, but not quite as eye catching.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree; all Thalassoma can be pretty nasty. Not really suitable for a reef tank, unless we're talking public aquarium sized tank.

Yes; a tough, finicky species. Females are in fact a lot easier, but not quite as eye catching.

I passed on them.... I have a few tanks.. What's your thoughts on red breasted wrasse? I do have a tusk...

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ A lot more peaceful than an Thalassoma, and about on par with the tusk. Motile inverts will be toast though, but you probably have come to be familiar with that territory. :)

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ A lot more peaceful than an Thalassoma, and about on par with the tusk. Motile inverts will be toast though, but you probably have come to be familiar with that territory. :)

Fish only... So he would coexist with tusk.. Tusk would be a bit smaller. He would be a bit larger but not huge... Another question, broomtail, I know they get huge but I have heard horror stories on how agressive and some people on how docile they were.. Any input great... Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found red breasted wrasses ignore other fish.

Broomtails are hit-and-mss as far as aggression goes. Some ignore tankmates and some throw their weight around.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found red breasted wrasses ignore other fish.

Broomtails are hit-and-mss as far as aggression goes. Some ignore tankmates and some throw their weight around.

So if it were you would you buy both and try it? I have someone that would take red breasted wrasse, I would keep the broomtail if it didn't work out? I appreciate any feedback...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it were you would you buy both and try it? I have someone that would take red breasted wrasse, I would keep the broomtail if it didn't work out? I appreciate any feedback...
I would only try it if you really like them. Personally, I wouldn't do a broomtail, but I think they're hideous.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only try it if you really like them. Personally, I wouldn't do a broomtail, but I think they're hideous.
Ditto, but the species doesn't excite me at all either.

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I was looking for a suggestion for a peaceful wrasse to get along w/ my ornate leopard wrasse. I have a 125 gallon FOWLR.. Would a radiant wrasse make a good companion?
Thanks!

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other owners of broomtail wrasses, give your experience please...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back